T-Mobile Vibrant unboxing video

If you get an unlocked Galaxy S, you won't pay a lot more than the no-contract price, but you definitely won't get 3G.

noooo!!! the $99 vibrant is gone from costco. It is now $199. I missed it! I looked at it yesterday and they were out. They still are though.

This phone is GODLIKE.

mine just came today and I have to concur.

I picked up the gel skin case from the t-mobile store which I like, but I'm still deciding if I like the t-mobile screen protector or not. The screen looks so amazing without the protector on it. Might have to try another protector when more become available from 3rd parties.

I'll be playing with it alot tonight.

That only works for new plans. I will be doing an upgrade. What is the best deal for upgrades?

It seems if you have a G1 you can upgrade through tmobiles site for $165. Some have upgraded with as little as 13-14 months through their contract at that price. I was 18 months through mine and got it for the $165 as well.

Anyone else bugged by the lock button being in a weird position on the Vibrant? It feels like I will drop the phone while reaching to screen lock.

Also, if you haven't yet, download Quake II for android. I don't think we can play it but the intro demo looks awesome!

yes it will once you have connected to it the first time and it says that it's 'remembered'

I had just got a new phone about 6 months ago and called up today about data plans for a possible new Vibrant. They offered me the fully discounted phone upgrade price with the rebate and I had to take it since I wasn't due for a new phone for 18 more months.:cool: Paying $69.99 for unlimited voice and data with the loyalty plan. and $4.99 for 400 messages.

t-mobile customer service is great when you've been with them since they were called <b>Voicestream</b>. new vibrant should arrive mid week in TX, can't wait.

This is so true. Whenever I'm in a tmo store and they see my record that I've been with them since voicestream they really go out of their way to help me with anything.

Anyone else bugged by the lock button being in a weird position on the Vibrant? It feels like I will drop the phone while reaching to screen lock.

the button seems to be near my thumb or finger depending on which hand i hold it in. so it seems fine here

But I didn't like the t-mobile screen protector that much so I tossed it away and just using the gel case now. Screen looks so much better without the cover on it.

Just got my vibrant yesterday...rooted the sumbitch and I am now running bloatware and ad free.... :D

I was able to block data without a hassle using APNdroid. Yay! No need to use this phone with a data plan, wifi is more than sufficient.

I get my vibrant next week, looking forward to it. I paid tmobile $200 on my old tmobile account, but I get a 15% discount on my monthly bill and have a custom plan for me(courteous of customer retentions) which will make up for it in a couple of months.

I have been so hesitant to go w/internet on my phone and have been on BB pearl since it released. I had no reason to upgrade as my pearl has been flawless up to now with buttons not working right.

Last edited:
i wonder how many people go over 5gigs in data plan. Thats a lot of data to be used in 30 days over 3g. You can still get the vibrant at Letstalk.com for $99 after MIR, I am very satisfied with their service. Got a free car charger and free overnight shipping and no tax, they paid the tax on full price for me. I got the captivate for 99 out the door.

i wonder how many people go over 5gigs in data plan.

even though most Vibrant owners won't go over 5gigs, you won't be charged extra if you do go over which is nice. unlimited data for t-mobile, but it will slow your speed after 5gigs

Just got my vibrant yesterday...rooted the sumbitch and I am now running bloatware and ad free.... :D

I was able to block data without a hassle using APNdroid. Yay! No need to use this phone with a data plan, wifi is more than sufficient.

How are you on a TMO branded phone without them haranguing you to add data?

How are you on a TMO branded phone without them haranguing you to add data?

I purchased the phone at full price without a contract and am using my existing SIM from my grandfathered T-MO MyFaves plan.

Last edited:
I thought I was having GPS issues but it seems to only not work quickly when I'm inside a large building.

Whenever I'm outside the GPS picks up very fast. So I guess I'm not having GPS problems, unless GPS is supposed to work 100% inside.

I am dying to get this phone...but waiting on samsung's fix for the notorious GPS issues. Although they say they're working on it, I just can't commit until I actually see it is released.

notorious GPS issues.

a few forums threads here and there is not notorious. iPhone 4 reception issues being reported in mainstream media is notorious.

only negative I can really think of is battery life. but I still get a full day out of it, even 2 if i'm not using it constantly

well, maybe notorious is the wrong word, but it's certainly a dealkiller for anyone who values GPS performance. It certainly isn't an isolated problem...I see huge angry threads on all the vibrant/galaxy s forums. Nothing will get the mainstream media's attention over anything an iPhone does...good or bad.

I don't want to leave tmobile (and the rest of their android offerings don't interest me at all), so I'll just wait it out for now and see what happens.

do your 14 day trial period with the phone. more than likely you won't have gps issues with it, as long as you are outside when you use it

I wonder where the people that have gps issues live.

As long as I'm outside, here in Socal, i have no problem with GPS. Google maps pinpoints me very fast, and i've had it on the dashboard driving home all 44 miles and it didn't miss a beat.

I picked up the Vibrant this morning after my G1 running CM's Froyo took a dump. My G1 actually takes a dump about once a month, the only way to recover is empty cache and factory reset through the HOME/POWER menu. So I said screw it, I'm upgrading!

I like the speed of it, don't like the placement of the power/sleep button. I miss my slide-out qwerty keyboard, but so far swype seems pretty cool and I'm learning to use it pretty fast.

The phone definitely loses bars if I hold the phone with my left hand and the bottom left corner is touching/being covered with the palm of my left thumb. I haven't lost any phone calls yet but I haven't talked much on it.

My G1 for sure has better voice quality (I think). Talking to my friend who has an iPhone 3G, he sounded tinny and had that low quality MP3 sound. Don't know if it was my phone or his, or a combination.

I paid $30 or so about 6 months ago to go month to month with t-mobile. The closest t-mobile store was the walmart (ugh), and they said I wasn't eligible for upgrade, so I had to purchase the phone at full price. I am still in sticker shock - $530 after tax here in South Florida. I dunno if I am keeping it or returning it.. I've never paid this much for a phone up front and if I'm not totally 100% in love with it, it is hard to justify the cost.

Video is sweet, the phone is sweet...but man is it expensive :( Me and my bro were talking...I could buy a decent laptop or an even better desktop for this.

Went ahead and bought the Vibrant. Love it so far.

GPS is indeed lousy compared to my garmin and I'm guessing other phones, but it's functional as a backup. And with Samsung releasing a statement that a fix would be out in Sept, that was good enough for me to dive in.

I applied the one the touch root and the 1.7 .net lag fix found on the xda site and now this baby is going as fast as possible, minus over clocking. I didn't notice lag before but essentially the fix creates a virtual ram drive on the faster internal memory so it isn't writing to slower memory. Quadrant scores are now above 2000, up from the previous score of 900.

I also tweaked the GPS settings: If you are having problems locking onto GPS, goto the dialer and hit *#*#1472365#*#* to take you to LbsTestMode and goto the SUP/CP settings and change the config type from manual to automatic. In the main menu of LBSTestMode press Get Position Test until it has your position and then you can close out. There are also performance tests in there to test how long it takes to acquire GPS signal.

Last edited:
Back