T-Mobile Vibrant unboxing video

Don't these places with great deals on phones have terms and conditions in place to keep you from taking advantage of them?
Such as wirefly, don't they make you pay for the rest of the phone when you terminate the 2 year plan?
you get a $500 phone for $150 and a 2 year contract. You want to cancel, so the fees will be; ETF and wirefly will make you pay for the rest of the phone. $200 from Tmo, and $350 from wirefly. Does Costco do the same?

I seem to recall Radio Shack having their own ETF IN ADDITION TO TMobile's, so I'd assume so.

Don't these places with great deals on phones have terms and conditions in place to keep you from taking advantage of them?
Such as wirefly, don't they make you pay for the rest of the phone when you terminate the 2 year plan?
you get a $500 phone for $150 and a 2 year contract. You want to cancel, so the fees will be; ETF and wirefly will make you pay for the rest of the phone. $200 from Tmo, and $350 from wirefly. Does Costco do the same?
Wirefly will charge a fee if you terminate a contract before the first 6 months.

Also, check post #8 in this thread (link).

Re: How is the Vibrant's reception?

07-15-2010 10:03 AM
I just discovered something shocking. If I hold my phone in such a way that it cups the bottom of the phone, my bars disappear. If I just put it down i get full 3G bars. I never noticed this behavior on the MT3G. This sounds shockingly like the Iphone 4 problem. The antennas must be on the lower-left side of the phone since the problem DOES actually seem worse when I hold it with my left hand than with my right.

Does anyone really hold it like that? Usually the antennas are placed in the back towards the top where nobody will completely cover it. I don't see anyone covering it on the bottom, either???
The difference with the iPhone 4 is that it's RIGHT where your fingers hold the phone at.

Also the iPhone 4 isn't just "hand shielding", you can kill it just with skin contact. Cupping != touching

Just picked up my Vibrant.

So far, very impressed. Can't wait to play with it some more. :D
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I'm sorry but this thing felt like a cheap plastic toy. Screen is nice, stuff moves/loads quickly, but really seemed about the same as the other higher-end smartphones I have used (N1, EVO, HD2, well the HD2 blows, but the screen is nice and TF 1/2 opened quickly).

I am glad I didn't recommend this phone to anyone.

Well, I just got back from Tmobile empty handed.

Currently I'm on a prepaid account without web access and was deliberating going with a contract so I was asking the girl who was helping me a few questions. I finally decided not to go with one as I have wifi at home and school which I am and will be spending most of my time for the foreseeable future. And really, the cheapest data plan would cost me $900 a year and that is in no way in my budget (paying for school out of pocket without loans). So I told her I just wanted to buy the phone out of contract on the interest-free installment plan they offered.

She goes to the back, gets the phone, puts on the counter, and runs a credit check to see if I qualified for the installment did, which I did. Then it went like this:

Her: So, which plan did you want to go with?
Me: Umm, plan? I already have a prepaid plan.
Her: But you need a data plan to use this phone.
Me: What?
Her: Yeah, it needs to connect to an email address. That's why we see a web plan is required. You can't even get to the home screen without it.
Me: So I need to pay $900 a year just to use this phone that I'm about to spend $550 on?
Her: Yes.
Me: Alright, think I'm just going to pass then.

Now, in all fairness, I do remember reading on the Tmobile website that a data plan was required but I thought that just applied to contracts and they just wanted to make some extra $$. I in no way expected that the functionality of the phone was contingent on you having internet access. I'm sorry, but that's the most asinine thing ever. What if you're somewhere were you don't have coverage but still want to use the phone? Does this mean it's just an expensive piece of plastic? Grrr . . .

Well, back to a researching a phone I guess. Gotta make sure to find one that doesn't need the internet to run. :/

Well, I just got back from Tmobile empty handed.

Currently I'm on a prepaid account without web access and was deliberating going with a contract so I was asking the girl who was helping me a few questions. I finally decided not to go with one as I have wifi at home and school which I am and will be spending most of my time for the foreseeable future. And really, the cheapest data plan would cost me $900 a year and that is in no way in my budget (paying for school out of pocket without loans). So I told her I just wanted to buy the phone out of contract on the interest-free installment plan they offered.

She goes to the back, gets the phone, puts on the counter, and runs a credit check to see if I qualified for the installment did, which I did. Then it went like this:

Her: So, which plan did you want to go with?
Me: Umm, plan? I already have a prepaid plan.
Her: But you need a data plan to use this phone.
Me: What?
Her: Yeah, it needs to connect to an email address. That's why we see a web plan is required. You can't even get to the home screen without it.
Me: So I need to pay $900 a year just to use this phone that I'm about to spend $550 on?
Her: Yes.
Me: Alright, think I'm just going to pass then.

Now, in all fairness, I do remember reading on the Tmobile website that a data plan was required but I thought that just applied to contracts and they just wanted to make some extra $$. I in no way expected that the functionality of the phone was contingent on you having internet access. I'm sorry, but that's the most asinine thing ever. What if you're somewhere were you don't have coverage but still want to use the phone? Does this mean it's just an expensive piece of plastic? Grrr . . .

Well, back to a researching a phone I guess. Gotta make sure to find one that doesn't need the internet to run. :/

What? Can anyone confirm this? I was planning to buy an unlocked Vibrant and use it on my existing (non data) plan, wifi is more than good enough for me.

What? Can anyone confirm this? I was planning to buy an unlocked Vibrant and use it on my existing (non data) plan, wifi is more than good enough for me.

You know, come to think of it, an unlocked phone might not have this restriction. But man, I *just* got back after talking with that Tmobile rep. She seemed pretty knowledgeable and I don't think she just made it up. Don't think there's anymore confirmation needed on buying a branded phone.

Just saw this posted on the Tmobile forum in response to my post:

in order to initially set up the device, you need to set it up with your gmail account... it needs to be able to do that over 3G, not wifi... once that is done, you can go without a data plan, but you know the limitations of that and it sounds like you accept them...

so, just get with someone that has a data plan on TMo, stick their SIM in your device, set it up with your Gmail account, and then swap the SIM back to yours... then it will work as you intend it to...

Well that is wacky as hell. Has definitely put me off from getting this phone..guess I'll stick with the trusty N97 for now.

First of all that wirefly video and his voice were beyond gay.

Anyway, went today to compare the iphone 4 to the Vibrant to see if I wanted to go back to Tmobile and to say the least its not all that. The screen is the only positive thing, everything else is cheap. It feels like, well cheap plastic that bends easy. The back cover comes off too easy and again very flexible, i thought it would be metal/aluminum. Size wise its ok, thin profile very close to the Iphone 4, little wide though. Looks like ill be keeping my Iphone.

Amazon has the Vibrant in-stock for $99 w/2-year contract. Free 2-day shipping, too.

I'll be returning my Vibrant as soon as it arrives. I went to a T-M store to ask about their no contract pricing and get a look at the phone. I was disappointed in the case. I'm forced to agree with iGrooCk in that the case felt kinda cheap. My Incredible feels much more solidly built.

So, the Evo was too big and Sprint's coverage sux in my area. The Vibrant's construction was a letdown. Guess I'm sticking with my Incredible for now.

First of all that wirefly video and his voice were beyond gay.

Anyway, went today to compare the iphone 4 to the Vibrant to see if I wanted to go back to Tmobile and to say the least its not all that. The screen is the only positive thing, everything else is cheap. It feels like, well cheap plastic that bends easy. The back cover comes off too easy and again very flexible, i thought it would be metal/aluminum.

I dunno, it felt fine when I held it. Granted, you have an Iphone 4 so you may be used to something else but I had no issue with it. Had a nice heft to it and felt sturdy.

Yeah tmobile phones or any phone from a carrier are very gay, they WILL REQUIRE you to have data plan to be able to log into your gmail in case of the android devices so you can get to the home screen otherwise you are SOL, you are just left with emergency call.

I have a mytouch 3g and the thing was so gay before rooting with all the tmobile bloatware such as amazon mp3, tmobile this tmobile that, if i'm buying a phone from now on it'll have to have root capabilities otherwise they can shove it.

Seriously cellphone bloatware can be more annoying than the crap that dell or hp install in their laptops because at least you can easily get online or format it, but if you get a carrier locked device... so i suggest you do your own research before plunking the cash down. This comes to my mind the Droid X a device that can't be rooted so that'll be a phone i'll never touch.

Again android phones are great but to require DATA PLAN to log into your gmail or motoblur account to use a phone you own is out of proportions, hope someone sues them and stop this nonsense.

Yeah tmobile phones or any phone from a carrier are very gay, they WILL REQUIRE you to have data plan to be able to log into your gmail in case of the android devices so you can get to the home screen otherwise you are SOL, you are just left with emergency call.

I have a mytouch 3g and the thing was so gay before rooting with all the tmobile bloatware such as amazon mp3, tmobile this tmobile that, if i'm buying a phone from now on it'll have to have root capabilities otherwise they can shove it.

Seriously cellphone bloatware can be more annoying than the crap that dell or hp install in their laptops because at least you can easily get online or format it, but if you get a carrier locked device... so i suggest you do your own research before plunking the cash down. This comes to my mind the Droid X a device that can't be rooted so that'll be a phone i'll never touch.

Again android phones are great but to require DATA PLAN to log into your gmail or motoblur account to use a phone you own is out of proportions, hope someone sues them and stop this nonsense.

Will rooting a phone and/or installing a clean ROM (not carrier branded) change this situation, or are you still required to log on to your gmail account via data to access the phone on all android devices and builds? I'm wondering if I can get away with an unlocked Galaxy S from abroad instead of the T-mobile version. Like I said I have no interest at all in a data plan, because 90% of the time I am within wifi hotspot range.

Will rooting a phone and/or installing a clean ROM (not carrier branded) change this situation, or are you still required to log on to your gmail account via data to access the phone on all android devices and builds? I'm wondering if I can get away with an unlocked Galaxy S from abroad instead of the T-mobile version. Like I said I have no interest at all in a data plan, because 90% of the time I am within wifi hotspot range.

when rooted and flashed to custom rom you will have the option to skip the log in screen and go directly to "desktop" if you really want that phone you can buy it, borrow someone else's simcard with data plan and log in and use the phone just fine, then root it and go your own way, however rooting is not required to use the phone it just make things easier.

Amazon has the Vibrant in-stock for $99 w/2-year contract. Free 2-day shipping, too.

I'll be returning my Vibrant as soon as it arrives. I went to a T-M store to ask about their no contract pricing and get a look at the phone. I was disappointed in the case. I'm forced to agree with iGrooCk in that the case felt kinda cheap. My Incredible feels much more solidly built.

So, the Evo was too big and Sprint's coverage sux in my area. The Vibrant's construction was a letdown. Guess I'm sticking with my Incredible for now.

What about the Captivate? It's awesome. Feels solid to me, and doesn't look like an iPhone, either.

Was just thinking, what if I bought the Vibrant along with the cheapest unlimited web Even More Plus plan and canceled it immediately after activating the phone, would I just be charged the pro-rated amount of the monthly bill?

So, let's just say since the plan is $59.99 and we'll liberally call the after-tax cost $75, divide that by 30 days and you get a charge of $2.50. Is that all it would cost?

Was just thinking, what if I bought the Vibrant along with the cheapest unlimited web Even More Plus plan and canceled it immediately after activating the phone, would I just be charged the pro-rated amount of the monthly bill?

So, let's just say since the plan is $59.99 and we'll liberally call the after-tax cost $75, divide that by 30 days and you get a charge of $2.50. Is that all it would cost?

Maybe. Or since you're still within their grace period they might say "if you don't like it then you can return it back".
I'd ask TMobile about that first.

You can log onto your gmail from wifi. you'll have to bypass the initial setup though via http://phandroid.com/2010/07/12/bypass-the-android-setup-tutorial/ and turn on wifi and log on to your network first. IF you dont have your gmail account setup the market or anything wont work. Of course you'll have to turn off all the sync with gmail so you hopefully wont transfer any data and be charged when not on wifi. To me though seems extremely pointless to have a $500 phone when all you do is make calls. If you have wifi available, just use a netbook. Hell they're even cheaper then the vibrant off contract.

The vibrant does feel a little cheap, with its smooth rear plastic cover. The 'cheapness' is amplified by the extremely light weight of the device.

Last edited:
You can log onto your gmail from wifi. you'll have to bypass the initial setup though via http://phandroid.com/2010/07/12/bypass-the-android-setup-tutorial/ and turn on wifi and log on to your network first. IF you dont have your gmail account setup the market or anything wont work. Of course you'll have to turn off all the sync with gmail so you hopefully wont transfer any data and be charged when not on wifi. To me though seems extremely pointless to have a $500 phone when all you do is make calls. If you have wifi available, just use a netbook. Hell they're even cheaper then the vibrant off contract.

The vibrant does feel a little cheap, with its smooth rear plastic cover. The 'cheapness' is amplified by the extremely light weight of the device.

I don't know about bypassing setup. I just bought the phone from the Radioshack and the guy there used it to make a call, saying it's policy to verify it works.

As soon as I got home, I took out the sim card and popped in my prepaid sim. I connected to my WIFI and signed up to the google account. I was able to connect to the Android Market and download an app as well.

Not really sure where the part is that requires a 3G network. I did sign up with a Even More Plus plan with data with the intention of canceling it as soon as I activated it (I was told it would be prorated to the day) but like I said, I swapped that SIM card as soon as I got home and was able to sign in to my gmail account just fine.

And also, the hack for free 2g internet on prepaid appears to work on this as well as long as you used the hacked opera version. It's slow as hell, but hey, it's free. ;)

Last edited:

My HTC Hero did nothing of the sort. I pulled it out of the box registered with sprint and it didn't ask me for an email address until i went to set up my email.

Both AT&T stores I called claimed they can't sell them until Sunday.

When I went to the ATT store the lady said they were told they could start selling them as soon as they got them. It seems like a lot of people who are getting captivates early live in Texas, including me.

I live in Texas, but the employees of the 7 stores in my area have no clue when they'll get them.

Just bought a gel skin (T-Mobile store) for my Vibrant, should be here on Monday. Never have I wanted a weekend to go by so fast before. :D

Be careful with Tmobile's customer service. They will be happy to make all sorts of promises about what they can do for you and then when everything is totally fubared and your bill is double what it used to be for the same service, tell you that there is no way to change it back or do what they originally promised.

I had just got a new phone about 6 months ago and called up today about data plans for a possible new Vibrant. They offered me the fully discounted phone upgrade price with the rebate and I had to take it since I wasn't due for a new phone for 18 more months.:cool: Paying $69.99 for unlimited voice and data with the loyalty plan. and $4.99 for 400 messages.

t-mobile customer service is great when you've been with them since they were called Voicestream. new vibrant should arrive mid week in TX, can't wait.

Just got my vibrant today! Now I gotta root and haxor this bishe!

Anyone know if it's possible or will soon be possible to install the vanilla OS that nexus one runs? Sansung's mods are pretty but not cool :)

For those that care I spent 1/2 the day driving all around town and ended up scoring the phone for $250 no contract from Costco; had to jump through a ton of hoops to get this damn thing.

How did you get it from Costco without a contract? Their website shows they are selling it for $250 without the discount, which is amazing but I can't figure out how to get it without the contract

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2132124

This is where I learned about it. It took some serious work on my part to find someone that would do it for me. We visited 3 stores and was flat out denied at one location even though it was available. In my area (Phoenix) it seems that the "even more plus" plan has been cancelled. The 3rd rep I worked with knew this and instead looked up plans in the Nevada area. For some reason my existing line of service did not allow me to get this plan despite having spoken with t-mobile CS who claimed it should be available, they said that Costco's system was "different" and couldn't do anything for me. We ended up signing up my GF for the plan which I promptly cancelled.

after ordering the phone from t-mobile for $199 after rebate and then seeing the costco adds for $99 for new line or upgrade with contract I called up t-mobile to wheel and deal.

After talking to 3 reps I was able to get them to credit my account $99 to match the costco price. So now I got the phone for $99 upgrade w/ new contract just like Costco.

still waiting on phone to arrive

Got my Vibrant today and again upgraded from a G1. This phone is GODLIKE.

ETA: I want to root my phone, just curious if anyone has encountered problems doing so after?

Last edited:
I called Costco to ask about getting the phone any other way besides a 2 year contract. They wouldn't let me.
I asked them if they had additional fees if I was to cancel the service after I bought the phone. The customer service said no, once you buy the phone you have 90 days to return it, but if you cancel the plan you don't have to return it and wont be charged any extra. Can anyone confirm this? That may be the way to go. I don't want a contract and $500 is to much.

This seems like the best android device out.. by a wide margin.

It's super fast, the screen is gorgeous.. voice quality is excellent (better than droid or iPhone in my experience)

Couldn't be happier with this device.. until Koush releases clockwork mod recovery and we get a froyo rom.

I picked it up on their EIP (equipment installment plan).. they gave me $1,000 in credit to use on devices and accessories.. I paid $25 + the tax on the $499.99 amount today..

I'll be paying for it over the next 19 months at $25/mo.. or I can pay the remaining balance in full at any time.. and just be left with my even more plus no-contract plan w/ 500 anytime minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile/night and weekend minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data for $59.99/mo..

$62 out of pocket and I'm in a new plan w/ no contract and an awesome phone.. no complaints here.

Back