T-Mobile Vibrant unboxing video

Any word on out-of-contract pricing for the Vibrant yet? Tmobile's no contract phone plans are cheap and the phone looks great.

The lowest no contact price I've heard so far is $449. Not too bad, but I wouldn't mind even cheaper.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CdbaQbeSDBI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CdbaQbeSDBI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

http://wirefly.com/learn/reviews/samsung-vibrant-gets-unboxed-pre-order/

The box interior looks just like that of the iPhone. Only 4 more days! :D

I can't wait either. My current cell is on its last legs.

The lowest no contact price I've heard so far is $449. Not too bad, but I wouldn't mind even cheaper.

Someone told me they read that there would an interest-free installment plan. Not sure how that would work though. Haven't been able to find any info on it.

So, should we be going through tmobile stores to get this phone or does anyone particularly recommend wirefly?

I'll be renewing my contract to hopefully get the discount.

Someone told me they read that there would an interest-free installment plan. Not sure how that would work though. Haven't been able to find any info on it.
Never heard of that, but I'm sure it would really help spike sales.

So, should we be going through tmobile stores to get this phone or does anyone particularly recommend wirefly?
I've purchased several phones from Wirefly and never had a single problem. Their return policy is great. Still, I'll go directly to T-M for the Vibrant if I buy it w/o a contract.

†On approved credit. $125 down payment, plus 3 monthly payments of $125, required. 0% APR. Taxes & fees additional. Available only at T-Mobile-owned retail stores; see store for details.
†0% APR. Availability & amount of financing subject to credit approval. Down payment required at time of purchase. Remaining amount owed is paid over 3 monthly payments (with Even More Plan) or 19 monthly payments (with Even More Plus Plan). Qualifying plan required for duration of EIP agreement; account must be in good standing. Taxes, late/non-payment fees and other upfront and monthly charges may apply. Example shown above reflects the down payment and monthly payments for our most credit worthy customers; down payments & monthly payment amounts for other customers will vary.

I don't trust it. No need for Android to be skinned, especially when your skin is making the OS look worse. Only reason I have no interest in this phone.

†On approved credit. $125 down payment, plus 3 monthly payments of $125, required. 0% APR. Taxes & fees additional. Available only at T-Mobile-owned retail stores; see store for details.
†0% APR. Availability & amount of financing subject to credit approval. Down payment required at time of purchase. Remaining amount owed is paid over 3 monthly payments (with Even More Plan) or 19 monthly payments (with Even More Plus Plan). Qualifying plan required for duration of EIP agreement; account must be in good standing. Taxes, late/non-payment fees and other upfront and monthly charges may apply. Example shown above reflects the down payment and monthly payments for our most credit worthy customers; down payments & monthly payment amounts for other customers will vary.

Unless my math is wrong, that's $500, not $449.

Unless my math is wrong, that's $500, not $449.
I noticed that, too. My initial enthusiasm kinda fizzled after I did some more calculations...

$449/$500 Vibrant no contract + $60 x 24 months = $1889/$1939

$149 Vibrant on contract + $80 x 24 months = $2069

Grand total difference of $180/$130 or $7.50/$5.42 per month. Not quite the massive savings I expected. I'm going to do the contract. No sense spending $449/$500 after doing the long-term math.

Last edited:
I noticed that, too. My initial enthusiasm kinda fizzled after I did some more calculations...

$449/$500 Vibrant no contract + $60 x 24 months = $1889/$1939

$149 Vibrant on contract + $80 x 24 months = $2069

Grand total difference of $180/$130 or $7.50/$5.42 per month. Not quite the massive savings I expected. I'm going to do the contract. No sense spending $449/$500 after doing the long-term math.

Or pay the $200 ETF fee. ($200 + $149 = $349 for cheapest option) :D

Or pay the $200 ETF fee. ($200 + $149 = $349 for cheapest option) :D

That's what makes no sense to me. That's why ATT changed theirs ;) When you can pay ETFs and turn around a profit... I'd expect TMobile to do the same.

That's what makes no sense to me. That's why ATT changed theirs ;) When you can pay ETFs and turn around a profit... I'd expect TMobile to do the same.
Would T-Mobile let you sign up for a month-to-month deal right after canceling a 2-year contract and paying the ETF?

Would T-Mobile let you sign up for a month-to-month deal right after canceling a 2-year contract and paying the ETF?

I see no reason why not.
Buy at the $150 price, pay your ETF... And just go month to month, saving $20/mo

If the Android community decides to support it. Not every Android phone gets access to ROMs and such.

Samsung makes it hard to get access to their drivers as well so this could kill it right there. I am really anxious to get this phone but I definitely want to be able to load custom ROMs on it when I want to.

BTW, is the $149 special price only for preorders through Wirefly? I want to look at it and hold it at a store before signing up for 2 yrs.

BTW, is the $149 special price only for preorders through Wirefly? I want to look at it and hold it at a store before signing up for 2 yrs.
I believe so. T-Mobile's price will be $199. I pre-ordered from Wirefly earlier today. They've got a very good 30 day return policy if you're not satisfied.

Can you use this phone and hook it up to a laptop to get internet? use the phones 3g on a laptop?

I see no reason why not.
Buy at the $150 price, pay your ETF... And just go month to month, saving $20/mo

I can't see how they would allow this. I'm sure they'd make you give back the phone or pay the $300 difference if you want to keep it.

Nice. Looks like the Captivate and Vibrant have been rooted already:

http://mobile.engadget.com/2010/07/...g-on-samsung-captivate-other-us-galaxy-s-mod/
That's mixed...
I checked over at XDA and MOST people are reporting the root doesn't work... There's been only a couple that say it has.

Regardless, it means people are trying it out and working on it. Shouldn't be too long.

I can't see how they would allow this. I'm sure they'd make you give back the phone or pay the $300 difference if you want to keep it.

People did it with iPhones all the time. Pay $200 for the phone, $175 ETF... Then sell it on Ebay for $600. That's why ATT had to up their ETFs on most of their smartphones.

I'm sure you could do it on TMobile, they just don't have as many customers to make it that much of an issue for them to change it yet.

I've read that the Captivate won't work with T-Mobile's 3g bands. Is the reverse true? (Vibrant on an ATT 3g band). Which phone is better if I want to use it in Canada (specifically Toronto)?

I've read that the Captivate won't work with T-Mobile's 3g bands. Is the reverse true? (Vibrant on an ATT 3g band). Which phone is better if I want to use it in Canada (specifically Toronto)?

Yes, neither will work with the other's 3G...

According to Wikipedia, Rogers Wireless looks like Canada's GSM provider?
"UMTS/HSPA on the 850 and 1900 MHz bands (Also known as 3G GSM)"

TMobile:
"T-Mobile USA uses a radio frequency band (1700/2100 MHz)(AWS Band) for its 3G network"

ATT:
"850 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G
1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G
850 MHz UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ 3G
1900 MHz UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ 3G"

So it looks to me like the ATT version will be what works in Canada.

People did it with iPhones all the time. Pay $200 for the phone, $175 ETF... Then sell it on Ebay for $600. That's why ATT had to up their ETFs on most of their smartphones.

I'm sure you could do it on TMobile, they just don't have as many customers to make it that much of an issue for them to change it yet.

Just wondering, if you cancel right after the grace period do they make you pay the full month's charge as well as the ETF? If so, that pretty would pretty much negate any cost benefit.

Just wondering, if you cancel right after the grace period do they make you pay the full month's charge as well as the ETF? If so, that pretty would pretty much negate any cost benefit.

They make you pay for what you've used. So I'd assume if you pay $120/mo... They'd divide it by 30 days, figure it costs $4/day... And charge you likewise. That's my assumption, I really don't know for sure how they figure it up.
If you've completed a whole month (I guess you would if you're after the grace period- I didn't think about being out of the grace period) you've got to pay the whole month.

You can still make money though. $200 phone + $175 ETF + $120 bill = $495 for something you could still sell for profit.

That's why they've upped the ETFs, is all I'm saying.

Yes, neither will work with the other's 3G...

According to Wikipedia, Rogers Wireless looks like Canada's GSM provider?
"UMTS/HSPA on the 850 and 1900 MHz bands (Also known as 3G GSM)"

TMobile:
"T-Mobile USA uses a radio frequency band (1700/2100 MHz)(AWS Band) for its 3G network"

ATT:
"850 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G
1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G
850 MHz UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ 3G
1900 MHz UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ 3G"

So it looks to me like the ATT version will be what works in Canada.

On a quick search, I saw this:

Originally Posted by Taknarosh
AT&T/Roger/Bell/Telus - 850/1900MHz 3G Bands
T-Mobile/Wind - 1700/2100MHz 3G Bands

I have yet to see a 3G phone without EDGE.
The Legend would most certainly work unlocked on Rogers.
T-Mobile and WIND do not use the 2100MHz band. It's primarily a European band.

i just got back from my local t-mobile store. i messed around with the vibrant that the sales reps had in their possession. the screen was beautiful. been waiting for a good android phone for t-mobile for a while now. i went ahead and signed up for a new 2-year contract with the samsung vibrant. i won't be able to get the phone until tomorrow though.

if you go to college/university, bring your student ID with you. i saved 6% on my monthly bill and the activation fee was waived. they only ask you for your student email address to verify.

BTW, Costco has it for $99.99 with a new 2 yr activation and qualifying upgrades. Thanks to a post at slickdeals.

Called last night and extended my contract which was originally up in April of 2011.

Total Equipment Cost: $249.99
Taxes & Fees: $23.29
Shipping: $5.99
Upgrade Fee: $18.00
Total: $297.27

Should be here on the 21st.

Don't these places with great deals on phones have terms and conditions in place to keep you from taking advantage of them?
Such as wirefly, don't they make you pay for the rest of the phone when you terminate the 2 year plan?
you get a $500 phone for $150 and a 2 year contract. You want to cancel, so the fees will be; ETF and wirefly will make you pay for the rest of the phone. $200 from Tmo, and $350 from wirefly. Does Costco do the same?

Back