T-Mobile Upgrade coming up.. Need some recommendations!!

ToMMyGuN

Limp Gawd
hey ya'll

As per the title, what do you all recommend? My upgrade is authorized for May 13th or so, and I need a new phone (my Nokia XpressMusic 5300 is dying - cracked screen for last 6 months, will no longer reliably send texts, loses service all the time, gets"SIM card registration failed" error all the time).

Its up to You guys..

I was thinking the flip pearl, or maybe the moto ZINE, but idk..

I am looking for a phone for texting and obviously calling, but extras are certainly welcome! I have no need, however, for 3g.

What do you think?

The Blackberry Pearl 8220 is horrible IMO, I got it for my wife and she didn't like the little strips between the keys as it kept causing her to inadvertantly press the wrong key sometimes. I also found the angle that the screen unfolds to be somewhat ackward for my tastes. Got her the curve instead as a replacement for her Pearl 8120. I am currently using the Shadow but I am hoping that the HTC Touch Pro2 is going to be released on Tmobile as a replacement for the wing so I can get that

The Touch Pro2 is coming out sometime this summer, if you could wait, id definitely pick that up

the TouchPro2 would be great, as would the Curve 8900, but they are both (assuming on the Pro2) a little spendy.. Being a poor college student i was looking into options a little less than that (sorry forgot to say that)..

Anyone have the Zine?

Does the Magic have a required data plan like the G1? cause i sure as hell am not paying for it lol. i have and Archos A5 for mobile (wifi) browsing, and dont want to give t-mobile even more of my precious dollar bills..

People might be adverse to this, but the Sidekick LX 2009 is coming out May 13th and it looks to be a really really solid non-smartphone. Hi-Res Screen, 3mp Camera, IM, Text, YouTube/WebBrowser, etc.

It's gotten some pretty solid praise so far from Engadget. Check it:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/tag/sidekicklx2009

Last edited:
man none of these phones are catching my eyes lol.. maybe i should switch providers haha

the sidekick definetly is not a one handed phone, and i feel that may be cumbersome. Anyone had any experience?

I have T-mobile in nyc, while outside reception is good. But one step indoors and you are in a dead zone. While their phone selection has improve. none of them interest me either. If you cant fine a phone you like, maybe switching providers is the best option.

Last edited:
yeah man i know what you mean. on campus here in madison i get great reception outside (albeit i am on a different carrier (Einstein PCS)) but inside buildings i get ziltch.

Samsung Memoir - theirs newest camera phone
A majority of reviews were pretty much underwhelmed with the 8MP Camera, if you're wanting a camera phone, the Behold is the better choice, same phone as the memoir for the most part, just the 5MP camera.

Also it's basically a 99% certainty that the magic will require a data plan just like the G1 since it hooks up to the cloud just like the G1.

The new sidekick lx 2009 looks very promising as well. Probably would be best to get a 3g capable phone, even though you say you don't want it. Better to have it and not need it, than need it, and not have it.

I'm personally waiting for a 3G Blackberry for TMO, they're rolling out their 3g in my area around 3Q so maybe i'll get lucky.

yeah i guess that makes sense about the 3g. i will have to keep looking for deals i guess.

G1 or Curve 8900. Other than that you're pretty much shooting yourself in the foot.

i have the zine zn5. Its good for the price. my only gripe is the limited apps to be installed and the quality of video recording. Overall GREAT camera phone.

i have the zine zn5. Its good for the price. my only gripe is the limited apps to be installed and the quality of video recording. Overall GREAT camera phone.

what do you mean by limited apps? the video quality isnt an issue for me, but limited apps?

also could you post some zine taken pics?

G1 is the best thing they offer right now imo... but I am biased after using one for the last 6 months.. the physical kb on the G1 is great for texting and emailing... the bb 8900 seems to be nice also..

Is there anyway to get a G1 without the data plan? cause if there was i would be hands down getting it.

Is there anyway to get a G1 without the data plan? cause if there was i would be hands down getting it.

I have heard of people using it without the data plan... well, you need some kind of data plan for edge, the $10 one worked well for my iphone 2g.. using only wifi and edge you would be fine, but getting the phone through tmob with that plan would be tough.. you'd need to know someone on the inside to get that deal I think...

I was reading up on the no data plan thing, and it sounds like all you have to do is activate the phone w/ a t-mobile sim card and set up wifi. Apparently people buy the phone at 179 or so with the data plan, unlock/setup the phone, then cancel the data plan. it is supposed to work with just that + a voice plan. I am on campus here in madison and wifi is prevelant. Back home in MN, i dont think i am covered with 3G (50 or so miles north of Minneapolis).

This seems like a great deal if it actually works... can anyone with a G1 confirm this?

Loving my G1 here, I wasn't expecting much but it's been nothing short than a great phone for me. Android is really nice IMO.

If you wait the HTC Dream (G2) will be out soon I'm sure.

There really is no best phone for T-Mobile. All phones, except for the G1/Blackberry/Sidekick are pretty bland. The Samsung Memoir is just a beefed up version of the behold-- it's not worth the price.

The upcoming G2 has the same hardware as the G1, but you trade the keyboard with more usable ROM, something easily remedied with App to SD on the G1.

I currently have a G1 and was looking at the Sidekick 2009, specifically I was interested in it's flash support. I later found out (by using a demo phone at a t-mobile store) that the flash support is actually just a separate flash player that seems to be only optimized for some sites. The sidekick doesn't play/stream hulu or other flash enabled sites outside of myspace/youtube. It's function reminds me of the separate youtube app thats already included with G1.

damn.. t-mobile needs to work on its phones!

I was looking into the n85, but even at 290 from dell it is so damn expensive!

The only downfall I've had with the G1 is the battery life, its not the best at all. =/

Everything else is great with it though.

Although, it seems the battery life on the G1 improved with the new 1.5 "cupcake" firmware + the new 2.2 baseband firmware. For instance, some services don't needlessly poll as frequently as they used to.

I'll also add that the VK (Virtual Keyboard) is a pain in the ass to type on, this is included in the 1.5 update, and your sole typing interface on the G2. It makes me depressed thinking about all the new android phones not coming out with qwerty keyboard; for this reason the G1 is still the best platform for the android.

I was kind'a hoping the T-Mobile Dash II (Touch Pro II) would be loaded with android, but WinMo 6.5 with the Zune interface is just as enchanting.

N85 is OK on T-Mobile. That's my current set-up, but the lack of 3G is kind of a bummer. Wi-Fi is super fast though.

Personally I'd get the 8900 for $30 after rebate from Amazon (IIRC, just a 2-year contract extension required but no data plan needed) if I had to get a T-Mo phone. But then I'd be losing my $6/month unlimited internet and email. :eek:

EDIT: Apparently it's $0.01 now, but requires a data plan. :(

8900 seems to be the best phone in a decent price range, I think they do use the palm treo pro now but cant find it on the actual tmobile site, just my company's discount cell phone page, and im sure its expensive, its cheaper for me since the treo pro works with our software and is one of the recommended phones so they give a big discount

Yeah, essentially, rooting is gaining root access ,which allows you to do all sorts of nifty things, from installing community altered OS to custom themes, terminal access, etc, etc, etc, the list is infinite.

If you have even a basic knowledge of PCs, tech, etc, this is a 20-30 minute procedure. Android, being based on Linux, has a huge community of people who love to tinker with this stuff, and they give most of it away for free.

Back