T-Mobile Unlimited Music Streaming

King of Heroes

[H]ard|Gawd
So I saw T-Mo's commercial talking about unlimited music streaming on their network. I was curious, does this count toward tethered devices? Like, can I tether my tablet to my phone and stream Pandora all day and not have it count against my data?

So I saw T-Mo's commercial talking about unlimited music streaming on their network. I was curious, does this count toward tethered devices? Like, can I tether my tablet to my phone and stream Pandora all day and not have it count against my data?

I just switched to T-Mobile and signed up for the unlimited plan. Although, the Hot-Spot tethering is limited to 5GB. I don't think they charge overage fees once you exceed the 5GB but at the least they will throttle your speeds.

I just switched to T-Mobile and signed up for the unlimited plan. Although, the Hot-Spot tethering is limited to 5GB. I don't think they charge overage fees once you exceed the 5GB but at the least they will throttle your speeds.

I'm on prepaid which, just recently it seems, comes with 100MB of hotspot, even though my plans gives me 5GB of 4G/LTE. Since they're treated as separate data pools I'm guessing that the downscaling to 3G doesn't apply to the hotspot pool?

What happens when I exceed my tethering data pool on T-Mobile is it turns into a captive portal page that upsells you more data. Phone data is not impacted, it just the tethering data that gets redirected to the portal page. I am using a Nexus 5.

What happens when I exceed my tethering data pool on T-Mobile is it turns into a captive portal page that upsells you more data. Phone data is not impacted, it just the tethering data that gets redirected to the portal page. I am using a Nexus 5.

It should throttle you down to Edge speed but you won't be charged any extra if you go over.

I was wondering if music gets throttled? For example a 100mb plan and you use it on web and get throttled is music exempt from the throttle still?

I was wondering if music gets throttled? For example a 100mb plan and you use it on web and get throttled is music exempt from the throttle still?

for compatible plans under music streaming,

once you go over, music is exempt from throttle

*for me and other people, pandora sometimes get throttled, but not the other services
*clipart / ads may still be throttled and load slowly

I'm guessing it might still count.

T-mobile detects your hotspot in two ways:
1) Useragent sniffing - it looks like they've stopped doing this method for a while
2) your phone snitches on you, forwards all hotspot/tethered data to a different APN, and t-mobile counts all data used in that APN against your tethering limit.

depends if t-mobile applies the same IP whitelist on that tethered APN

once you go over, music is exempt from throttle
Well, just music from Spotify, Pandora, Rhapsody, iTunes Radio, iHeartRadio, Slacker, Samsung Milk and Beatport. In fact, I don't think those even count against your data cap. T-Mo also claims new music streaming services would be quickly added to the program, to get away from net neutrality issues. But I still don't see Beats Music... And not to mention, why does music data get data priority in the first place? So this is still very net un-neutral. Why not add unlimited video streaming without a data cap? (Because T-Mo isn't stupid...)

Probably because streaming video will decimate the amount streaming HD Audio will take :p

On the other hand, I think they are doing this to split more people away from pure unlimited, seeing as most people use data for facebook, pictures of cats and streaming music.

Personally I use TuneIn, but my data never exceeds 5gb a month.

lol at pictures of cats.

Don't listen to spotify as much anymore, like the option nonetheless.

It should throttle you down to Edge speed but you won't be charged any extra if you go over.

Not from my experience. It might be because I'm on the unlimited 4G plan that comes with a pool of tethering data. If I am on LTE I can pull 20+ mbits/sec all day on the phone itself. If I exceed the tethering pool the phone connection is fine (still 20+ mbit/sec) but once I turn on tethering/hotspot mode anything using that connection will get redirected to a T-Mobile captive portal page.

If you are on a non-unlimited plan you only can tether the amount of highspeed data you have.

Tethering will count towards your cap if your streaming music. You can stream music for a month straight and never hit your cap. Even if you go over your cap with other applications you will still get 4G lte speeds for music streaming.

If you hit your high speed cap then speeds drop to 2g on the phone and tethering will stop

Back