T-Mobile Smart phone free this weekend only

Milehigh

Limp Gawd
I still haven't jumped into the smart phone world yet and wanted to see the opinion on the T-Mobile offerings which I think basically are the MyTouch, the Samsung Nexus and the G2... any advice on the best Android smartphone offered by T-Mobile?

Time to dive in, or wait for some of the new ones coming out? Thanks for any advice :)

The Galaxy S phone, cant remember which one they are (Vibrant i believe)

Don't bother with the others, get the nexus s and you will have support directly from google. And it's the best hardware of the bunch.

If I had the money (for the contract, that is) I'd be heading out to get an HD2 or two... one for me, one for the Wife, but alas, it's simply not meant to be. ;)

Only phone they sell that I'd buy, let alone take for free...

I have a T-Mobile store close, might be worth dropping in today... it appears the Galaxy S model has the nicer screen, but also doesn't have an expansion slot. I would tend to lean only towards need apps and not a bunch, so may not be an issue, don't know at this point.

it appears the Galaxy S model has the nicer screen, but also doesn't have an expansion slot.

Vibrant owner here.

The Vibrant has a expansion slot up to 32gb plus 16gb memory on board. The Vibrant is the only U.S. Galaxy phone to be updated to 2.2 by Samsung to date.

It's worth pointing out that T-Mobile is releasing the Vibrant 4g with a front facing camera and HSPA+ support rumored on February 23rd.

in that case the MyTouch or the HD2 is the better choice

Don't bother with the others, get the nexus s and you will have support directly from google. And it's the best hardware of the bunch.

What support? the nexus one is still waiting for gingerbread, once the new google phone is released this nexus s will not have more updates. Just pick the phone you like, because google is playing the same game like all other vendors.

Was thinking about Galaxy S, but meh, that isn't available so I have to pass this..

Actually the current Vibrant is $100 paid with a $100 mail-in rebate, so basically free... that is according to T-Mobile CS.

Nobody likes the G2....I have a G1 i'm very fond of...thinking about upgrading only because the battery life after 2 1/2 years is really short. I figure the battery would cost more to replace than the cost of a new phone. Would love some feedback on that thinking...

Nobody likes the G2....I have a G1 i'm very fond of...thinking about upgrading only because the battery life after 2 1/2 years is really short. I figure the battery would cost more to replace than the cost of a new phone. Would love some feedback on that thinking...

Take a look at your battery, I know the one in my G1 looks like it's about to burst after a little over 2 years of use. The G2 is great upgrade from the G1, especially if you're used to having a physical keyboard, plus it's running basically the stock version of Froyo, just like the G1 did with Cupcake and Donut.

What do you guys think of the HD7 (free on wirefly.com, w/a new T-Mobile account)?
Or wirefly, for that matter?
Something I said?

Last edited:
Take a look at your battery, I know the one in my G1 looks like it's about to burst after a little over 2 years of use. The G2 is great upgrade from the G1, especially if you're used to having a physical keyboard, plus it's running basically the stock version of Froyo, just like the G1 did with Cupcake and Donut.

you are correct...bloated and bulging...did you upgrade or get a new battery?

you are correct...bloated and bulging...did you upgrade or get a new battery?

Couldn't find a new stock battery, ended up ordering the extended which doubled the size of the phone with the new back, so I just upgraded to the G2. Well worth it and I bought it at full retail.

so you're liking the G2? what was full retail, like $179 or something?

It's my wifes and she loves it, if you have a G1, it'll feel just feel like going from XP to Win 7. Full retail is $599, unlocked and no contract.

I'm not disagreeing that the G2 should be a great phone.... but.

I'm on number 5 since I got mine in October, and getting ready to have number 6 sent out. First it would just reboot itself for no reason. Then the replacement I got had a bad LCD in it. After that it's been one light sensor after another going bad.

Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, and if it was all it should be, plain android, physical keyboard, killer battery, big screen and all, it would be perfect. But in my experience, it's not.

^ ours lost it's ability to control the screen brightness so it was stuck on perma dim (TM)
]

too Bad I didn't see this sooner before the sale was off. I have 1st hand experience with the Vibrant, G2 & the MyTouch 4g.. Of the 3 the MyTouch is what I personally use. The Vibrant is pretty hot too, but it feels cheap as shit in the hand. The g2 is a great phone. My Wife held onto her g1 (was bought pre release since she is a tmo employee) until she could get the g2. Of note with it she wishes she had waited for the MyTouch 4g now. She wanted to keep the physical keyboard, but on the newer phone swype works so well & lag free she never uses the keyboard now.

Back