T-Mobile Partners with Ericsson and Intel to Complete the World's First 600 MHz 5G Call

cageymaru

Fully [H]
The New T-Mobile is touting its possibilities if allowed to merge with Sprint by completing the world's first 5G data call and video call on 600 MHz. Both calls were completed on a live commercial network. In addition, a tri-band 5G video call with 3 users on different spectrum bands - 600 MHz, 28 GHz, and 39 GHz was successfully completed. The 5G signal generated was capable of covering more than a thousand miles from a single tower. The New T-Mobile says that covering low-band, mid band, and millimeter wave will ensure that the benefits of 5G can reach everyone.

"This is a huge accomplishment for Neville and his team, who had a vision for nationwide 5G and are building it out the right way -- across multiple spectrum bands," said John Legere, Chief Executive Officer of T-Mobile. "While the other guys focus on 5G millimeter wave on a handful of blocks in a handful of cities, we're building 5G for everyone, everywhere! And together with Sprint, we'll add much-needed spectrum depth, creating a truly transformative 5G network!"

"5G will power vibrant new use cases that span across network, client and cloud--spurring the convergence of computing and communications that will enable exciting use cases ranging from virtual and augmented reality and gaming, to smart cities, connected cars and intelligent data analytics," said Sandra Rivera, senior vice president, Network Platform Group, Intel. "This collaboration with Ericsson and T-Mobile conducted over low-band spectrum and using the Intel 5G Mobile Trial Platform is a major milestone on the path to enabling the first wave of these types of 5G experiences."

I've been looking forward to this new spectrum, maybe they'll have a compatible phone by end of year, maybe.

TMobile acquired this in early 2017(?) But no phones in 2018 support it.

I'm hoping this finally gives real broadband to rural folks.

My parents for example, Comcast service ends about a half mile from their house, and they want $1000's to run the line, with no stipulation that the neighbors would have to pony up anything after the line is run.

Frontier offers 1Mb/256kb for $20/month.

And Verizon. Blah.

Real 5G would be amazing.

I'd take better 4g over 5g.

Unless you only live and travel in major metro area, it a still spotty coverage even along major interstates and all coupled with dialup era download limits.

Last edited:
Expect 5g rollout to be delayed, and delayed until government subsidies roll in and then it will be even more 'difficult' and so hard, so then more concessions, and more delays, and 10-20 years later it will be a network with half or less of the promised capacity and speed, and more delays and more money, then 20 years and 1 trillion $ from now the FCC will declare complete success, and that USA is number one , except most areas, but that is becuase we are a large country and things are "so hard".
You know it, I know it this is what is going to look like... Right know companies are on the promo and promise mode, this is the Vaseline, and to make people believe the new taxes coming are our idea, because we just NEED the awesome 5g, my God we just need it, so a little tax here and there is just needed of course!

I think i will be signing up to starlink sooner than I will be signing for any proper 5g.

I've been looking forward to this new spectrum, maybe they'll have a compatible phone by end of year, maybe.

TMobile acquired this in early 2017(?) But no phones in 2018 support it.
They have a list of 600Mhz devices. Moto E5 Plus is one

That's 1000 sq miles, not 1000 miles.

A little bit different. Still impressive, about the size of an average city give or take can be served by a single tower.

You have about 50 GB and then it’s throttled. Verizon is half that. “Unlimited” is a marketing word.

No, you get de-prioritized. It all depends on location and time. If you live in an area and everyone uses 50GB you won't. If everyone uses 10GB and you've used 100GB then the others will have a priority connection to the tower while you'll still be connected, but just at a slower speed so they get access to the bandwidth. If no one else tries to connect or just a few others, you can go crazy and will never be de-prioritized. It could also be the middle of the night and you'd be fine.

You have about 50 GB and then it’s throttled. Verizon is half that. “Unlimited” is a marketing word.

I have unlimited hotspot on T-Mobile One and use about 60 to 70gb a month. Never been slowed down. I avg about 120 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up. So with T-Mobile Unlimited isn't really a marketing word when you really get that.

That's 1000 sq miles, not 1000 miles.

A little bit different. Still impressive, about the size of an average city give or take can be served by a single tower.

This. By my math that means each tower should project a signal with about an 18 mile radius.

This. By my math that means each tower should project a signal with about an 18 mile radius.

Why are you guys downplaying that? That area is HUGE if that's what it can do. It'd cover our entire county, let alone the city. 46,000 people (county), the vast majority of which have no REAL broadband access.

Why are you guys downplaying that? That area is HUGE if that's what it can do. It'd cover our entire county, let alone the city. 46,000 people (county), the vast majority of which have no REAL broadband access.
I don't think that means coverage as one would expect it.. they call that a broad layer of 5G.. whatever that means. I think there is lot of fevered dreams of 5G.... Which worries me, and makes me scale back expectations to the point of cynicism.

If your area isn't saturated with heavy data users more than likely you'll never get, as scojer said, de-prioritized.
No, you get de-prioritized. It all depends on location and time. If you live in an area and everyone uses 50GB you won't. If everyone uses 10GB and you've used 100GB then the others will have a priority connection to the tower while you'll still be connected, but just at a slower speed so they get access to the bandwidth. If no one else tries to connect or just a few others, you can go crazy and will never be de-prioritized. It could also be the middle of the night and you'd be fine.
Yep, very much truth.

Yes, if your area is saturated then you’ll be throttled or “deprioritized.” Their cap is generally 50 GB though was my point: https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...mobile-unlimited-data-cap-increase-32gb-50gb-

T-Mobile does have other perks though, such as data from certain things (like streaming services) not counting against your overall data usage. But again ... it’s not truly “unlimited” no matter what angle you’re coming from.

If your area isn't saturated with heavy data users more than likely you'll never get, as scojer said, de-prioritized.
If you’re that lucky then more power to you. ;)

Who's downplaying anything?

I've merely determined the facts about what the technology involved is truly capable of. Nobody said it was bad.

T-Mobile does have other perks though, such as data from certain things (like streaming services) not counting against your overall data usage.
I've been using NetFlix and Amazon Prime Streaming and it's still counting it against my usage, which my limit is... Unlimited. I used to have AT&T and I was always worried about going over my data usage cap but now with T-Mobile and the unlimited data plan that I have I don't feel like I have to worry, I just fire up that streaming app and watch that video because I can. I even deleted all of my music from my phone and use the streaming stuff and switched to higher quality mode because well, no data cap. :woot:

Expect 5g rollout to be delayed, and delayed until government subsidies roll in and then it will be even more 'difficult' and so hard, so then more concessions, and more delays, and 10-20 years later it will be a network with half or less of the promised capacity and speed, and more delays and more money, then 20 years and 1 trillion $ from now the FCC will declare complete success, and that USA is number one , except most areas, but that is becuase we are a large country and things are "so hard".
You know it, I know it this is what is going to look like... Right know companies are on the promo and promise mode, this is the Vaseline, and to make people believe the new taxes coming are our idea, because we just NEED the awesome 5g, my God we just need it, so a little tax here and there is just needed of course!

Sounds like you are speaking about FIOS Service.

I've been using NetFlix and Amazon Prime Streaming and it's still counting it against my usage, which my limit is... Unlimited. I used to have AT&T and I was always worried about going over my data usage cap but now with T-Mobile and the unlimited data plan that I have I don't feel like I have to worry, I just fire up that streaming app and watch that video because I can. I even deleted all of my music from my phone and use the streaming stuff and switched to higher quality mode because well, no data cap. :woot:
That's a bit odd ... I never had either of those count toward my data cap. Netflix and Prime are both on the Binge On list: https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/binge-on-streaming-video

That's a bit odd ... I never had either of those count toward my data cap. Netflix and Prime are both on the Binge On list: https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/binge-on-streaming-video
OK, I checked on my phone by dialing #BNG# (#264#) and my phone said "This service is not an option for your plan". I am on the T-Mobile One plan, which if I'm understanding what Binge-On is, it only applies to Simple Choice plan customers which I am not.

OK, I checked on my phone by dialing #BNG# (#264#) and my phone said "This service is not an option for your plan". I am on the T-Mobile One plan, which if I'm understanding what Binge-On is, it only applies to Simple Choice plan customers which I am not.

They've rebranded a lot of the plans recently and jumbled some the features around. I recently did a plan change (grandfathered from a few years back) that reduced by bill and added Netflix for free.

They've rebranded a lot of the plans recently and jumbled some the features around. I recently did a plan change (grandfathered from a few years back) that reduced by bill and added Netflix for free.
Yep, I get free NetFlix which is really cool. So far I'm loving T-Mobile since I switched two weeks ago. I love the idea that I can stream what I want however long I want and not have to worry about some arbitrary data usage cap.

Back