T-Mobile Launches Speedy LTE-U Service in Six Cities

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
T-Mobile has launched LTE-U on its home turf in Bellevue, as well as Brooklyn, Dearborn, Las Vegas, Richardson, and Simi Valley. Customers with compatible smartphones in these cities should see the benefits of this network automatically: LTE-U takes advantage of unused frequency from the 5 GHz band of spectrum (typically used by Wi-Fi routers) for faster LTE service. T-Mobile has also announced that they are the first to field test License Assisted Access (LAA); results showed blazing 741 Mbps download speeds using 80 MHz of aggregated spectrum.

…T-Mobile is the first national wireless provider to make LTE-U available to customers. LTE-U uses publicly available 5 GHz airwaves to bolster existing LTE capacity and give a speed boost to what is already America’s fastest, most advanced 4G LTE network. T-Mobile LTE-U is live in select locations in Bellevue, WA; Brooklyn, NY; Dearborn, MI; Las Vegas, NV; Richardson, TX; and Simi Valley, CA, with more rolling out later this year. For T-Mobile customers, LTE-U is all goodness—delivering even more capacity and faster speeds. And there’s no need to turn on or download anything. It just works for T-Mobile customers in LTE-U locations with compatible smartphones!

Doesn't this just cause interference with wifi?
I mean, it's a bit odd to use unlicensed frequencies for a commercial application that is already using other frequencies at the same time.

Wow after 7 years they finally were able to meet the standard for 4G....Still amazing how any of the cell carriers considered the 4G networks as 4G yet not ever meeting the standard.

To hell with mobile speeds. It is plenty fast as is for on the go use. I want to get rid of data caps that let me stream and download anything I want with out paying a fortune. I know that caps won't go away cause it is a very profitable model for wireless companies.

To hell with mobile speeds. It is plenty fast as is for on the go use. I want to get rid of data caps that let me stream and download anything I want with out paying a fortune. I know that caps won't go away cause it is a very profitable model for wireless companies.
The thing with T-Mobile is their current plans offer unlimited data, but it is throttled at ~26gb or so. I don't even think they offer extra unthrottled even if you wanted to pay for it.

Wow after 7 years they finally were able to meet the standard for 4G....Still amazing how any of the cell carriers considered the 4G networks as 4G yet not ever meeting the standard.

Heck, I'm surprised it's not branded as 5G. AT&T/Sprint would have done so.

It really should be illegal to advertise you're meeting a spec that you aren't. That, or maybe the standards committee needs to have a holding company trademark the standard names so they can defend them against the liars.

The thing with T-Mobile is their current plans offer unlimited data, but it is throttled at ~26gb or so. I don't even think they offer extra unthrottled even if you wanted to pay for it.

This only happens in congested areas, and so far I have lived in Seattle, San Diego, Norfolk, and Jacksonville using WELL over 28, Never been throttled.

Now we just need them to start competing with the cable companies for home broadband services.

I don't use mobile as a landline/coax replacement (I use a Charter business acct at home), but do have a Verizon postpaid line and a prepaid Cricket line that combined average about 900GB per month usage. AT&T (...and Cricket by extension) has maybe 5% - being generous- of cell business in this small county and I've not seen a congestion throttle since they implemented unlimited about 14 months ago.

would be nice to focus on latency when the speed is good enough. I'd rather have a low latency 100mb/s than a high latency gigabit. (also data caps)

I am curious, where can one find a list of said compatible devices. I don't seem to see a link here in the announcement and I'd be curious to see what could actually take advantage of this.

Back