T-Mobile G2

larryBird44

Supreme [H]ardness
So it looks like the successor to the G1 is coming, the G2.

The T-Mobile G2 will feature:

Android OS w/ HTC Sense
3.7″ Active Matrix OLED display
1 GHz Snapdragon Processor
Landscape slide-out QWERTY keyboard
5MP camera with autofocus.
3G HSPA+
WiFi + Hotspot capabilities
aGPS
Bluetooth 2.1 + Enhanced Data Rate

I haven't found a release date just yet, but the fact that I just bought a Vibrant and the new G2 is going to have HSPA+ kinda ticks me off. I'm still within my 30 days, and 10% of me wants to return it and go back to my G1 until the new one comes out.

I've heard sept 29th for the G2.

To me HSPA+ isn't a huge kicker for me as I wouldn't really notice a huge difference between 6mbps and maybe 8-10mbps?

I've heard sept 29th for the G2.

To me HSPA+ isn't a huge kicker for me as I wouldn't really notice a huge difference between 6mbps and maybe 8-10mbps?

not to mention the hummingbird in the samsung should be noticably faster than a snapdragon...

although.... the g2 will be an HTC phone.. which means possibly better support?

Expect really tight supply if those specs are correct. AMOLED screens are experiencing some pretty bad shortages right now.

HSPA+ aside, the Galaxy S stomps the G2. A regular AMOLED display? Yikes.
Yep. Well, G2 is NOT running the same ol snapdragon we see on Nexus one and other Androids. It has been established that it is a newer version designed to compete with Hummingbird, although, people still think that Hummingbird will come out on top.
I also do not think it will have AMOLED. HTC switched to STFT I think because of the shortages, the new Desire which had AMOLED is now sporting a TFT display, the version which came to US Cellular. Also, why get the G2 with a way inferior display which is also smaller? meh, I don't get HSPA+ speeds in my area anyways. And even if we did, I still would be fine with maxing out HSPA on my vibrant first.

Expect really tight supply if those specs are correct. AMOLED screens are experiencing some pretty bad shortages right now.

Yep, doubt they will do AMOLED. They already had to switch Incredible to TFT due to huge shortage. A top of the line device which is supposed to boost Tmobile a bit can not have such shortage.

Some official specs: http://t-mobilescoop.com/HSPADEVICE

Before people get too worried about the 800Mhz speed, the GPU is supposed to be considerably faster than the one in the current Snapdragon stuff. So that should offset the difference a little.

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/09/02/tmobile-scoop-confirms-g2-800-mhz-scorpion-processor/

And if I'm not mistaken it looks like a stock 2.2 phone from that picture.

Watch videos of comparison in quad mark between nexus and galaxy s, watch just how laggy the nexus is And how smooth galaxy s is. At the end of the day, even with a better gpu, it won't match galaxy s. So why buy an inferior device while something better is available and costs the same?

Watch videos of comparison in quad mark between nexus and galaxy s, watch just how laggy the nexus is And how smooth galaxy s is. At the end of the day, even with a better gpu, it won't match galaxy s. So why buy an inferior device while something better is available and costs the same?

Nexus is Snapdragon isn't it? The G2 is Scorpion.

Nexus is Snapdragon isn't it? The G2 is Scorpion.

Yes, but it is just to show how much faster Hummingbird is compared to Snapdragon. From everything that I see, Scorpion is better, but not as good as the Hummingbird. In the end, you're still left behind.

Yes, but it is just to show how much faster Hummingbird is compared to Snapdragon. From everything that I see, Scorpion is better, but not as good as the Hummingbird. In the end, you're still left behind.

Ah thats right, I forgot that the Galaxy S is Hummingbird.

Agreed I was kinda disappointed when they released specs. It has it's niche though.

Runs vanilla 2.2 with sense apps
HSPA+ device
Physical keyboard
HTC for the anti Samsung crowd
Should have solid dev support out the gate

For those still riding out their contracts rocking a G1 not wanting an SGS this is a decent alternative. By the end of the year though all the current bad ass phones will be left behind anyway. What with the dual core processors right around the corner.

By the end of the year though all the current bad ass phones will be left behind anyway. What with the dual core processors right around the corner.

Yeah why buy something if something better is going to come out. :rolleyes:

Yeah why buy something if something better is going to come out. :rolleyes:

I'm on your side bud. My last statement was in reply to this...
.From everything that I see, Scorpion is better, but not as good as the Hummingbird. In the end, you're still left behind.

There will forever and always be something better around the corner. I went from a G1 to a N1 only a month or so ago. If your more worried about having the best rather than what you need you'll always be wanting something else and never happy with what you have. ;)

I'm hoping that there will be an unlocked/unbranded version (or at least one released in Australia). My HTC Touch Pro 2 is getting a bit old and all it really needs is some better hardware. The design otherwise is still one of the best around.

Agreed I was kinda disappointed when they released specs. It has it's niche though.

Runs vanilla 2.2 with sense apps
HSPA+ device
Physical keyboard
HTC for the anti Samsung crowd
Should have solid dev support out the gate

For those still riding out their contracts rocking a G1 not wanting an SGS this is a decent alternative. By the end of the year though all the current bad ass phones will be left behind anyway. What with the dual core processors right around the corner.

I agree with everything but physical keyboard thing. To me, when you have a screen of that size, no point in it, it only adds to size...

But then I see a lot of people still using g1 Because they want a device that has a physical keyboard, so I do see appeal others will see in g2.

We are on [H], half the people here always want the latest and greatest hardware, thus, upgrades come monthly lol. I used to be same way, not anymore though. I only paid $20 extra from what I've made selling my nexus to get the vibrant, planning to keep it awhile. That's why having the best available is important to me, that way it would last longer. If something better releases with substantially better specs and I could get it without having have to dish out hundreds.... I'd jump on it.

Back