T-Mobile Executives Defend Video-Streaming Service

HardOCP News

[H] News
I hate to admit it, but it is mildly entertaining to watch these two companies go at it like this in public. YouTube will no doubt have a response to these comments by tomorrow.

At a Citigroup investor conference Wednesday, T-Mobile executives shot back, saying YouTube's stance is "absurd." YouTube is owned by Alphabet Inc. "We are kind of dumbfounded, that a company like YouTube would think that adding this choice would somehow be a bad thing," said T-Mobile Chief Operating Officer Mike Sievert. He said YouTube hasn't "done the work yet to become part of the free service."

So turn around and go "fuck you, view all the high quality videos you want, but they're not free data now"

that's bs that they are shaping traffic regardless if you are utilizing the "Binge On" or if youre not over the datacap. Why watch 480p when you have all the abilities to do so in Hi-Def?

So turn around and go "fuck you, view all the high quality videos you want, but they're not free data now"

initially i thought that, but it throttles all traffic on youtube regardless if youre on their free data program or not.

that's bs that they are shaping traffic regardless if you are utilizing the "Binge On" or if youre not over the datacap. Why watch 480p when you have all the abilities to do so in Hi-Def?

As I said in the other post. During a launch event it was stated that YouTube did not want to add tags to the traffic for the signaling to T-Mobile to allow it to be free traffic.

People skipped my other post...:(

As I said in the other post. During a launch event it was stated that YouTube did not want to add tags to the traffic for the signaling to T-Mobile to allow it to be free traffic.

People skipped my other post...:(

TMUS words things very well to make it sound as if they support Net Neutrality, then pull moves like this. They are two faced.

Unless you opt-out I believe; then it goes through as normal?

article makes it sound like a no. That you have two choices, lower quality videos that are through their service and free for you to watch or lower quality videos that you pay for data usage for. However they claim to be helping you with the one you pay for by lowering the quality thus allowing you to watch more while using 1/3 the data. So regardless you get 1/3 the quality if you own a T-Mobile device regardless of what you are doing.

article makes it sound like a no. That you have two choices, lower quality videos that are through their service and free for you to watch or lower quality videos that you pay for data usage for. However they claim to be helping you with the one you pay for by lowering the quality thus allowing you to watch more while using 1/3 the data. So regardless you get 1/3 the quality if you own a T-Mobile device regardless of what you are doing.

No; not at all.

It's enabled by default; and throttles *all* video streams to 480p. Services that TMobile Vets; when @ 480p and Binge-On, well... on.. don't count against your data cap at all.

Youtube with Binge enabled; will be throttled to 480p; and still hit your data cap (though use less data). Netflix and Hulu won't count against data at all.

If you disable Binge On; it's the same as it's always been where your usage counts against your datacap.

And to be clear; the issue people have is that it's enabled by Default.

unlimmited Netflix streaming on my phone on a roadtrip? Yes please; i'll want that enabled 95% of the time as 480p is generally fine for mobile viewing; even on my 1440p cellphone. I trans-coded every star wars movies to ~480p and put them on my phone to watch when i had time in prep of the new one coming out in December. Quality was fine for airplane.

No; not at all.

It's enabled by default; and throttles *all* video streams to 480p. Services that TMobile Vets; when @ 480p and Binge-On, well... on.. don't count against your data cap at all.

Youtube with Binge enabled; will be throttled to 480p; and still hit your data cap (though use less data). Netflix and Hulu won't count against data at all.

If you disable Binge On; it's the same as it's always been where your usage counts against your datacap.

Sorry, either I missed something in the first article there or it wasn't clearly explained. I do see in this one those that you can opt-out if you understand what you are doing.

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...g-may-not-violate-net-neutrality-lawyers-say/

However as the supervisor of Central Office and Support departments for a ISP, I can promise you 99% of the average customers won't understand what you are telling them. You ever listen to somebody spend 20 minutes trying to explain to somebody how to log into webmail? Or try to explain why you can't have a 1.5Mbps internet plan and have 3 people watching Netflix at once, while surfing the internet and how they should have stuck with a 40Mbps plan they were on before while the customer argues that you are just trying to screw them out of money and how if one device works online they all should work? We have customers that have put their wifi routers in a closest in the basement because they won't want them sitting around looking ugly in the house then complain how they can't get signal on the 2nd floor on the opposite side of the house and can't understand why they can't get wifi signal because they can get cell phone service through walls. The average customer sadly has almost no understanding of technology so when youtube starts to look like shit compared to before they won't understand it is because they need to opt-out of some service they were forced into.

You know, on a mobile device you're likely not going to notice. It's a 5-6" screen.

Don't like it, use your alotted data.

99% of the average customers won't understand what you are telling them. .

I think it's also true that 99% of the average customers won't notice a difference between 480p and 1440p youtube video on their cellphone. My mom didn't see a difference between 480p and 1080p on a 55" plasma when they upgraded.

The 1% that will notice the difference are also those who are complaining (me being one to be fair), and are those who will know enough to flick the switch and turn Binge-On off.

Back