T-Mobile buying Mint Mobile

I prepaid for another year with Mint @ $20 for 10GB a month so I'll be sticking with Mint at least until 11/2024 - had an AMEX offer for $45 off a $90+ purchase from Mint, so that's why I prepaid

Heard to keep an eye on this as a legit backup plan - https://www.usmobile.com/
I've been with Mint for over a year now. The service has been solid everywhere I go except for one small part of i45 in Louisiana for me. I won't proactively leave but if Tmo messes things up I'll at least look at options.

Specifically to your point, USMobile I don't think is considered a "national" carrier. At least that's the impression I've always gotten from them. Maybe I'm wrong.

same thing just happened about 8 months ago, verizon buying total wireless out....
and renamed it total by verizon ...price went up $5/month on lowest plan too..

I don't think Mint customers will see any difference, T-Mobile is just bringing the customers in to them directly, and will keep mint alive and same prices. They'll just be the discounted/cheap side side of T-Mobile, so instead of doing sales and discounts on their main services, they'll funnel the customers over to Mint. Kinda like the ATT and Cricket thing where they bought them and brought them on board.
They already have Metro for this. I think they just thought Mint's bulk pre-pay was a good enough play to have as an option of their own. Not to mention Ryan's marketing for Mint is killer. I would expect the brand is much more well known amongst younger more price conscious folks than Metro is.

Total trash. I have a friend on it and they never get MMS's from anyone. The network prioritization is total garbage.
I've been on USMobile for over a year now. I switched from Verizon. My intent was to use the T-mobile sim, but it just didn't work out well. They told me I should really use the Verizon one for my area, so that's what I'm using. There is some definite de-prioritization going on. It's fine at home, but data speeds just are not there at work if I run a speed test. Of course, I don't have a 5G capable phone and now that 3G was taken offline and 5G has been prioritized, that may have something to do with it. I'm on Android and my wife has an iPhone SE (also not 5G). There are places were I get signal and she doesn't. The speeds aren't a problem for me as I can still pretty much do everything on my phone without waiting. Speed tests don't always tell the true story. What I do like is having 3 phones with unlimited everything and two of them with hotspot enabled for around $75/month. Hotspot use is limited to 10 GB per month I believe. However, I'm now on a grandfathered pricing package. I've never had a problem getting texts.

If you guys are looking for alternatives
I got a family member on RedPocket

Plan: Annual- Unlimited Everything (5GB@4G LTE)
Total: $136.55 (this is after tax & everything)

it even lets you call internationally for free. Small downside is its not a "full year" its 360 days. Otherwise been working great.

This sucks, My GF has Mint Mobile. Guess its time to switch when her plan is up. I'm ethically opposed to T-mobile after the shit they pulled with the shots.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...orporate-staff-who-don-t-get-vaccine-by-april
If anything, that gives a stronger reason to support them. Besides, the other majors and their sub-brands also require vaccinations for at least some employees. If you're going to reject science and basic human compassion to the point where you'll boycott cellphone networks, you're going to wind up a disconnected hermit.

I prepaid for another year with Mint @ $20 for 10GB a month so I'll be sticking with Mint at least until 11/2024 - had an AMEX offer for $45 off a $90+ purchase from Mint, so that's why I prepaid

Heard to keep an eye on this as a legit backup plan - https://www.usmobile.com/
I was going to recommend this one. They've been great. Have been using them for over a year. Fast. Cheap. $20mo/15GB 5G. On Verizon's backbone, if you go with the black SIM.

The white SIM is AT&T. You can get an idea of 4G coverage here. Brain cancer causing 5G here.

Never support small businesses, it just pushes them into success to get bought out by the big ones anyways
Hah, that will probably happen to USmobile, too.

Last edited:
I switched to T-mobile from Verizon after 21 years with them. The service is so much better I can't even describe it, the people were friendly and did not laugh in my face like the Verizon store did, and my bill is 1/3 what it was. I basically can't find any downside here.

What value does this have for T-Mobile? Just slightly higher margins?

I mean, the customers are already on their network.
prob easier to spy on them especially if there are warrants outside of where Mint operates which is i believe would be california. i'm sure by now it's common knowledge NSA has contracts w/ all the major players in the game. guess mint has gotten to big for it's own good?

same thing just happened about 8 months ago, verizon buying total wireless out....

My 3 line plan is the same, after it changed to "Total by Verizon"... just can't switch plans.. and it supposed to stay on the "legacy" plan

but.. i'm sure that is subject to change

1679074859673.png
1679074960076.png

So, with the new plans... It's less data (and more $), if I were to switch to one of those specific plans with shared data, 5gb, 15gb per line, etc...

Yeah.. nice try Total Verizon

1679074939425.png

I signed up for a year of 10Gb so I am good thru October. But if the plans change too much I might switch again.

$240 for a year of 10gb a month is pretty amazing.

Fuck T-Mobile.
That is all.
For me, it was F*ck Veriz-o-Non.... I get a way better/cheaper deal with Fi, plus no contracts, no price changes every time I blink, no shitty service, no petty pushy sales assholes insisting that I buy whatever phone THEY are getting kickbacks on any given day, yada yada yada......

Peace out !

If anything, that gives a stronger reason to support them. Besides, the other majors and their sub-brands also require vaccinations for at least some employees. If you're going to reject science and basic human compassion to the point where you'll boycott cellphone networks, you're going to wind up a disconnected hermit.
I want to reply to you but not derail this thread.

So, here you go:
Post in thread 'The Covid "Vaccine" Thread' https://hardforum.com/threads/the-covid-vaccine-thread.2004607/post-1045605172

"Total by Verizon" doesn't even offer my old plan. My wife and I have two phones which was 30GB shared between them for $60/month. Now it is only single line plans.

To get what I have now with the new branding, it would cost me at least $20 more a month between two lines.

This sucks, I can look forward to getting raped again on my cell phone bills. Wonder if this will grandfather me in at the previous rates or if I will end up paying a premium. Guess it's time to shop for a new carrier. 30 Bucks a month was nice, probably end up back on Straight Talk... Wonderful...

Straight Talk is just Verizon pre-paid nowadays ever since Tracfone got bought by Verizon. Tracfone, Net10, Total Wireless, Straight Talk, etc. all got folded under Verizon's umbrella.

Mint raised their data allotments per each tier

$15 plan now comes to 5GB data - so I can finally switch down to that - I prepaid for $240 as mentioned a page back, so looks like I'll be sticking with Mint at least another 2 years vs 1

Acquisition off to a good start IMO 👍

Mint raised their data allotments per each tier

$15 plan now comes to 5GB data - so I can finally switch down to that - I prepaid for $240 as mentioned a page back, so looks like I'll be sticking with Mint at least another 2 years vs 1

Acquisition off to a good start IMO 👍
I think I am gonna sit on the plan another year as well. Top Tier just bumped the hotspot to 10 Gigs which is very useful for me in the field and with my shitty nav system in my car (needs wifi to function). Thinking I better prepay another year before the rates go up.

I think I am gonna sit on the plan another year as well. Top Tier just bumped the hotspot to 10 Gigs which is very useful for me in the field and with my shitty nav system in my car (needs wifi to function). Thinking I better prepay another year before the rates go up.

When you prepay in advanced (not at time of renewal) you're only adding credit to your account so you (and me) will still get hit by any rate increases, they'll just tell you your existing credit isn't enough just pay a little more

From my last credit refill - if the rates remains unchanged, I'll still have around ~$50 left in credit after renewing @ 5GB plan now - and I can't get that $50 leftover credit back out, so why I said looks like I'll be staying an additional 2 years now. Oh well 😂

Yeah, I'm not going anywhere unless I feel squeezed or pressured to move. Still way better than the absolute abysmal trouble I had with Boost Mobile. As far as actual service/coverage/speed, for me it has been great so far, and glad to see I now get an extra 1GB/month at the same price. I currently renew every 3 months but am considering switching it to 6-12 months going forward. On a similar surprising-corporate-move note, my cable ISP recently upped my plan from 300mbps to 1000mbps while maintaining the same price level, surprisingly even without there being much competition around.

I'm not sure what's in the water, or if it will last, but I'll gladly accept getting more for free.

When you prepay in advanced (not at time of renewal) you're only adding credit to your account so you (and me) will still get hit by any rate increases, they'll just tell you your existing credit isn't enough just pay a little more

From my last credit refill - if the rates remains unchanged, I'll still have around ~$50 left in credit after renewing @ 5GB plan now - and I can't get that $50 leftover credit back out, so why I said looks like I'll be staying an additional 2 years now. Oh well 😂
I have 7 months left. The service has been good, I really have no complaints unless I'm in an Industrial zone with it's own power plant.... Which is were I work at BP. Couple spots here I can't get internet but pretty good considering I'm in a massive faraday cage.

Bump, looks like Mint just upped their data with the same price, they're now or currently"
5GB, $15/mp
15GB, $20mo
20GB, $25mo
40/unlimited, $30

For those not aware their previous were at the same prices.....
4, 10, 15, 30/unlimited.

Guess I'm glad FedEx can't deliver to my General Delivery address so I had to get a refund.

Well crap, just saw the post by erek.....

Lol, went to check my data usage and noticed they now have a $40/mo 60GB data, 20GB hotspot plan called "Unnecessary"......
I guess my $30/mo 40GB, 10GB unlimited plan really isn't unlimited.....

I dunno about you guys, but I quit paying for cellphone service. My last carrier was Tmo, then my neighbor hooked me up with the freebie. I get unlimited everything and it costs me zero. Same exact shit I was paying $70 a month for, I now get for free. Hah!

Suckers! :ROFLMAO:

I dunno about you guys, but I quit paying for cellphone service. My last carrier was Tmo, then my neighbor hooked me up with the freebie. I get unlimited everything and it costs me zero. Same exact shit I was paying $70 a month for, I now get for free. Hah!

Suckers! :ROFLMAO:
Don't drink the funny tasting grape juice in his basement.

Back