T-Mobile buying Mint Mobile

Bankie

2[H]4U
https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/t-mobile-is-buying-mint-mobile-in-potential-1-35-billion-deal/

"The deal, which could be worth "up to a maximum of $1.35 billion in a combination of 39% cash and 61% stock" according to a press release, will see T-Mobile bring the brands, which already run on its network, more directly into its operations. The actual sales price will be "based upon Ka'ena's performance during certain periods before and after the closing," the carrier also said in a press release."

"T-Mobile says it expects the deal to close later this year. Once closed, it "plans to use its supplier relationships and distribution scale to help the brands to grow and offer competitive pricing and greater device inventory" to consumers, says the release."

The party was fun while it lasted.

Ryan Reynolds did the same from Aviation Gin. Built them up, sold them, and got paid. I really enjoyed the fact that Mint isn't part of some huge crappy mega corporation. But if they were to get purchased by anyone at least it's Tmo and not the other two abominations. Tmobile has a history of decent customer service. The first obvious thing they'll do is raise the price. Lets see how crazy they go with it. I've been a user for over a year now on five lines. Hopefully they don't mess things up too much.

There were only getting wholesale data rates from Mint. Now they get the entire amount from the user.

True, but now the risk is that those customers just find a different MVNO, and thus they wind up back where they were before the acquisition, just with $1.35 billion less money.

True, but now the risk is that those customers just find a different MVNO, and thus they wind up back where they were before the acquisition, just with $1.35 billion less money.
That's why I brought up their only real move is to raise prices. They have no other play if they want to make investors happy after spending 1.35 billion. Which to your point would just move price conscious consumers (which MVNO customers usually are) somehwere else.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/t-mobile-is-buying-mint-mobile-in-potential-1-35-billion-deal/

"The deal, which could be worth "up to a maximum of $1.35 billion in a combination of 39% cash and 61% stock" according to a press release, will see T-Mobile bring the brands, which already run on its network, more directly into its operations. The actual sales price will be "based upon Ka'ena's performance during certain periods before and after the closing," the carrier also said in a press release."

"T-Mobile says it expects the deal to close later this year. Once closed, it "plans to use its supplier relationships and distribution scale to help the brands to grow and offer competitive pricing and greater device inventory" to consumers, says the release."

Awesome.

This sucks, I can look forward to getting raped again on my cell phone bills. Wonder if this will grandfather me in at the previous rates or if I will end up paying a premium. Guess it's time to shop for a new carrier. 30 Bucks a month was nice, probably end up back on Straight Talk... Wonderful...

This sucks, I can look forward to getting raped again on my cell phone bills. Wonder if this will grandfather me in at the previous rates or if I will end up paying a premium. Guess it's time to shop for a new carrier. 30 Bucks a month was nice, probably end up back on Straight Talk... Wonderful...
I pay $30 a month per line with xfinity. People complain about Comcast, but at least if you use their internet they do have a nice price plan for you for 2 or more lines.

I pay $30 a month per line with xfinity. People complain about Comcast, but at least if you use their internet they do have a nice price plan for you for 2 or more lines.
I would be fine with that other than the fact that verizon shit the bed in my area. It was great, but the coverage area tanked. I'm lucky if I get 1 bar by my house. On Mint I got maximum signal.

I prepaid for another year with Mint @ $20 for 10GB a month so I'll be sticking with Mint at least until 11/2024 - had an AMEX offer for $45 off a $90+ purchase from Mint, so that's why I prepaid

Heard to keep an eye on this as a legit backup plan - https://www.usmobile.com/
I will check out the usmobile thing. Nice of you to post the link.

I would be fine with that other than the fact that verizon shit the bed in my area. It was great, but the coverage area tanked. I'm lucky if I get 1 bar by my house. On Mint I got maximum signal.
Yeah that sucks. I had t-mobile for almost 20 years but for some reason the service at my house was always spotty. I mean it might be fixed because of 5g now but I'm not going back unless something drastic changes.

Yeah that sucks. I had t-mobile for almost 20 years but for some reason the service at my house was always spotty. I mean it might be fixed because of 5g now but I'm not going back unless something drastic changes.
Yeah, I haven't been thrilled on anything over the years other than Verizon. It always amazes me how "whatever G" we are on at the time is only good so long as it's in style. 3G was totally fine until 4G came out. 4G was fine until 5G came out... ugh

I loved my Verizon 4G but it went to shit. Mint has been super stable but the internet connection has been lackluster. Most of the time I feel like 5G is slower than 2G... But I don't want to keep switching phone plans. I am tired of buying new phones. Is Comcast using unlocked phones?

Yeah, I haven't been thrilled on anything over the years other than Verizon. It always amazes me how "whatever G" we are on at the time is only good so long as it's in style. 3G was totally fine until 4G came out. 4G was fine until 5G came out... ugh

I loved my Verizon 4G but it went to shit. Mint has been super stable but the internet connection has been lackluster. Most of the time I feel like 5G is slower than 2G... But I don't want to keep switching phone plans. I am tired of buying new phones. Is Comcast using unlocked phones?
Honestly ive never felt any difference from 3g up. But then the only time i am not on some kind of wifi is when driving and using maps, which never really took up much bandwidth either (usually download offline ones anyways at home).

(puts away his old man stick)

Honestly ive never felt any difference from 3g up. But then the only time i am not on some kind of wifi is when driving and using maps, which never really took up much bandwidth either (usually download offline ones anyways at home).

(puts away his old man stick)
If the speed actually works, 3G is more than enough. It's just getting the stable data transfer for me is the tough part. I am so sick of changing carriers every 2 years. I should have just stayed with Straight Talk, on Verizon... I have like a zillion phones locked to "X" ecosystem. E-Waste Extraordinaire!

The problem is I don't live in a City. Chicago is 35 miles away, and I live in the armpit of Indiana and Chicago. So... coverage changes like the wind or like breaking wind. The area is so spotty for any one carrier it's almost anyone's guess who the best carrier is from town to town.

Ryan Reynolds Net Worth​

$350 Million

Wait for that Disney Marvel money to kick in

deadpool-chimichangas.gif

I have had T-Mobile since they were Powertel. They have always been great in my area and their international coverage is only beaten by Satcom providers. Customer service has always been great and they just work. Can't say that for my work providers who have been all over the board from Sprint, Verizon, Cingular, AT&T, Google, etc.

I have had T-Mobile since they were Powertel. They have always been great in my area and their international coverage is only beaten by Satcom providers. Customer service has always been great and they just work. Can't say that for my work providers who have been all over the board from Sprint, Verizon, Cingular, AT&T, Google, etc.

I have Google Fi, which uses the combination of T-Mobile and Sprint (not sure how that is different than just T-mobile since the merger) and U.S. Cellular (never heard of that one, but I guess it is big in the midwest or something?)

It has worked out great, and the international cost free roaming is second to none.

ONly downside is that opposed to Verizon which I had before, it does occasionally have a dead zone. It's pretty rare, and it usually only happens in the middle of freaking nowhere, but it does happen. With Verizon I never encountered a dead zone.

the problem with Mint Mobile was that you can't pay monthly and they force you to pay in 3-month installments...other than that the service, pricing and features are pretty solid

I have Google Fi, which uses the combination of T-Mobile and Sprint (not sure how that is different than just T-mobile since the merger) and U.S. Cellular (never heard of that one, but I guess it is big in the midwest or something?)

It has worked out great, and the international cost free roaming is second to none.

ONly downside is that opposed to Verizon which I had before, it does occasionally have a dead zone. It's pretty rare, and it usually only happens in the middle of freaking nowhere, but it does happen. With Verizon I never encountered a dead zone.
Google Fi internatonal is total trash for any of their plans other than Plus and still it is ages behind other providers.

my guess is mint started getting too popular so t-mobile just forced their hand to sell by raising wholesale data rates to the point where their current business model no longer worked. better off selling and washing your hands of the problem then having to eat crow and tell consumers you have to raise prices.

my guess is mint started getting too popular so t-mobile just forced their hand to sell by raising wholesale data rates to the point where their current business model no longer worked. better off selling and washing your hands of the problem then having to eat crow and tell consumers you have to raise prices.

I could see that going either way

Times is rough (rate/money wise) so Tmobile jacks rates which forced subsidiaries to either eat it, raise or fold

Or times is rough and Mint couldn't make it work reasonably and cheaply enough anymore on their own so sell while the brand is still good

Or TMobile is just trying to control network distribution and bringing Mint in makes it simpler.

Google Fi internatonal is total trash for any of their plans other than Plus and still it is ages behind other providers.

I don't know man.

I leave the country and it just continu s to work as well as it does at home, with no additional cost to me. That is pretty good to me
That is similar to how I assume T-Mobile works.

I don't know man.

I leave the country and it just continu s to work as well as it does at home, with no additional cost to me. That is pretty good to me
That is similar to how I assume T-Mobile works.
Our Fi folks have lots of issues. Mostly in Eastern Europe, North Africa, East Africa, and Southeast Asia.

I pay $12 per gig for 2 lines with Xfinity. It works fine enough for what we do since we're near a wifi source very often, but yeah live in a major city and I get 1 bar in my house kind of sucks not sure if it's because of an older 4G thing or whatever, but hey for the price it's hard to complain.

Our Fi folks have lots of issues. Mostly in Eastern Europe, North Africa, East Africa, and Southeast Asia.

Well I haven't been to all those places, but I have traveled with Fi to Brazil, France and Sweden, and for me it just worked without any issues. Data speed was good too.

Since it is just a mixed network MVNO, I had assumed it was just running on top of T-Mobiles international roaming features.

I don't think Mint customers will see any difference, T-Mobile is just bringing the customers in to them directly, and will keep mint alive and same prices. They'll just be the discounted/cheap side side of T-Mobile, so instead of doing sales and discounts on their main services, they'll funnel the customers over to Mint. Kinda like the ATT and Cricket thing where they bought them and brought them on board.

Back