T-Mobile and Surface Duo 2

Brokennails

2[H]4U
Anyone have any experience with one of these on T-Mobile. Really thinking of switching from an iPhone 13 to one of these.

Anyone have any experience with one of these on T-Mobile. Really thinking of switching from an iPhone 13 to one of these.
Hate to say it, but the general advice: don't.

The Surface Duo 2 launched to mixed reviews. The software got significantly better thanks to updates, but third-party app support for the dual screens remains a problem. Unless you're all-in with Microsoft apps, it's not going to be the productivity paradise you might want it to be. The jury's still out on whether Microsoft will deliver timelier OS updates (it took a year to provide Android 11). There's also the inherent limitations of the hardware; it's a big beast that can be awkward to hold, it won't fold completely backward (due to the camera hump) and the cameras themselves are mediocre.

Plus... you have an iPhone 13. The Surface Duo 2 will be slower, take lower-quality photos and get fewer OS updates. If I was going to make the leap to a foldable phone, I'd wait for either the Surface Duo 3 (if there is one) or the Galaxy Z Fold 4 (likely due next month) to see if they'll provide meaningful improvements in those areas.

Have you used one?
I haven't myself, if I'm honest. I'm basing my statements on reviews, follow-ups to those reviews and some truths that don't need hands-on time (the lack of Surface Duo-optimized apps, for example). Part of the problem with your question is that... well, very few people have used a Surface Duo 2 on any carrier, let alone T-Mobile. I hadn't seen a Surface Duo of any kind in person until just this month. Here's something that might help:

Last edited:
I haven't myself, if I'm honest. I'm basing my statements on reviews, follow-ups to those reviews and some truths that don't need hands-on time (the lack of Surface Duo-optimized apps, for example). Part of the problem with your question is that... well, very few people have used a Surface Duo 2 on any carrier, let alone T-Mobile. I hadn't seen a Surface Duo of any kind in person until just this month. Here's something that might help:

Look at its band support. That should give you an idea how it should perform.

Looks like it supports everything on T-Mobile except aws band 4 for lte. Just really looking for someone with actual use and not I played with it for a day reviewers and has some experience after a lot of the updates that fixed a quite a few issues.

Looks like it supports everything on T-Mobile except aws band 4 for lte. Just really looking for someone with actual use and not I played with it for a day reviewers and has some experience after a lot of the updates that fixed a quite a few issues.
Mr. Mobile has owned and used the Surface Duo 2 for months, so he's aware of both the problems and the fixes. I'd also point you to Windows Central's five-month look back, although they're fans that won't be completely neutral. I can understand the concern about relying solely on reviewers; that's why I'm trying to focus on experts who've had long-term experience.

Unfortunately, the simple reality is that few people use this phone. All the forum goers I know here have conventional devices like iPhones, non-folding Galaxies and Pixels. You might have some success with the Surface Duo forums at Android Central and Windows Central, but they're relatively quiet.

Back