T-Mobile and Phone selection

MrSneis

2[H]4U
I'm sick of my G1. It's at the point where it crashes pretty much every time I use it, resets don't even seem to help. I found out that I'm "18 months" into my current contract and I did a little bit of researching and basically came to the conclusion that:

1) The T-mobile phone selection is god awfully bad
2) I feel like if I do jump on something it's going to be outdated REAL quick (IE Nexus One, HD2)

But hell, I'm at the point where I'm saying that anything's better than the g1 ;)

Anyone have any ideas? My plan btw is costing me about $86/mo @ 1000 minutes, unlimited text, mobile to mobile, and data.

The Samsung Galaxy S should be coming to T Mobile soon. Announcements should be made next week on the 29th by Samsung about their new phones in the US.

Even if you rooted the phone, it's hampered largely by it's ridiculously low amount of ram.

But it would run smoother and might make him content enough to ride out his contract. Or blow money on a non subsidized phone.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Even if you rooted the phone, it's hampered largely by it's ridiculously low amount of ram.

But it would run smoother and might make him content enough to ride out his contract. Or blow money on a non subsidized phone.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Lol. Both of these.

I rooted the phone today, it's much better to be able to not have the "force close" error pop up every other time I do something.

I'm always asking myself if I should just jump ship to verizon.

I'm sick of my G1. It's at the point where it crashes pretty much every time I use it, resets don't even seem to help. I found out that I'm "18 months" into my current contract and I did a little bit of researching and basically came to the conclusion that:

1) The T-mobile phone selection is god awfully bad
2) I feel like if I do jump on something it's going to be outdated REAL quick (IE Nexus One, HD2)

But hell, I'm at the point where I'm saying that anything's better than the g1 ;)

Anyone have any ideas? My plan btw is costing me about $86/mo @ 1000 minutes, unlimited text, mobile to mobile, and data.

Wait another 30 days, and you'll have Samsung Galaxy S. I'm jumping ship from AT&T's ridiculousness for it.

I need a new phone too and I'm sick of waiting for phones to come out... Like where the hell is the pear 9100??? It seems it's in every country besides the US.

Root it.
See this thread

CM 5.08 stable adds a TON of new features, and it's more stable than the vanilla 1.6 was on my phone.

I was running that on my G1 but the battery drain was really bad. It was much faster though. I finaly had enough and upgraded to the MyTouch slide on the fathers day deal...not my first choice for and new handset but its the best one t-mobile has right now. I am pleasantly surprised with the phone. MUCH faster than my G1. Going to get 2.2 soon. Looking forward to that.

They should have the MyTouch Slide/Cliq for $50 upgrades in some stores, should be a pretty nice jump from that G1.

But I heard Sprints coming out with a Galaxy S Pro with 4G/QWERTY and all, should be worth the wait.

Not being rude or anything, but this should be obvious. The phone is basically outdated on the day it's release because a better version is already in the works for couple months later.

- If you want to stay for T-Mobile, wait for the Vibrant.
- If you need one now, get the MyTouch Slide.
- If you don't want to be with T-Mobile anymore, go to either Verizon(for Droid X/Droid2) or Sprint(Samsung Galaxy S pro, but you will be waiting since no date is announced for it. All I know is that it'll be out by the end of this year).

I didn't mention At&t because most people go to them for just the iPhone, plus they cripple the Android phones they have, and you mentioned the G1 so I assume you want to stay with Android.

This is my biggest problem right now. My contact is almost up with my G1 and looking to upgrade. The Mytouch Slide is a quicker phone, but not fast enough (longevity for 2 years will be low, like the G1 is now, underpowered). The Vibrant is a good option but I feel the next gen phones are just around the corner (q4 2010) and will be shooting my self in the foot upgrading now.

Hopefully Froyo will be a nice speed boost to hold me over till the 3rd gen android phones come out.

Also I keep checking craigslist for a cheap Mytouch 1.2 (3.5mm Audio Jack on it) as it has a bit more ram (256 iirc vs the 192 of the G1/Mytouch3g)....

Last edited:
Well if you want to put faith in a rumor...
http://www.tmonews.com/2010/06/dual-core-processor-htc-vision-hitting-t-mobile-this-holiday/

Lets just throw this out there right away and say while its highly possible, we’re going to stick this rumor firmly in the rumor category. Last night, during the Androidguys Podcast, Scotty Brown, an Androidguys writer discussed a conversation he had with an HTC rep at an event. Apparently, this HTC rep confessed to a super device coming to T-Mobile later this year. With a 4.3 inch screen, 800mhz dual core processor, Android3 (Gingerbread) and perhaps an 8 megapixel camera this device certainly can get some hopes up. With that said, Androidguys (or at least Ray from Androidguys) went so far as to personally guarantee his belief that this phone is the fabled Project Emerald device. Ray believes this device will be the HTC Vision. Information regarding the HTC vision that leaked in May definitely hinted toward a T-Mobile launch. With the belief that Project Emerald was an HTC device with a Qwerty keyboard, something the Vision is alleged to have so it’s definitely well within possibility. However, at this point its easy to point fingers at any HTC phone heading T-Mobile’s way and call it Project Emerald so won’t go as far as he was, but we’re not saying its wrong either.

My contract is up in 4 months. Can't decide to get the vibrant or a Nexus 1...Leaving tmo isnt an option as the others are too damned expensive for me.

Whatever you do.....stay away from the Cliq MB200....yes the real keyboard is nice, yes it's cheap, but as I sit, I am now waiting to see if mine has decided yet again to lock up completely, forcing me to watch it drain the battery until spent so it will work again.

Yup you read it right. This is the second time it has randomly locked the touchscreen interface after sitting for a few days untouched. Factory resets do not fix it, Android updates do not fix it, the only thing I have found that does(oddly enough) is to drain the damn battery completely, until it won't power on.

I then remove the battery for an hour or so, put back in, do a full wall recharge, and it works again. This hardware is buggy at best. When it runs, I love it, now that I finally have it's resource hog apps pared to just what I want.

The best part of this, I'm trying to quit smoking as well, and this thing almost went ballistic 15 minutes ago upon realization of the problem yet again. I was thinking about getting the Cliq2 as an upgrade, but, I think I'm done with Moto products for now, the steady stream of garbage, delays, MotoBlur...it's all too much to bear in a locked down product, this kind of failure is unacceptable.

BTW, the Nexus One's hardware is hardly 'outdated' when compared to the level of mine or the G1. Anyway, off contract G2s are under 300 and so are many Galaxy S phones which are made well from what I read. I want the physical kb so I'm kind of limited to my choices now.

If I didn't need this damn thing to work, and if it didn't have such a nice screen for a cheaper phone....it would be at my buddy's gun store for target practice.

HD2 is not eactly what I would call outdated considering you can pretty much run any OS you want on it.

Decent screen
Plenty of ram
Decent interal storage

Personally I am going to pass on the newest dual core stuff because outside of some very cherry picked benchies, you are not going to notice anything until the software catches up.....

Back