T-Mobile acquires Metro PCS. What now?

ReconSniper

[H]ard|Gawd
What benefit do you think will be in store for us? T-Mobile is already one of the cheaper companies around, and with this acquisition I would think that their coverage would increase. Does anyone know what we should expect? I need to dump this 105$ a month ATT bill. I would love something like Metro's 50 a month unlimited so long as I had coverage everywhere like I have with ATT.

Nothing good for consumers comes out of corporate acquisitions. Those happen for their own benefit only.

Check Ting out if you're not using a ton of minutes/data.

I think it won't make a difference. T-Mobile's owner, Deutsche Telekom AG, wants to sell. It didn't work with AT&T, but they found another customer in Metro PCS; I believe, technically, Metro is taking over T Mobile though?

I don't believe it will make a difference because T-Mobile has already stated their future in prepaid and month to month plans. They are setting up a distinction between their competitors, AT&T and Verizon primarily, as not being "locked in." While I've never used Metro PCS, they seem to be doing the same thing so I don't believe we'll see anything different than the course they've charted already.

if you've got an gsm phone. maybe check out straight talk.

i think ting requires u to buy a phone from them

if you have a cdma phone esp vzw, try page plus.

The new FCC commissioner would have let AT&T buy out T-Mo... Scary!

Basically, the intent behind the T-Mobile/MetroPCS reverse merger was two-fold; allow T-Mobile more spectrum for better coverage, and give Deutsch Telecom more of an asset for a later sale.

As for the spectrum, Metro PCS has licenses in areas where T-Mobile is weak, especially the northeast. T-Mobile plans to shutter Metro's CDMA network, converting current users to GSM phones, and using the extra spectrum to broaden their own network.

Basically, the intent behind the T-Mobile/MetroPCS reverse merger was two-fold; allow T-Mobile more spectrum for better coverage, and give Deutsch Telecom more of an asset for a later sale.

As for the spectrum, Metro PCS has licenses in areas where T-Mobile is weak, especially the northeast. T-Mobile plans to shutter Metro's CDMA network, converting current users to GSM phones, and using the extra spectrum to broaden their own network.

Wonder how long it will take TM to merge these towers. I'd say more then 2 years.

I don't think it will impact existing service for Tmo customers in the short term unless Metro PCS 's LTE infastructure can be leveraged quickly by Tmo. I have been a Tmo customer for some time but am thinking about switching to another carrier because my coverage is so poor in my area (New Orleans Metro). The jury is still out in LTE.

Wonder how long it will take TM to merge these towers. I'd say more then 2 years.

Depends. For areas where T-Mobile already has towers, they simply have to refarm the spectrum. Going from a width of 5-15 mhz to 20-40mhz would greatly increase available coverage and capacity. There are many areas like this where T-Mobile is simply spectrum limited.

In areas where T-Mobile has to physically put up towers for expansion, this may take some more time.

Back