T-FORCE VULCAN & G.SKILL Flare X AM4 Overclocking @ [H]

I think it is great to see these tests. Yes I do want to know if I should overclock vs. tighten my timings. I like seeing reviews not specifically about a single product, but about maximising your own performance.

Do you do anything special to make it stable at 3466?
Probably just better CPU\MB.

Yes I do want to know if I should overclock vs. tighten my timings.
Frequency vs timings is a balance since both reduce latency you just need to be careful that you don't relax timings so much that the final latency is slower when your done.
Use something like aida64 to test this when overclocking.

Probably just better CPU\MB

I couldn't answer that , it's one of the early release CPUs...I bought it two days after debut..seems like the x CPUs are a bit better though, there are alot of people that bought into the whole 'buy a non x and overclock it to an x' that can't seem to get their CPUs past 3333...

I couldn't answer that , it's one of the early release CPUs...I bought it two days after debut..seems like the x CPUs are a bit better though, there are alot of people that bought into the whole 'buy a non x and overclock it to an x' that can't seem to get their CPUs past 3333...

Well if thats the facts, I consider myself lucky getting to 3400 (3393 because base clock is 99.8 instead of 100).

I'm actually quite happy with the system as it is right now.

In the future I'll probably buy the 2700x, if I cant wait until the next revision of Ryzen comes out.

I actually like the "TUF B450-plus gaming". It has exactly the features I need, and has been very reliable in my setup.

Much better than the "TUF B350m-plus gaming" it replaced. With that I had to run lower clocks on the mem / CPU to have stability.

Edit:

Well it turned out that it wasn't completely stable at 3400. I could boot the system, and one boot would run a whole day, without crashes. Next boot, the system would crash within minutes.
At 3333 (3326), the system is reliable everytime I boot it. So I'll leave it at that.

Edit 2 (December 18):

With the newest bioses ASUS added AGESA 1006, which I was surprised wasn't present from release. But anyway, this has helped my system to run at 3400 (3393) reliably. I am even able to run fast settings from Ryzen DRAM calculator, which before this, would not even allow the system to boot.

Last edited:
well after a few months of tweaking i have this kit running really nice at 1.5v
1812 56k.jpg

3620 cas14 is VERY nice. Where you ever able to get the latency lower than that?

At least for gaming, you would probably be better off trying to get closer to 60 ns with something like 3500 cas14.

Back