System won't post...think i have narrowed it down..

Headbust

[H]ard|Gawd
So since yesterday my PC would not boot, specs in sig.

It would just keep repeating turning on, turning off. All fans would come up, all LED's on the mobo as usual, but then just should down for a couple seconds then try again non stop. So after tinkering around a bit i figured it was time for an upgrade anyway...So i ordereda I7 4770k and was about to order a new mobo, ram and case. Then....

I pulled out 3 of the 4 sticks of RAM, still no boot. Then I started thinking about the video card ( MSI 460GTX) and so i pull it out and start the system It starts right up and seems to be doing it's thing in the background. I was surprised there were no beeps or anything though. I let it run for about it minute then shut it down. Luckily i had an old 8800GTS kicking around and though that in and it boots right up now. BUT...when i put the RAM back in it won't.

Is the power supply going?

Test with a spare PSU if you can. My hunch is the motherboard though.

I would say it is about 50/50 whether it is mobo or psu. I would just complete my upgrade and get a new PSU along with it. When you get the PSU try it out in the old system real fast and see if that was it, then you will be pretty certain which of the two it really is.

Sounds like a motherboard issue. The only thing that draws a lot of power during/prior to POST are the HDDs. Unplug them if they're just slave drives.

Back