System unstable, occasion reboots.

Rivera

Limp Gawd
Hi all
I OCed my system (in sig) to 4.4 ghz, using built-in profile on my Maximus V, however i experience reboots sometimes. It looks like freezing for 5-10 secs, then instant reboot without BSODs or etc. Same on 4.3. Same on 4.2.
I tried setting CPU voltage from 1.25 to 1.3, as well as upping RAM to 1.65 without any success - it will reboot anyway. Randomly.
From what can i say, it's not:
Videocard. It reboots sometimes even in game menu, without GPU load, and i stress-tested video using FurMark. Video is not overclocked btw.
It's not temperature problem. Even under heavy load i have <70C on CPU, <70C on GPU, around 50 on PLX.
Broken RAM. Few bypasses by memtest verified that memory is OK.
PSU, by all calculations there is more than enough power.
BTW on 4.5 it BSODs just after reboot saying something about page fault in non-paged area.
I have sysdumps but i does not know what to do with them - i'm unix admin and all this stuff says nothing to me. I can upload them if you want.
System is Win8, btw.
Any clues?

UPD: generated crash list. If you want complete dumps, just ask.

Is it just possible the chip isn't a good overclocker?

Also, I would reset to optimized defaults and then just change the multiplier and see if that changes things. I'm not sure what you mean about the built in profile, is that some type of auto O/C? If so, it could be bumping up the fsb clock to like 103 or something versus 100, and I have seen people have problems with that setup.

Well this is Maximus V Extreme which got good reviews about OC capability...
AFAIK builtin profile is just some predefined voltages and multipliers (in case of 4.4 it's 1.25 and x44).
If i set x45, i get BSOD.
If i bump BLCK to anything more than 100 i get instant freeze (not even BSOD) with glitches on display.

Last edited:
I was able to get it booting on 4.5 (x45), after reinstalling windows (previous was transferred from my notebook) but after running FFT-Z for 10 mins it reboots. Not sure why - temp was around 75C on hottest core. It (fft-z) was not able to detect my CPU temp by some reason, but i was able to watch it with speedfan. Not more than 75C. Currently hammering it on 4.4 ghz with same fft-z, four passes, no reboots. PSU is cold, as well as CPU, PLX and GPU.

It could be that your particular 3570k is not a good overclocker. It can and does happen.

You may also want to check if your memory subsystem is completely stable. I would suggest running HCI Memtest.

what is "HCI" memtest? Or this is "HCL" memtest?

UPD: i heard about "stubborn" CPUs. It may be the case?

hci memtest. It's a tool that runs inside Windows that stresses your IMC and memory.

I would bump the voltage up quite a bit and see if that fixes it.

If it runs solid at 4.4 with normal/low volt settings and low temps, I would keep it there. Bumping up the volts to get another 100 probably isn't worth it in any benchmarks.

Yeah, after resetting bios and manually reconfiguring V at 1.25 and multiplier at x44 it runs perfectly stable. At 4.5 i got memory_management fault, probably because i have RAM which is not good for OC. Conclusion - do not use stock overclock and configure everything manually. Thanks for help.

Same thing happened on my i5 setup....couldn't figure it out for weeks why it would reboot randomly since it was prime stable for 12+ hours! Had to really decrease my OC

Back