System Shock series of games

Reading this thread brought back lots of fond memories of SS2, and I am now downloading the first game (it is on underdog too). I've never played it before and I hope I can get it working.
I might have to break out my old 120mhz laptop to get it going.

wow, it looks like i really missed out. Will try and get a copy so I can at least say I have seen it hands on!! Thanks for all the replies.

My game crashes when loading the first level.. i need a good patch for it..lol but my internet isn't hooked up at home yet :/ ...

There are a lot of places to get help if the game crashes, or won't load. Start at www.ttlg.com in the system shock forums. There are sticky threads on getting them to work. If you have Hyperthreading, the game won't run, so you either have to disable it in the task manager (I forgot how,) or you have to patch the .EXE file to run on a single logical processor. There are fixed EXEs for it floating around, and there might even be one linked in those forums. Another good resource is: http://shock.musicexplosion.net/

The problem where it crashes loading the first level is often caused by a texture management bug. There is also a fix for this. It requires editing a couple .CFG files. This is discussed in those threads.

These places will get you up and running with both System Shock 1 and 2. Another place to get help for all DOS games and older Windows games is http://vogons.zetafleet.com

Also, If you've got a really fast computer, you can run System Shock 1 in the DOSBox emulator, found at http://dosbox.sourceforge.net This emulator is AMAZING. It will run nearly every DOS game there is. Has a variety of virtual hardware support (VESA, CD extensions, mounting directories as HDDs, SB16 and GUS support, etc.)

You now have no excuse not to play through both games.

You'll also be able to find the weapon degradation settings for the .CFG files there.

Hey how do you get it to install? I d/led it and I read the info file but I didn't get an .exe file, just a bunch of .c00 files.

From what I remember, there is no 'install exe'. You just copy those files to the correct folders and thats it. Remember, its just new textures and models.

First time through I'd play without the model update. (Just the textures.) Those models are really really good, but the old boxy ones are scarier. More surreal.

Syphon Filter said:
I have never played any of the System Shock games

/let the stoning commence!! :eek:

...are these to be considered to be great games? I hadnt even heard of them until recently...

Foolish hacker, how can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

J3RK said:
Also, If you've got a really fast computer, you can run System Shock 1 in the DOSBox emulator, found at http://dosbox.sourceforge.net This emulator is AMAZING. It will run nearly every DOS game there is. Has a variety of virtual hardware support (VESA, CD extensions, mounting directories as HDDs, SB16 and GUS support, etc.)

YAY! Now I can play XCom again! Thanks!

System Shock 2? AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! THE MONKEYS! KEEP THEM AWAY!

I thought I had forever lost my SS2 CD when I had moved, thanks for the links. :)

SS2 ruled, graphics were bad even when it was new, but the gameplay is great, the sounds are great, and so on... total killer game experience. :cool:

CastleBravo said:
SS2 ruled, graphics were bad even when it was new, but the gameplay is great, the sounds are great, and so on... total killer game experience. :cool:
Yeah, it was one of those games you beat and then go "Ahhhhhhhhh", and you're satisfied with the great experience you just had.

Kinda like nailing two hot chicks at the same time........

or so I've heard. :p

CastleBravo said:

I disagree, I just think SOME of textures needed to be redone, and the poly count needed to be higher. The lighting, however, was spectacular for the time, as were the special effects. HL1 had nothing on SS2's lighting. :)

theNoid said:
From what I remember, there is no 'install exe'. You just copy those files to the correct folders and thats it. Remember, its just new textures and models.
no no no I'm talking about the System Shock 2 file I d/led from Underdog. I'm trying to figure out how to install it.

I just got System Shock 1 working on my XP box. The graphics are sooooo old. The interface is a little cumbersome, but I'm getting used to it. It is harder than the SS2, at least the first level, your weapons mostly suck.

Keep playing. You will love some of the weapons later on. The executive deck is ssssooooo fun! I got so sucked into SS1 when it first came out, that I only left the computer room to eat. I didn't sleep for a few days. (Took a couple of naps though.) I just installed it the other day. I'm going to start playing it again soon.

:D I actually bought every copy of SS1 in my area. I went to all the EBs and picked up the Classic EA version for $1.99 each, and got around 6-7 copies. Gave a couple of them to friends, and kept a few. (I don't ever want to be without a copy of this game.)

Heh, isn't that sad? I think over the years I've bought roughly 6 copies of SS2 and just gave them to friends as well. You KNOW its a good game when someone buys it and gives it to you just so that they can "experience the game one more time through your eyes..." Some of my friends couldn't finish it, too scared. One even got as far as the last level but just...couldnt...do it... "Teh Many" overwhelmed them...

Woot! Got it installed and did the texture mod, I'll wait on the character mod until I beat it.

For anyone having trouble getting it to run on XP, I ran into the same thing a year ago when I played it. Here is the workaround:
Make sure it's patched with the latest patch avail. on www.fileshack.com . After installing this patch, you will need to edit the shock.cfg file in the System Shock 2 folder on the hard drive. Open the shock.cfg file with notepad, and add the text "safe_texture_manager" on a line of its own. This change will become active when the file is saved.

Right click the shock2.exe, properties, compatibility, set to run in Windows 2000 compatibility mode. Repeat with clokspl.exe. You should be good to go!

Also, there's a couple user mods that improve the dated graphics.

Better models:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.htm

Better textures:
http://shtup.home.att.net/

Make sure to read the readme's thoroughly, especially the one that comes with the texture pack.

You can also set higher resolutions than are listed in-game by editing the cam.cfg file in the main directory. Plus the game is old and low poly enough that you can easily enable 6xAA and 8x quality AF with buttah smooth framerates.

If your processor has hyperthreading, you will also need to follow the instructions here:
http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm

Got the .exe file and I installed everything and got it working. Just loves to crash after it loads the first lvl. I found a thing that makes it work for XP but you need the CD in order for it to work. Anyone get around this? I'm tired of looking.

wow.

I just started playing SS2 today....met my first enemy, scared the shit out of me.

the poor graphics really helps scare you...instead of going "meh another imp or headcrab just jumped at me", the graphics are so crappy that you don't know what came running at you.

*sigh*

and all I had at the time was a wrench...

I'm liking this game so far; I'm going for the psi abilities...I'm curious what that'll get me :)

Xenomaniac said:
I found a thing that makes it work for XP

Link please?

Edit: Found it, doesn't help

bipolar said:
For anyone having trouble getting it to run on XP, I ran into the same thing a year ago when I played it. Here is the workaround:
Make sure it's patched with the latest patch avail. on www.fileshack.com . After installing this patch, you will need to edit the shock.cfg file in the System Shock 2 folder on the hard drive. Open the shock.cfg file with notepad, and add the text "safe_texture_manager" on a line of its own. This change will become active when the file is saved.

Right click the shock2.exe, properties, compatibility, set to run in Windows 2000 compatibility mode. Repeat with clokspl.exe. You should be good to go!

Also, there's a couple user mods that improve the dated graphics.

Better models:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.htm

Better textures:
http://shtup.home.att.net/

Make sure to read the readme's thoroughly, especially the one that comes with the texture pack.

You can also set higher resolutions than are listed in-game by editing the cam.cfg file in the main directory. Plus the game is old and low poly enough that you can easily enable 6xAA and 8x quality AF with buttah smooth framerates.

If your processor has hyperthreading, you will also need to follow the instructions here:
http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm

Done that, it doesn't help. It starts, black screen, back to desktop. Any ideas. This is seriously depressing me.

NecessaryEvil said:
I'm liking this game so far; I'm going for the psi abilities...I'm curious what that'll get me

I went psi my first time through. You will have some sweet fucking powers by the end. ;)

colin said:
I went psi my first time through. You will have some sweet fucking powers by the end. ;)

I've never done it with Psi (am going to go through again). My buddy did though and said though it was cool, the white hypos were always hard to come by. True?

Yeah they were hard to come by, but you could get this power that let you turn health into psi energy. I don't remember how it worked exactly, but it cost like 1 psi and 15 health, and would give you 10, 15, even 20 psi in return (depending on how high the power was developed) Med hypos were a lot easier to come by, and you don't get hurt as much when you are invisible :D

colin said:
Yeah they were hard to come by, but you could get this power that let you turn health into psi energy. I don't remember how it worked exactly, but it cost like 1 psi and 15 health, and would give you 10, 15, even 20 psi in return (depending on how high the power was developed) Med hypos were a lot easier to come by, and you don't get hurt as much when you are invisible :D

You can be invisible!!! (cue the Aladdin song "A whole new world") Definitely time to go through it a third time...

CrimandEvil said:
Anyone have a link for the weapons fix hack?

Aw come-on, nothing better then something jumping out at you and then you furiously pull the trigger and hear the sound of your gun jamming! :p (sorry don't know link)

System Shock 2 easily the best fps ever made and thus competes hard for the overall ever made. System Shock 2 with Source or Doom 3 graphics would easily top out any of todays fps games like Half Life 2, Doom 3 and Far Cry. That is if the atmosphere is still left intact.

Will also make people shut up about how great Half Lifes story was when they see how much better SS 2:s story is. The atmosphere in that game has yet to be beaten also.

oqvist said:
System Shock 2 easily the best fps ever made and thus competes hard for the overall ever made. System Shock 2 with Source or Doom 3 graphics would easily top out any of todays fps games like Half Life 2, Doom 3 and Far Cry. That is if the atmosphere is still left intact.

Will also make people shut up about how great Half Lifes story was when they see how much better SS 2:s story is. The atmosphere in that game has yet to be beaten also.

Agreed! The next installment is due out this year ... Bioshock! (though its using the Tribes:Vengence engine :/ )

theNoid said:
Agreed! The next installment is due out this year ... Bioshock! (though its using the Tribes:Vengence engine :/ )

And its a different plot completely. As long as the atmosphere/style is the same, I guess you can only have the whole "citadel" thing happen 1-2 times. Three times would make you some kind of Universe Police dude or something... :p

I've got a .EXE file at home with all the necessary fixes done to it. (Hyperthreading fix, etc.,) so I'll try to make it available once I get there.

GOT THE ONE FROM UNDERDOG TO WORK!!!!!!! Very Simple procedure.

Just add "safe_texture_manager" into the Cam.cgf file. Here is step by step for the computerly challenged

Right-click cam.cgf in your System Shock 2 file directory and open it with note pad.
At the bottom of the document add the text "safe_texture_manager" without the quotation ( "" ) marks.
Save the file and bam, it works.

Back