System Shock Remastered Demo Available June 28th

Does DLSS work better in 4K? I've been fairly underwhelmed by it in a lot of games at 1440p. I mean, it does definitely improve framerate a LOT, but I almost always can tell the graphical quality decrease it has.
I think it depends on the base resolution being used, which unfortunately I have not seen specified. I think for UHD 4K it uses 1920x1080, but that may differ depending on what quality DLSS you're using. 2560x1440 may similarly use 1280x720 as the base. That is how you are able to get twice the performance with it on.

is the SS remake still scheduled to be released this Summer?...still no date with the recent trailer...

is the SS remake still scheduled to be released this Summer?...still no date with the recent trailer...
I haven’t seen any mention of it in the emails I get. Each one as of late had been further and further into “detail” work though, and less large design work. That’s probably a good sign.

I hope it’s ready soon, but I also prefer they do it right. This is one thing I absolutely do not want rushed and messed up. So far it looks amazing.

what happened to this?...Summer 2021 release?...I'm guessing we won't see it until 2022...

what happened to this?...Summer 2021 release?...I'm guessing we won't see it until 2022...
All we have are empty words from the CEO. No meaningful update about what is going on with the game since the deluge of them half a year ago. I think if you opened up preorders for a game that you should at least have the decency to let people know what is going on. Personally, I would never give my money to somebody for a product that does not have a release date. Delays can happen at that point, yes, but at least by that point you can be 99% certain that there is a real product coming around that timeframe. No point in preordering games unless there were some incentives you want to take advantage of, anyway.

https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1433172200928989187

First, I agree that they deserve a bit of good will, and it was a fan funded project that would have never really happened otherwise.

The thing that put me off a bit was when they started trying to make it their own game. Which is understandable. There is so much to work with, that I can see it being easy to get carried away with, what if we improve this, add that, and get off track.

I know why they did, and can’t fault them. They just didn’t realize how revered the original was by fans, and had to reset.

I didn’t like it, but I’m glad they realized it, and went back to the original vision.

I still wish it was ready now. It maybe could have been. However, everything I see them post in the emails I get, looks better and better. (And still in the spirit of the original.)

Thing is, the game they were trying to make would be pretty amazing. I hope they can make their own vision of this TYPE of game after they release this.

I forgive them for the straying. This once. :D

Hopefully it will release first half 2022. Who knows. I still play the enhanced DOS version :D

Any System Shock is good System Shock, even if it takes a while. If it pushes ouf another year, I’ll give up being positive.

I agree J3RK , I like what I'm seeing, but sorta hope they do eventually continue the path they started down, it looked interesting.

LOL, confusion over dates? Yeah, the only confusion is that they gave a date and then missed it without uttering a beep. And now they advertise other games they have been working on, on the kickstarter page of the game they were supposed to deliver years ago. Talk about being out of touch. This is the equivalent of pissing in backers mouths and calling it rain.

LOL, confusion over dates? Yeah, the only confusion is that they gave a date and then missed it without uttering a beep. And now they advertise other games they have been working on, on the kickstarter page of the game they were supposed to deliver years ago. Talk about being out of touch. This is the equivalent of pissing in backers mouths and calling it rain.

There was no confusion. I never expected them to be able to remake the best game ever made, to everyone's expectations, with a tiny team, in anything close to ANY estimated time frame that they could have given. Anyone that did, doesn't know game development at all. They are still WELL within what I would consider a reasonable time frame for this undertaking. They slipped once, due to changing vision (inappropriately IMO) mid-development. That was the only problem that I have seen during the development of this game. Otherwise they've been pretty spot-on. The slowing down of updates seems to be relative to them trying to wrap things up with polish. It was never going to come out "on time". In fact "on time" in game development is an absolute joke. What they could have done better, is given people that don't understand any of this a more realistic (or less specific) timeline, and maybe kept a slightly more consistent stream of information coming.

Personally, I'd rather they finish the game than keep sending out monthly (or more) updates. That seems to be what they're doing now.

Also, I can't say for sure, but I would guess that the team working on this, isn't working on all their other games, or at least many of them? They probably have different people for different projects with a bit of overlap. (despite being a small company) Like I said, I don't know this for sure, but that's fairly typical even for smaller companies.

People get so completely bent out of shape over "release dates". How many broken games, missed dates, publisher-pushed-crap-in-a-bucket, etc. does one need to see before they just decide to wait patiently, and play something else until a game gets a proper release. Whether or not the devs tried to make a date. Everyone on this forum has probably waited for the release of hundreds of games. Everyone on this forum has probably complained about issues when tens or more of these games shipped before they were finished and had problems.

It's easy to be excited for something you want to see, (I know I am) but small studio + probably one of the (if not the) most revered properties in PC game history + initial setbacks will probably = a somewhat late game. I'm not sure how this wouldn't be the case. (whether I like it or not) Just trying to be realistic about it. I backed it, then backed it with more funds, and am still not even remotely worried or angry. This doesn't even register on the scale of sketchy backer-funded games.

Last edited by a moderator:
September 2021 Update

We have some big news to share in the future that will help make sense of what’s been going on, and again we thank you for your patience...we are working on the final polish for the enemies, weapons, levels, and cinematics...

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3236806
This update mentions "early blockouts" of a level in the game.. and for those who don't know, there are only a few levels in the game. Each one constitutes a fairly huge chunk of the game as a whole. To be showing "early" screens of a level at this date is pretty alarming as it suggests a surprising lack of progress.

This update mentions "early blockouts" of a level in the game.. and for those who don't know, there are only a few levels in the game. Each one constitutes a fairly huge chunk of the game as a whole. To be showing "early" screens of a level at this date is pretty alarming as it suggests a surprising lack of progress.

I think you’re reading too much into it.

The demo is already amazing. If you’ve followed all of the updates, you’ll know that the second (red, is that med or sci I can’t remember at the moment) level already looks perfect.

I think the levels are about done. I think they’re still populating them, tweaking them, etc. with objects that they’ve still been working on. I know that they’ve been building enemies all along including recently. So they probably have to go back and place all that, weapons, supplies, objects, etc.

Everything I’ve seen looks amazing. They still need to get it all placed and assembled into a proper game.

Tiny team. Big(ish) game designed in the early 90s. Fan expectations through the roof, a couple of stumbled along the way (engine switch (good idea)) changing the vision (not good), then trying to change assets into what people remember with all their different colored specs. There was NO way they’d ever meet a typical timeline.

What is apparent, is that they have been on the right path, but the shit is going to take longer than they or we wanted.

Who cares if it comes out right this minute?

Night Dive hasn’t really done anything wrong in their history, except a few missteps in development of this game, and they have it under control.

They’re still unfortunately making up time they lost early on. Their updates are solid. They’re just all late relative to those early mistakes.

The only other mistake was slapping a date on it.

It will arrive when it’s ready.

I don’t see how anyone can fault anything, unless it sucks garbage through a coffee-stirrer when it finally arrives.

Which other than maybe a launch hiccup or two, my money is against.

I’m not a backer zealot. I know what CAN happen. I just haven’t seen any real signs (other than tardiness) since they went down their personal-vision rabbit hole that this could end poorly.

If anyone wants to put some money on it, run through a panel of reasonable fans, I’ll take the bet. ;) Release date be damned as long as it’s in the next year to year point five.

Edit: Made a few ninja-edits-TM to correct spellings since I posted from my phone after a couple bottles of Champagne. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, there is no rush. I have hundreds of unplayed games in my Steam library, plus I play the same old games over and over again. They can take all the time they need.

‘System Shock’ Live-Action Series Based On Video Game Franchise In The Works From Binge & Nightdive Studios

Binge, an upcoming gaming entertainment streaming platform, has added a live-action series adaptation of Nightdive Studios’ System Shock to its slate of original programming

“System Shock is an iconic franchise adored by gamers for more than two decades and a series that helped redefine what it meant to play an FPS,” said Ungar, Binge’s Chief Content Officer. “We’re excited to do right by the franchise – and the genre – in bringing System Shock to life. Get ready for SHODAN”

https://deadline.com/2021/10/system...orks-from-binge-nightdive-studios-1234854806/

Last edited:
Hmmm…. Concentrate on the game…. Do weird, side crap later…

Hmmm…. Concentrate on the game…. Do weird, side crap later…
I'd say the two have zero crossover in terms of personnel. My concern is it being on a nobody network from a nobody studio. Is there going to be a big enough budget to do it any kind of justice?

I'd say the two have zero crossover in terms of personnel. My concern is it being on a nobody network from a nobody studio. Is there going to be a big enough budget to do it any kind of justice?

Well, there’s that. It’ll probably have “heart” but end up not doing it any kind of justice.

I agree that there’s probably not much crossover. I just think that sort of thing should be announced AFTER the game releases. :D

I’m a really easy going, forgiving guy with game schedules. You’ll probably notice that in my posts. Still, as a studio, I think the game really needs to come before anything like this.

Who knows though, it could wind up being the most celebrated bit of cinema since Kubrick…

:ROFLMAO:

Prime Matter, who is a publisher owned by Embracer Group, who is a publisher owned by Deep Silver, who is a publisher owned by Koch Media (who is a publisher), has announced they are quad-publishing System Shock. Or something.

https://twitter.com/primemattergg/status/1470740145980780553

1639503825969.png

Prime Matter, who is a publisher owned by Embracer Group, who is a publisher owned by Deep Silver, who is a publisher owned by Koch Media (who is a publisher), has announced they are quad-publishing System Shock. Or something.

https://twitter.com/primemattergg/status/1470740145980780553

View attachment 421887

Apparently Prime Matter and Deep Silver are both divisions of Koch Media which is a division of Embracer Group. Embracer was the company once known as THQNordic and just Nordic prior to that. I’m not sure if this makes things more or less confusing.

LOL, I thought the topic is getting traction because this game is actually getting released. But no, another delay. How long ago was this supposed to come out? Oh yeah, December 2017. So only 4 years late, now possibly going to be 5. Getting close to star citizen territory here.

LOL, I thought the topic is getting traction because this game is actually getting released. But no, another delay. How long ago was this supposed to come out? Oh yeah, December 2017. So only 4 years late, now possibly going to be 5. Getting close to star citizen territory here.
Hopefully it is released soon and it's very polished. It would be sad to see them take that long and it be a buggy mess.

Apparently Prime Matter and Deep Silver are both divisions of Koch Media which is a division of Embracer Group. Embracer was the company once known as THQNordic and just Nordic prior to that. I’m not sure if this makes things more or less confusing.
Embracer is an affectionate company that has embraced quite a few publishers. My favorite has to be "Coffee Stain Holding". ☕

Embracery used to be a criminal offense equivalent to jury tampering. An embracer (or embraceor) was someone guilty of embracery.

The System Shock remake is nearly finished, and we got a peek at its completed arsenal

System Shock is now "pretty much complete," in the words of Nightdive's Larry Kuperman, and headed into its final months of polish leading up to a release later this year..."Every level's here, every enemy is in place, every weapon is in place," Kuperman told me in a demo at this year's Game Developers Conference...iIt's playable from start-to-finish and going through QA now

"Bug fixing is that last foray into the depths of hell" before it's truly done, Kuperman said...

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-system-...d-and-we-got-a-peek-at-its-completed-arsenal/

Last edited:
damn how many times they gonna trigger that "trash bin + ricola horn" sound effect?

otherwise, yea, this looks great

Super nit picky comment incoming. I don't like the Shodan voice. It sounds like a voice actress trying to sound menacing rather than me feeling it.

Back