System Shock Remastered Demo Available June 28th

Anyone play it yet? Heard they "modernized" the game by imposing a Halo-esque 2-weapon carry limit and replacing the cyberpunk music.

Insect... you will submit to this and anything else related to System Shock.

EDIT: Played it today and was encouraged by what I saw. To be sure, they've got a lot of work ahead, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:
If they meet their stretch goals, there will be both orchestral soundtracks and remixed versions of the original that you can choose from. I would of course both use and prefer the remixed original soundtrack. I think the orchestral soundtrack is a bad idea for this game. It's subjective, but I think it would ruin the feel.

On the two-weapon thing, I don't think that's a big deal at all, especially the way I saw it implemented in the video. I pretty much only use the Sparq Beam and one other weapon at any given time anyway. (usually the Flechette or Magnum)

So...this seems like an awesome thing, looking fairly good in the demo, but...I REALLY hope "pre-alpha" means they are going to redo virtually all of the textures, because this game already looks super dated and it's not due to come out until late 2017.

Not sure if I want to back or not.

They're walking a fine line between keeping it classic, and modernizing. I think the textures look absolutely perfect. Maybe they could increase the resolution, but if you're looking for them to change the aesthetic, I REALLY REALLY hope they don't AT ALL. Right now they've kept the feel of the original PERFECTLY, while still changing things for the better. Some of the cryo equipment in the starting area makes perfect sense after wondering for years what some of the old textures might actually look like in a more detailed game. I play the original pretty much on a yearly basis, and still wonder what some objects in the game are. The way they're bringing some of the station's panels to life with this is absolutely amazing to me. Also, the lighting is looking nice. I like that they're staying somewhat cartoony with it, while pushing that aesthetic into nearly realistic territory. These games always had their own style, and this appears to be keeping with the tradition. I'm definitely backing it. I'll be picking up a decent level tier next week. This is something I never thought I'd see, not to mention SS3 on the distant horizon. This/these studios are also known for having a passion for restoring old games for modern use. I fully trust them with the franchise. I can tell that they do it because they love it.

They're walking a fine line between keeping it classic, and modernizing. I think the textures look absolutely perfect. Maybe they could increase the resolution, but if you're looking for them to change the aesthetic, I REALLY REALLY hope they don't AT ALL.

No, I'm with you, the aesthetic looks good...just the texture quality is SO low for most of the environment, it's extremely noticeable. If they clean that up significantly I'll be happy. I just can't tell if they are doing it on purpose or if it's just because it's pre-alpha.

No, I'm with you, the aesthetic looks good...just the texture quality is SO low for most of the environment, it's extremely noticeable. If they clean that up significantly I'll be happy. I just can't tell if they are doing it on purpose or if it's just because it's pre-alpha.

They've stated that the look is intentional.

Hm...okay.

I think I'm going to wait to see how many stretch goals get unlocked. Currently it looks like they need about double the minimum funding for a "full" experience.

Ah, ok. Got it. I haven't actually grabbed the pre-alpha yet. I have a feeling that they will keep the style of the textures, but maybe they'll up the resolution in the complete game. I'm hoping to grab the demo tonight. I'd like to see what they look like. From the videos I've seen I can't complain so far. Then again, I'd happily take this either way. The one thing I'm fairly impressed with is the geometry. Not that it's any major step forward for the industry, but the way they're bringing things that were once low res palettized "textures" into actual objects is very cool to me. Especially with SS1. You could click on any tile in the whole game, and it would tell you what it was. Now you can see what it is.

Man, they might actually make their goal. I checked it a couple of days ago and it seems like it was about $100,000 less than it is right now. Still 28 days left to go. I know a lot of people want to see this happen.

It's been a bit slower than I would like considering I'd really like to see most of those stretch goals reached.

It's been a bit slower than I would like considering I'd really like to see most of those stretch goals reached.

Oh, for sure, those look sweet. I'm hopeful that if they can get the >$900K needed to release the game though, that some of those other features could be added later with additional time and/or revenue.

Yeah, they're getting there already, and still a month to go. I'll be backing shortly, and I know a few other people that will as well. Just waiting until I get paid.

I was enjoying the demo for a while until it crashed on me. I'll have to try it more since it really provided me with a good experience. In the original, is there a deep story?

REALLY excited about this! There's supposed to be a demo update coming this week!

CrimsonKnight13, yes there is, and at the time (1994), a really innovative one too. Most of figuring out what you need to do is by E-Mails, Messages, and Audio Logs you pick up, but overall it tells quite a fantastic story (IMO). Let me put it this way - I've played a lot of games, but it is one of the most memorable to me still and has one of the most memorable characters in gaming history.

Is it bad to be interested in remasters of (very) old titles whose original versions you have never played before?

Nope not at all - it would be amazing if a whole new audience discovered the brilliance of System Shock. =) But you don't have to wait if you don't want to either - last year, this same developer (Nightdive Studios) released both System Shock Enhanced Edition and System Shock 2 on Steam (I think maybe GOG as well). Granted, this is a 1994 game, so it does look very dated (though they did upres it a bit), and the interface is complex enough to be simlike, but still well worth the playthrough and has tons of things you're hardpressed to find in many games of today (minigames, hacking, ability upgrades, different ammo types, even the ability to lean and different levels of crouch). And if you don't like vintage games or can't get into them because of dated graphics/controls, this new remastered version should be awesome. At least the Pre-Alpha captures the feel of the original, while modernizing it, in almost an eerie way! For me, it was uncanny.

If this is popular...System Shock 2 Remaster, perhaps?

i would be all for this assuming they don't screw up the game play at all. SS2 is my favorite game of all time. Least there are some mods already for SS2 that bring it a bit out of the 2000s

Demo crashes on me after about 20 min or less, but there is an update to come this week so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm really hoping that they hit the 1.3 million Kickstarter stretch goal (one of several), simply because I'd LOVE to see a larger, expanded Citadel Station with more crew members and e-mail/logs.

I've had a crash as well, but I'm not too annoyed by that since it's pre-alpha and I figure it's to be expected (it's still more polished than any pre-alpha I've played before.) You and me both re the expanded station - I think 900K will be easy; I just hope it continues rising after that. Hopefully it'll get there, but if not, maybe they can do a model similar to what Descent: Underground and other titles have done and continue to sell addon copies or merchandise to raise a bit more funds.

Just backed this. I haven't had a chance to play the demo yet though. Hopefully today...

Just backed as well. The demo is very, very promising IMO. Unfortunately I have yet to play the original so I'm wondering if now is the time (I think it would be neat to recognize areas from the original game and see the improvement in quality, plus I'm worried that playing the newer one first will reduce any incentive to play the first one).

I can say that based on the demo, they'd be crazy not to do a SS2 Remaster. That game along with Deus Ex and Thief truly deserve modern remasters along the lines of this game, Half Life: Black Mesa, etc. Not just sequels and mods to improve the originals.

imyourzero, I plan to play the original - I played it years ago, but not since. Nightdive also released the Enhanced Edition (can be had cheaply via Steam or GOG) last year (playable on modern PC's with enhancements like mouselook and higher res graphic options than it originally had). It's a fantastic game. The interface takes some getting used to, for sure, but after the learning curve, IMO it's totally worth it. I agree it'll be neat to see the differences, which is why I want a fresh playthrough before it comes out.

I wouldn't mind seeing a System Shock 2 and Deus Ex remaster if this succeeds, either!

Yeah, I've seen the Enhanced Edition around...probably should have picked that up during the summer Steam sale but I'll try to catch it again soon. I have no idea how or why I didn't play it after it came out in 1994 because I played most of the popular titles of the 90s and don't even remember System Shock being on my radar until SS2, which blew me away (and terrified me!).

I watched a YouTube video about this a while back (can't remember where exactly.)

Unfortunately, the original game *wasn't* particularly well known and didn't sell well - it was a loss for Origin at the time, despite how groundbreaking it was. They also made a fairly severe marketing mistake. The initial version was on floppy disk and had no voice acting at all (at least in the main game...not sure about the opening cutscene), so the first people who bought it didn't get SHODAN's creepy voice or the other audio logs. Months later, the Enhanced CD version came out with the voicework, but the developers really regretted not just doing away with the floppy version and releasing the CD version as the only one. It gained cult status over the years via word of mouth for the incredible story/gameplay and all the firsts it achieved.

Also, System Shock 2 (which was Game of the Year in several publications but still didn't do well financially) ended up the more popular of the two over the years and got a lot of people interested in the first game. Heck, it's still modded quite a bit.

Assuming Nightdive is successful, this may introduce a whole new audience to the franchise as it'll be a "new" game and also playable on a console for the first time.

Nightdive Studios’ System Shock remake has now been fully funded on Kickstarter...they now have $922,147 of the 900K they were looking for and there’s still 18 says to go...

Yup, lots of stretch goals tho' (including some hidden ones), so here's hoping we can meet them!

Yup, lots of stretch goals tho' (including some hidden ones), so here's hoping we can meet them!

As long as it hits 1.4m I'll be happy. 1.5 and 1.9 would be really nice, but 1.4 seems to the point where the game is where they really want it to be.

Damn I'm so happy they hit their goal. I'm generally skeptical about kickstarters but I'm fully on board with this one.

Agreed with 1.4. I'd LOVE to see that remix at 1.9, and I'm very curious what the hidden goals will be. They still haven't gotten a system in place to do PayPal, still could announce for PS4 (they're talking to Sony), and there's nothing saying they can't still sell copies/addons/etc. after the campaign ends, plus there's still quite a bit of time left in the KS campaign to get press, etc., so I'm hopeful quite a few can be hit.

Yeah...I might have been skeptical if it wasn't for the demo - I'm impressed as hell they had one at all, and the fact that it's great gives me confidence that it's not like some other recent fiascos where the mockups look great and then the actual play/graphics/mechanics are underwhelming, etc.

I'm so ready for this game!

I don't see it hitting 1.4 at this point, but I guess it could happen.

I guess the last two days can get pretty crazy and raise almost as much as the start of a campaign sometimes, so I'm still hopeful.

It's approaching the last few days of the KickStarter (it's funded, but there are some really cool stretch goals yet to be reached), so if you haven't already, try out the demo and if you like it, back if you can! =)

Agreed! If you haven't backed yet, please do. These guys have a proven track record for bringing games back from the dead, and have been a great service to the PC gaming community. They definitely deserve the money, and for this particular game especially. I'd really like to see it hit 1.9 mil for the remixed original soundtrack.

Thanks for the reminder- I forgot about this since the alpha test crashes on me at the top of the ramp every single time... But it's worth the price of a cheap dinner out to back this!

Back