System Shock 2 now on Steam

sale?...the game is $6.99!...geez!...you want it for $1.99?
wow you did not pay attention to what I was saying at all. I said I was a little reluctant to get it from Steam so I might wait until its on sale at gog instead.

wow you did not pay attention to what I was saying at all. I said I was a little reluctant to get it from Steam so I might wait until its on sale at gog instead.

I highly doubt the Steam version is 'botched' like that article claims...and again so $9.99 at GOG is too much now?...everyone's waiting for a sale these days...charge $5 and people want it for $2

I highly doubt the Steam version is 'botched' like that article claims...and again so $9.99 at GOG is too much now?...everyone's waiting for a sale these days...charge $5 and people want it for $2
guy, I have probably 30 games in my backlog so there is no reason for me to get this at $9.99 right now. that's the case for many people as dozens of games that we might not get to will add up in price. and again I am holding out for a little while to see what the verdict is on Steam because I want to use mods without any issue.

and hell I cant even get rid of FC 3 Blood Dragon for $7 or Bioshock Infinite for $20 and those are newly released and well liked games too.

guy, I have probably 30 games in backlog so there is no reason for me to get this at 9.99 right now. and again I am holding out for a little while to see what the verdict is on Steam because I want to use mods without any issue.

and hell I cant even get rid of FC 3 Blood Dragon for $7 or Bioshock Infinite for $20 and those are newly released and well like games too.

that's a legit reason for you...so why not just say that from the start instead of making it seem like you are waiting because of some phantom Steam issue with SS2 or some sale price?...so many people here just like to post for the sake of posting

that's a legit reason for you...so why not just say that from the start instead of making it seem like you are waiting because of some phantom Steam issue with SS2 or some sale price?...so many people here just like to post to be heard
because I did not know that I had to explain everything in detail. I thought me saying I was not quite sure about the Steam version was good enough. I tried to make it clear that would wait for it to be on sale at gog if there is any doubt the Steam version will have issues with mods.

I wouldn't have a problem paying $7 for this, but not if there's potential issues. Prefer to get the game on Steam, too.

There is no issues with Steam version its patched to latest version 2.42 and all mods works 100% i don't see where is the problem

This is on Windows 7 64Bit.

Okay, went ahead and bought it. What do I need to make the game look and play better? I think there was already a thread about this but it's buried somewhere...

SS2Tool? SHTUP or whatever?

There is no issues with Steam version its patched to latest version 2.42 and all mods works 100% i don't see where is the problem

This is on Windows 7 64Bit.

thanks for the confirmation...that's what I expected...there's always a few people that have issues with every game...they post and claim it's the game's fault when in reality they either have a pirated version or have an issue with their system

Yeeah....so I got the Steam version, put some mods in the DataPermMods folder (it looks like SS2Tool is already installed like that guy said on the Steam discussion), try to start a new game and...crashes instantly. :confused:

EDIT: Turning off Audio Acceleration seemed to fix that...however I am getting massive stutter/framerate drops in the starting area. Wtf...

I'm starting to think we're gonna have to wait for an actual working version of SS2Tool to come out, or for the Steam version to remove the hack-job version they installed. I think that guy in the discussion was right...seems broken.

Last edited:
Yeeah....so I got the Steam version, put some mods in the DataPermMods folder (it looks like SS2Tool is already installed like that guy said on the Steam discussion), try to start a new game and...crashes instantly. :confused:

EDIT: Turning off Audio Acceleration seemed to fix that...however I am getting massive stutter/framerate drops in the starting area. Wtf...

I'm starting to think we're gonna have to wait for an actual working version of SS2Tool to come out, or for the Steam version to remove the hack-job version they installed. I think that guy in the discussion was right...seems broken.

try playing around with some of the mods using the Mod Manager...

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039625276&postcount=114

Says Mod Manager is obsolete now. I wonder if I should install SS2Tool over the borked Steam version?

Says Mod Manager is obsolete now. I wonder if I should install SS2Tool over the borked Steam version?

I'm embarrassed that my post was copied lol.. Two posts later I wrote the below, I should have taken out the outdated info... Anyway the below worked 100% for me and makes the game beautiful to boot. One extra step I took was to use my mouse software to get the x/y sensitive calibrated... The game in widescreen throws it off.
this seems most up to date resource:http://www.gog.com/forum/system_sho...1?pp=708a77db476d737e54b8bf4663fc79b346d696d2

^^ Confirmed. I followed all that nonsense to the letter, from load order, to the SS2Tool 5.0, didn't use mod manager, now all the newdark cam_ext.cfg tweaks work without crashing the game.

Last edited:
I remember playing this back in 99. First proper 3d game to truly make me shit bricks playing at night, besides Doom 1 & 2 which had its terrifying moments such as pixelated pink imps chasing you in corridors.

Okay, so here's what I did with the Steam version:

1) Installed game through Steam normally
2) Installed SS2Tool 5.1 over the Steam install (I de-selected Update to 2.3 since I think 2.4 is already installed, and I selected "Multiplayer" because I think that's necessary for it to work)
3) Copied all mods to the DataPermMods folder as instructed (I started with some of the basic mods (SHTUP, SHMUP, Four Hundred, etc.), made sure it worked, and then installed the rest (Rebirth, ADaoB, Vurt's mods). Seems to be fine at this point.
4) Started playing. Audio seems to be fine leaving it on OpenAL with hardware acceleration. Seems to have full 5.1 support, but I think that only happened after I installed SS2Tool over the Steam copy. Also, the stuttering/lag I was getting before seems to have gone away with installing the SS2Tool (or maybe ADaoB?) as well.

Make sure to load the "Standard FPS" control set.

Seems good so far! I wish the models were higher poly but the HD textures are real nice considering the game's age.

Just use the New Dark Patch.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140085

No need for DDFix.

Okay, thanks. SS2Tool actually installs that by default, apparently, so I should be good.

is SS2Tool even necessary?...isn't the Steam/GOG version already patched/updated to the latest version?...the only mod I'm really interested in installing is the SHTUP mod

I'm not totally sure, but I don't think the Steam version of SS2Tool has New Dark and some of the other tweaks. I know with just the Steam version and nothing else I was getting massive lag and stutter.

I'm not totally sure, but I don't think the Steam version of SS2Tool has New Dark and some of the other tweaks. I know with just the Steam version and nothing else I was getting massive lag and stutter.
it has new dark 2.42 which is the newest. supposedly there was an issue with the ss2tool though and that is being debated right now.

it has new dark 2.42 which is the newest. supposedly there was an issue with the ss2tool though and that is being debated right now.

I think ps2 3dfx got a free review copy so updates to SS2Tool might come.

Hopefully this release will prompt someone to finish or update some of the other mods - like the HD texture packs and models.

Something like Kentie's mods for Unreal Engine based games would be nice too. DX11 support in SS2 - yes please.

I'm not really sure how to explain the boost in performance/smoothness I got, not to mention the sound actually working properly after I ran SS2Tool, though. Not saying you are wrong, but...it did something.

I think ps2 3dfx got a free review copy so updates to SS2Tool might come.

Hopefully this release will prompt someone to finish or update some of the other mods - like the HD texture packs and models.

Something like Kentie's mods for Unreal Engine based games would be nice too. DX11 support in SS2 - yes please.

I'd just love to see some higher-poly models. The textures are nice enough as it is, but some of the character models are just super low-poly.

Honestly they just need to remake the entire game in CryEngine 3 and call it good. :D

I'd just love to see some higher-poly models. The textures are nice enough as it is, but some of the character models are just super low-poly.

Honestly they just need to remake the entire game in CryEngine 3 and call it good. :D

No doubt!

So is the main draw here nostalgia or is this 1999 game something worth spending 2013 time on?

As long as you can get over the dated graphics (which aren't too bad with the New Dark patch and good AA/AF settings) it's definitely worth spending your time on. :) The gameplay still holds up perfectly well and there's really nothing that reminds you that it's so old.

If you think you would like a sci-fi FPS survival horror with a cool story and setting, you should like this.

So is the main draw here nostalgia or is this 1999 game something worth spending 2013 time on?

Depends on what type of games you like.

If you like games like Deus Ex (first one from 2000), then buy this. On the other hand, if you prefer more modern games like CoD, you might not like this.

At $7 its not a big risk though.

One of my favourite games of all time - have played it through at least 3 times and it still scares the living crap out of me.

Scarce ammo, weapons breaking, running out of med hypos and there's hybrids lurking round every damn corner waiting to crack you in the face with a pipe. Goddamn I'm gonna play through it again.

"Thank you for choosing ValueWrap"

If you like games like Deus Ex (first one from 2000), then buy this. On the other hand, if you prefer more modern games like CoD, you might not like this.

more modern....

This comment makes me sad.
More "modern" games have less to do and get boring quickly, faster. Case in point, your example, a very one dimensional game that lasts, what, 4-5 hours? WTF has happened to gaming?.........

DPI-
SS2 is so deep its shits on all "modern" shooters that have been released in that last generation. From a great height. There is a reason people fought so hard, 14 years after the fact, to bring this game back to the masses. Not to mention the laborious updating to the entire engine and bugs that some anonymous person did on their own before these new guys came and published it on gog and steam.

COD is mindless, one dimensional and unsatisfying (4-5hr single player, with ho hum endings). SS2 is multifaceted with customization and is more like Skyrim in that aspect. The shooting comes from their experience with the old SWAT games, so it's very solid.

If all you are used to is "modern" shooters, then I don't see a BETTER reason to play System Shock 2, in 2013.

Depends on what type of games you like.

Well I am a fan of Ken Levine since BioShock, played DeusEx:HR but not original, and I'm over the age of 12 and dont suck mountain dew so anything past COD4 doesn't appeal to me.

Sounds like I need to get cracking on SS2

Well I am a fan of Ken Levine since BioShock, played DeusEx:HR but not original, and I'm over the age of 12 and dont suck mountain dew so anything past COD4 doesn't appeal to me.

Sounds like I need to get cracking on SS2

I should have quoted you, my reply was actually directed at you.
But, yes. Yes you do.

more modern....

This comment makes me sad.
More "modern" games have less to do and get boring quickly, faster. Case in point, your example, a very one dimensional game that lasts, what, 4-5 hours? WTF has happened to gaming?.........

DPI-
SS2 is so deep its shits on all "modern" shooters that have been released in that last generation. From a great height. There is a reason people fought so hard, 14 years after the fact, to bring this game back to the masses. Not to mention the laborious updating to the entire engine and bugs that some anonymous person did on their own before these new guys came and published it on gog and steam.

COD is mindless, one dimensional and unsatisfying (4-5hr single player, with ho hum endings). SS2 is multifaceted with customization and is more like Skyrim in that aspect. The shooting comes from their experience with the old SWAT games, so it's very solid.

If all you are used to is "modern" shooters, then I don't see a BETTER reason to play System Shock 2, in 2013.
this^

2) Installed SS2Tool 5.1 over the Steam install (I de-selected Update to 2.3 since I think 2.4 is already installed, and I selected "Multiplayer" because I think that's necessary for it to work)
be good.

I havn't installed the game yet but am wondering what 'deselected upate to 2.3' means...if you deselect it doesn't it mean you aren't installing SS2Tool at all?...plus if a newer version is included in the Steam install then what difference will installing an older version make?...isn't it the same as installing an older version of DirectX over a newer one?

I havn't installed the game yet but am wondering what 'deselected upate to 2.3' means...if you deselect it doesn't it mean you aren't installing SS2Tool at all?...plus if a newer version is included in the Steam install then what difference will installing an older version make?...isn't it the same as installing an older version of DirectX over a newer one?

Well, supposedly the Steam version of the game has 2.42 already installed, and SS2Tool wants to install 2.3. So I figured doing so would be like installing an old version over a newer one, so I de-selected that option. Might have been wrong but it seems like it works fine the way I did it. *shrug*

Several years back around 2006 FrozenLiquidity was kind enough to hook me up with this game - it was going for something stupid like $100 on ebay. Fantastic game I missed the first time around. The mods made it look passable if square and the storyline really is fun. The twist in the middle I didn't see coming really. Had a lot of fun with it - certainly one of my favorite games.

FYI I just bought it on Steam so now I have a legit copy!

Okay, so how does hacking actually work in this game? I did the tutorial but all it seemed like was clicking randomly on non-red buttons until eventually three in a row lit up. Is it all entirely random or is there some strategy to it?

Okay, so how does hacking actually work in this game? I did the tutorial but all it seemed like was clicking randomly on non-red buttons until eventually three in a row lit up. Is it all entirely random or is there some strategy to it?

from what i can tell, there is 0 strategy in it (which is indeed a disappointment as compared to the hacking in DX:HR). It's all stat-based. Get higher hacking, and there's a lesser chance to spawn the red nodes which will destroy the terminal if you get it wrong, etc.

Okay...I kinda figured as much, since there was really no information about it anywhere online, but yeah that is a little disappointing. You can sit there wasting a lot of nanites hoping to get it when in reality you have no chance.

I've never purchased something on steam so fast. I'm pumped to play again with the gfx mods.

Back