System Shock 1 Remastered Pre-Alpha Gameplay

somehow I've never played System Shock. I'd buy this for sure.

Oh man -- as someone with fond memories of System Shock, this looks awesome. Unity engine is looking good.

I'd happily plop down 40 or so dollars for this.

I was a sceptic before, but this actually looks much better than I anticipated, while still being true to the look of the original. I'm officially sold on this remake

looks good, but this seems more like a remake than a remaster, it is on a totally new engine with new art, animations, only thing same would be the story right?

looks good, but this seems more like a remake than a remaster, it is on a totally new engine with new art, animations, only thing same would be the story right?
You expected that it would use the engine developed in 1993 for MS-DOS?

Never played System Shock 1. Played System Shock 2 but I did not beat it. I think I had to do a reinstall of my OS while playing it and just never loaded it back on. SS2 was fun, at least the part that I played, very tense game.
I would be interested in this.

OMG!... i loved SS2... never got to play SS1. Soo looking forward to playing this!

I never played (or heard of) the system shock series originally. By the time I didi felt it was too outdated for a play through.

This might be an excellent opportunity to get into a missed series that lots of people seem to have really liked.

I never played (or heard of) the system shock series originally. By the time I didi felt it was too outdated for a play through.
If you want to try a slightly more modern version of ss2, there is an unofficial update (dx9 multimonitor etc). As well as a few weapon/texture packs for download

I looooooved System Shock 1... more than SS2 (I know, crazy huh?)

This looks as close to the original as possible, and what most fans want from a "remaster", not changing much of anything except better texture/lighting/models (even though architecturally the ship looks identical).... very well done, can't wait to play it!!!

Sure has the look and feel of Doom. That's a great thing. I like the slower and methodical game play. Not a bunch of running around.

I will buy one of these for each of my friends, and my kids. I want it yesterday! This looks so fucking good. I play SS1 once every couple of years, and I want this to be my next play-through. They are doing some excellent work.

I never actually played the first System Shock, but this looks pretty good. I may pick it up if the reviews are favourable.

I never actually played the first System Shock, but this looks pretty good. I may pick it up if the reviews are favourable.

Provided it is what it looks like, you have nothing to worry about. It looks like a perfect copy with modern engine. IMO the original is actually better than SS2 in a lot of ways. I think this would be a good way to experience it for the first time.

played system shock 2 once solo, had a blast and 10 years later played it again co-op which was even better.

can't wait for SS1 remastered as I never played it. will buy ss1 and ss3 when they come out for sure. I hope co-op is an option.

Nice! I missed the boat on System Shock back in the day, and I'm not one that can completely ignore graphics that far back. Definitely will jump on this one.

I have tried the original briefly, it was pretty cool.
I'm excited to see the update.
I'd play it for sure in the updated version.

Glad it is coming out for xbone as well so I can experience it in its natural environment. Last thing I would want would be a watered down version.

trolling aside, I am looking forward to this. I too never got a chance to play the series as by the time it caught my attention it was a bit too dated. Remember when it came out, it looked neat but being of such limited budget I didn't try it. Never would have thought it would have become such a cult classic in games.

System Shock 3 is from Night Dive Studios and OtherSide Entertainment. Also, it sounds like they've got some of the original teams plus Warren Spector (in a design/consulting capacity) on the project. It should end up being very good, if nothing catastrophic happens.

I looooooved System Shock 1... more than SS2 (I know, crazy huh?)

This looks as close to the original as possible, and what most fans want from a "remaster", not changing much of anything except better texture/lighting/models (even though architecturally the ship looks identical).... very well done, can't wait to play it!!!

Played both extensively, but SS1 was the real ground-breaker, and the music flowed more seamlessly, creating a constant sense of "low-to-medium" tension, even when I was heavily geared up (Skorpion FTW on highest difficulty).

2's controls, and to some extent, graphics were considerably better (most polygonal GFX from the 90s still looks worse, aesthetically, than a lot of hand-drawn bitmaps from the same era, IMO). Storyline had some nice twists, but was not as effective as SS1's.

Reactions: Youn
like this
Well the original dialogue is still there, as is the original level design. You can call it a remake if you want, but it's changing less than almost any remake I've heard of. I think remaster is fair enough.

Well the original dialogue is still there, as is the original level design. You can call it a remake if you want, but it's changing less than almost any remake I've heard of. I think remaster is fair enough.

I don't think the distinction matters that much with this. It's obviously going to get a complete overhaul of the control system, new art assets (visually,) etc. They used the original dialogue for this video, and I would assume for the final, but this is pretty early I think. It could qualify as either remake/remaster really. I also lean toward remaster though. Heavily remastered? :D

Like many others, I played SS2 but never SS1. I switched over from Amiga gaming to PC right around the time SS2 came out. Still one of the best I've ever played. I would love to see how it all began.

One side-note that comes to mind: In Fred Saberhagen's Berserker stories, one of the creepy details he mentions about the AI killers is that they speak to humans using recorded bits of conversations from past encounters with humans. Their jumbled, sing-songy vocal patterns would be ridiculous if not for the extreme deadliness/remorselessness of the entity doing the talking. I think the way SHODAN speaks reminds me of that idea.

Like many others, I played SS2 but never SS1. I switched over from Amiga gaming to PC right around the time SS2 came out. Still one of the best I've ever played. I would love to see how it all began.

One side-note that comes to mind: In Fred Saberhagen's Berserker stories, one of the creepy details he mentions about the AI killers is that they speak to humans using recorded bits of conversations from past encounters with humans. Their jumbled, sing-songy vocal patterns would be ridiculous if not for the extreme deadliness/remorselessness of the entity doing the talking. I think the way SHODAN speaks reminds me of that idea.

:D I still had my Amiga(s) sitting next to the PC that I originally played SS1 on.

Interested for sure, but the lighting looks terrible to me.

I don't agree. I think the lighting looks good, but there is an abrupt quality to some of it. I'd have to do some comparison, but I'm wondering if they're preserving some of that from the original. There were definitely areas where you'd need this to be pretty similar in a faithful remake/remaster. As far as just the lights and surfaces themselves, I think it looks pretty nice.

I don't agree. I think the lighting looks good, but there is an abrupt quality to some of it. I'd have to do some comparison, but I'm wondering if they're preserving some of that from the original. There were definitely areas where you'd need this to be pretty similar in a faithful remake/remaster. As far as just the lights and surfaces themselves, I think it looks pretty nice.

Everything looks cartoonish. This whole room is blue. This whole room is orange. I played SS2, not SS1 so maybe thats how it is supposed to look.

Everything looks cartoonish. This whole room is blue. This whole room is orange. I played SS2, not SS1 so maybe thats how it is supposed to look.

That is exactly how it is supposed to look. There are different surfaces on each deck type. Marble/Granite for the executive level, that blue tile on Medical, etc. etc. The orange room looks like some type of gold foil. Not sure if that's what the original was going for, but those rooms typically housed radioactive material. It looks spot on to me. Each level had a very distinct look to it. There are different types of areas within each deck too. I would agree that it has a slightly cartoonish look to it, but then the original did too. SS2 was a bit as well. Not quite as much, but it definitely wasn't going for 100% realism. There were other games that came out when SS2 did that nailed a realistic look given the period's technology in 1999. It still didn't seem like that was what LGS/Irrational were going for. Not full-on cartoon, but not 100% real either.

I don't know that a real space station would look like Citadel Station, but as far as playing a game goes, it's nice to have distinctly different environments like that, while still maintaining some degree of consistency.

Not saying everyone's tastes should conform to what's on offer here, but as far as modernizing the original, it couldn't be much better.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Berserker stories are classics :)

Back