System locks up....with KVM

mrmagoo_83

2[H]4U
Not sure if this goes here or in the hardware forum, if it needs to go there please move.

I am using the second system in my sig as a file server (basiclly), it also tends to run Kazaa, or eMule.

Anyway, thats besides the point. I am having problems with the system locking up, or having a memory dump. It will run fine for hours, then I will try to acces it via my KVM, and its a no go. Now I can still access the drive on it that I have mapped from my other system, just not directly.

Can anyone suggest anything for me to do? I am thinking of adding more memory, but from what I understand its a waste on that motherboard, it can't use it or something correctly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

eenie meenie minie mo > networking :p

probably by far have the most KVM experience to draw from ;)
good luck

its a cheap KVM don't even remember the name. Its not the KVM, I have tried it with direct keyboard action.

I think it might be the fact that the PSU fan quit :)

I just saw this when I tore it apart, so I just stuck in my 300 watter.

Still gonna format, should I still use 2000 Pro, or use XP PRO?

Matter of personal taste.

Performance speaking, you won't see a difference.

Ok, going with XP.

What if I went to 2003 Server?

Anyway, I will let y'all know if my problems were caused by the PSU fan going out. It was only a 200 watt PSU, maybe this 300 watter will help too.

I also am having an issue with some ram. I did have 512 MB in it, so I grabbed a stick from a buddies system and stuck in it, but both stick I try only show up as 128MB....SO no clue. Oh well 600 something MB should be enough.

Back