System freezes, then SSD is missing

echter

n00b
Last week I added a 250gb Crucial BX100 SSD -- used only for the Win 7 pagefile, photoshop scratch disk and some music. Everything was fine for over a week, then last night the system froze, requiring a hard restart. Restarting took about 2-3 mins longer than usual with 2 separate delay points. Afterward there was a message that Windows had created a new pagefile (8gb on the C drive). Now the SSD doesn't show up in Win Explorer or Disk Management. One of the boot delays is when it's going through the SATA ports - after which is says "Port-01: Hard Disk, Device verify failed."

achi and trim are enabled. Although it's possible the pagefile was being used, the system was not stressed at the time this happened, and for now the SSD is still outside the case waiting for a bracket, so it was not overheated. Any idea what happened or how to fix it?

Can you try connecting it to another port? Or maybe a USB enclosure?

Try updating the firmware on the drive?
There is a new firmware update dated 4/14/2015
ver. MU02 for the BX100 series

Version MU02 includes the following changes:

• Improved Device Sleep and Slumber transitions.
  • Corrected SMART attribute threshold values.
  • Improved general reliability and stability.

Crucial SSD Firmware Updates

First step would be swap cables (both SATA and power) and ports. I'd disconnect all other drives as well and see if the drive is being detected in bios at least.

What motherboard is this on? Could it be a P67 or H67 B2 stepping motherboard with the decaying SATA problem?

Well that was easy. I switched the cable to another port, restarted, and everything seems fine. Volume label and all data is there and it's working normally.

So what should I make of this? Bad port/connection? If so, why did it work perfectly for a week? The case wasn't moved or anything that would cause physical damage, the system just froze. Does this rule out any issue with the SSD itself?

Motherboard is a Gigabyte P35-DS3L

Alright! The SSD seems good, or I was going to have a twinge regret for recommending it to you in the previous thread!

Googling for the error shows a few older Gigabyte mobos with these symptoms. Sometimes it was the drive, sometimes the mobo. I think we can safely say your motherboard is just aging.... I wouldn't use that port any more, ever :)

Well I think it was probably a good recommendation, from everything else I've read, people have had good results from the BX100s. I'm glad it's not the drive causing it. Hopefully this port will be reliable like the other 2 with hard drives. It's been a great mobo -- except that I've been getting high CPU temps, so I'll probably have to reinstall the heatsink with new paste.

Quite the coincidence, I have the same motherboard and the MX100. Had issues with infrequent BSOD and then it would say the drive was missing. Switched from SATA port 4 to another port and it worked great for months. Then happened again. Turned out it was a bad cable.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I guess it's possible that moving it flexed the cable enough to reenable the connection somehow. That's better than ports going bad. I didn't get the BSOD though.

Back