System Freeze and Clicking noises.

PCMonkey

Weaksauce
Recently my system has acquired a problem.

Symptoms: The computer freezes or a game crashes. I here a click within my system and then about 1-2 seconds mater i here a click that sound a little bit differnt (like yo uwould here opening and closing a breaker panel switch). Then after a little bit of this it started rebooting conitinuously (almost liek a cold boot with a the power button) after POST and then each tiem with would reboot i would here the clicking sound.

I was thinking because of the rebooting it may be a Power supply issue. I have a radeon 9700 Pro and a 460W PS. I have no molex conenctions left as they are being used for variosu fans cooling my CPU, HDD, GPU, and Case.

It has been running fine for the longest time. My computer was built in 2002. That is only 3 years so i wouldn't think the Hard Drive would be feailing yet would it?

HDD are extremely fragile
pluck a hair off your head :eek:
and take a close look at how thick it is, thats about 70 microns or so
the HDDs read\write head is all of 2 microns off the platter surface

so an inadvertant bump at the wrong time and it can hit the platter
thats called head slap, and like a n00bie golfer it creates divots, ejecting material which it then runs over

imagine traveling at mach 8 in a gocart and running over a bowling ball :rolleyes:

on the other hand, PSUs do go bad, and wattage os a really poor indicator of the capabilities of a given supply, they also decrase in capacity as the temperature increases.

the "click" your probably hearing is the HDD armeture snapping back and forth when it recalibrates, which it will do everytime there is a seek&miss
what is causing that, bad sectors on the drive or power is unknown

run the manufacturers diagnostic on the HDD

what make & model PSU?
whats it running?
whats the room temperature?
is it exhausting the case\CPU heatsink?

The PSU is a Power Magic ATX-465W-PIV. It came with my case which was all of $96

well that sounds like a leading sucpect
I personally wouldnt let it near a rig

Back