sysprep

nomak

Limp Gawd
I am wanting to use sysprep to duplicate my pc once I get all my updates and certain apps installed and create a image file after doing this..I get to the point of doing the sysprep reseal option and creatiing a sysprep.pif file but how do I go about creating the image and getting it somwheres where I can load it onto a cd or dvd so that I can use this to just write the image back to my drive when I need to reformat instead of reinstalling everything one by one spending hours on end.. looking for tutorials from beggining to end as well as any insight on the matter.. I cant find what Im looking for as far as google search goes so hoping some one here has some hands n experience doing this.. thanks,,,

ok is there a easier method that using sysprep that will produce same results ? thanks

djnes said:
It sounds like you want to use Ghost instead.

If your going to deploy to similar machines use Sysprep

If you just want a backup image that you can slap on and have everything done. Just use Ghost or Acronis True Image

Ruffy said:
If your going to deploy to similar machines use Sysprep AND Ghost

If you just want a backup image that you can slap on and have everything done. Just use Ghost or Acronis True Image

Fixed.

Im just wanting to make a backup image of my system with its currnet apps installed so I can just format every 6 months or so and then reapply the image instead of having to reinstall everything and setting all back up like it was before.. wanting to saev time here is all.. and have a readily backup of my current system setup.. you say use norton ghost . If I use this does this keep me from having to go through the mini setup wizard once again and all the activation procedures ? thats my reasoning for wanting to use sysprep cause from what I have read once you sysprep it it clones the system, dosent regenerate new SID's and also prevents from having to accept EULA and activation stuff all over again . hence the mini setup wizard.?? also does anyone no of a good tutorial on doing this procedure with ghost or acronis..... and thanks all for your replies..

With Sysprep you NEED third-party image software such as Ghost. Sysprep cannot create and burn and image for you.

Ghost is an imaging program, meaning if will take an exact snapshot of your drive and save it as a file somewhere else, like a server, DVD, or external HDD. No setup to run, because it just lays down the image. It does exactly what you want.

nomak said:
If I use this does this keep me from having to go through the mini setup wizard once again and all the activation procedures? thats my reasoning for wanting to use sysprep cause from what I have read once you sysprep it it clones the system, dosent regenerate new SID's and also prevents from having to accept EULA and activation stuff all over again . hence the mini setup wizard.??
There are switches in sysprep that determine how you want activation to work.

Technet.

Sysprep+Imaging utility (Ghost, Arconis, etc) FTW.

ok I get the sysprep setup the way I want the next step is to image the sysprep duplication I have made.. this is where I am lost.. Do I install norton ghost and then create the image or whats next.. lost from this point on ( after running sysprep program).. I did use norton ghost version 9 from windows once to create a image but when I went to restore it I kept getting insert this disk now this disk,etc... and never got anythign but three dvd coasters from what I can figure..thanks....

I agree, I've never actually had a reason to have Ghost installed to my hard drive.

so shut down after sysprep and boot up from a boot disk (Floppy or CD) that has the ghost exe file on it and then execute the ghost exe and I should be set from there and follow the on screen instructions.... thanks.,.,. and correct me if Im wrong about what I just posted..lol...

nomak said:
so shut down after sysprep and boot up from a boot disk (Floppy or CD) that has the ghost exe file on it and then execute the ghost exe and I should be set from there and follow the on screen instructions.... thanks.,.,. and correct me if Im wrong about what I just posted..lol...
BINGO. :)

awsome.. thanks all of you for your help... now to test it out when I get the chance again but now I have the basic understanding of doing it....

Back