Sysprep runs slow every other time

Grimmda

2[H]4U
This thread is for a seperate issue discussed in this thread:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=957775&page=2

I've done some google searching and found very little (except for the same threads over and over again) as found in this thread:
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-631991.php

I've performed the google search using:
sysprep fast slow "every other time"

I also know of a guy who's got a few years experience with Sysprep and he said the same thing about sysprep's performance.

The problem is when Sysprep is run the first time it takes a few mins (1-3 Min) and you'll
reboot and build a new image on that one and then it will take 20-40 Min depending on the system speed the next time you run sysprep.
Then you'll reboot and run sysprep on the same machine and it'll be back to 1-3 Min to run. SO on and so forth.

Here is the command I use to run Sysprep with:
sysprep.exe -activated -mini -forceshutdown -reseal

I just wanted to break this issue out into it's own thread as Ranma_Sao made an attempt to help resolve yet stated he's sysprep'ed
the same image over and over with no time differences. I would just like it to be quick!

Here's a copy and paste of my sysprep.inf:

;SetupMgrTag
[Unattended]
OemPnPDriversPath=sysprep\Audio\ADISoundmax;sysprep\Audio\ESSAllegro;sysprep\M
ediaCardReader\HPMediaCardReader;sysprep\Modem\AgereSoftModemForICH6Chipset;s
ysprep\Network\Broadcom;sysprep\Video\Intel915GM;sysprep\WLAN\IntelProWireless
InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386
OemSkipEula=Yes
TargetPath=\Winnt
UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword="mypasswordhere"
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
AutoLogon=Yes
AutoLogonCount=1
OEMSkipRegional=1
OEMDuplicatorstring=Q305RT
TimeZone=20
OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
ProductKey=my-reg-code-here
FullName="my company name"
OrgName="my company name"
ComputerName=*

[Display]
BitsPerPel=32
Xresolution=1024
YResolution=768

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=1
Dialing=Tone
AreaCode=515
LongDistanceAccess="9"

[SetupMgr]
DistFolder=C:\sysprep\
DistShare=whistlerdist

[GuiRunOnce]

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=myworkgroup

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[SysPrep]
BuildMassStorageSection=Yes

[SysprepMassStorage]

I'll provide any further information I can to help resolve the issue (or get an offical reason for why it's that way).

Yeppers, I'm having similar issue as reported in the earlier thread. I'll post any info as needed for testing.

Bump for any Microsoft folks that happen by and might know why this happens because... well it sucks!

I'm having this same issue...on top of the fact I need to figure out how to add the Intel chipset drivers, because none of my images are booting all the way into XP.

I haven't forgotten. I just don't own sysprep anymore, so it will take me some time.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wow this thread fell 7 pages back.

I've got new info to spice it up though, it's somewhat of a workaround but it is almost a better method than if sysprep would be fast every time you ran it.

I talked to the "Guru" I know today who taught me the basics of Sysprep and Ghost. This guy was using one image for all desktops and laptops back before XP even came out (on Windows 2000).

I finally just caught up to his knowledge point of where he was about a year ago but now he's even further with this stuff. Listen to this:

Take a PC, set it up however you want software wise. Copy your sysprep over to c:\sysprep like normal. Have your OemPnPDriversPath= look something like this (do it by hardware vendor or you'll regret it:

OemPnPDriversPath=sysprep\Audio\ADISoundmax;sysprep\Audio\ESSAllegro;sysprep\M
ediaCardReader\HPMediaCardReader;sysprep\Modem\AgereSoftModemForICH6Chipset;s
ysprep\Network\Broadcom;sysprep\Video\Intel915GM;sysprep\WLAN\IntelProWireless

Then run your sysprep.exe like you normally would:
(He and I both use sysprep.exe -activated -mini -forceshutdown -reseal)

Let sysprep do it's thing and once it completes (whether it was a fast one or a slow one) use Ghost or some other image tool to grab that as your "gold image".

Here's the trick to avoid ever doing any of this again to add or tweak hardware drivers:

Use "Barts Disk" on CD.

So lets say you have a new piece of hardware that you need to add to your environment, just drop your image down (but don't let it boot to the disk) onto any PC and stick Barts Disk in and let it boot up to that. Use the utility on that disk to go into your sysprep.inf file and modify your OEMDriversPath= statement to facilitate the new drivers you need to add. Then go into \sysprep\whateverdriversyouadd folder and complete the file transfer to the disk of this box. When your done shut the PC off and use Ghost (or whatever app) to re-grab that as your new image. WHen you take that new image and drop it down on your new hardware it'll come up and load those specific drivers you added.

Now granted if you're doing OS tweaks or adding software you'll of course need to go the old fashioned way and re-sysprep but for drivers it will save a ton of time and hassle.

But every time I update my image it's because of new software or new windows patches. Who the hell cares about drivers. ;)

Never though about doing the drivers that way, looks better than what I'm doing (by OEM vendor).

Oh snap just though of something, you can avoid this, it's a matter of procedure.

If sysprep runs slow every other time, just run it once! Simple eh? ;)

Build the system.
Take a pre-sysprep image. This is your core image.
Sysprep.
Image. This is the final image for deployment.

When you need to update the image, load the pre-sysprep one, update it, and re-create the "pre-sysprep" image. This means the final build only has sysprep run once.

Phoenix86 said:
Build the system.
Take a pre-sysprep image. This is your core image.
Sysprep.
Image. This is the final image for deployment.

When you need to update the image, load the pre-sysprep one, update it, and re-create the "pre-sysprep" image. This means the final build only has sysprep run once.
That's what I've been doing lately, and it seems to be working better.

Yeah I've also done it that way to resolve the "every other time" issue as well. The only problem with THAT method is when I do this:

Set up system the way I want, run sysprep

Then it comes up and I find I need to tweak something else

I would just like to run sysrep on it again and have it be fast but now I have to reimage with the "pre sysprep" image and then let that do it's thing THEN run sysprep on it.

I'm adding an extra "image the PC" process to get back to a quick sysprep turn. WHereas if it was quick each time I'd already be at the desktop ready to run sysprep.exe.

See my point?

djnes said:
That's what I've been doing lately, and it seems to be working better.
Yeah it doesn't take too many "oh I want to make this one other change" thoughts after you have run sysprep to to start making that pre-sysprep image. :eek:

Phoenix86 said:
Yeah it doesn't take too many "oh I want to make this one other change" thoughts after you have run sysprep to to start making that pre-sysprep image. :eek:
Yes, and you're actually the one who started me on this way. It was one of those times when common sense abandoned me.

Phoenix86 said:
Send the image to another HDD, and just swap drives.

This is true, in fact I have 7 machines at my desk all different models I get to play with but the problem is that they are HP's and aren't friendly to "drive swapping"!

I've considered that but look at it as "more of a hassle".

Call me spoiled :p

Grimmda said:
This is true, in fact I have 7 machines at my desk all different models I get to play with but the problem is that they are HP's and aren't friendly to "drive swapping"!
That's why I like the business line, like the d530 and the dc7100....because they use the grooves instead of actually screwing the drives into the case. Once you put the screws into the drive, it slides into a slot. It makes drive swapping tooless and easy.

djnes said:
That's why I like the business line, like the d530 and the dc7100....because they use the grooves instead of actually screwing the drives into the case. Once you put the screws into the drive, it slides into a slot. It makes drive swapping tooless and easy.
Yep, we have all HP/Compaq desktops here, nice and easy cases to work in. Such a simple mounting solution.

I've never run across that problem, but I have a feeling I haven't ever been including nearly the depth of additonal drivers as some of the people here.

But using BartPE to make filesystem changes without ever having to bring your image all the way up before reghosting it rules.

Back