SYSPREP Image that supports Single and Multi Cores

BuGaLoU

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there anyway to setup a sysprep Windows XP image that will install correctly on a single core system or a multi core system without editing the boot.ini after manually. Currently my image will install on a dual core system but only 1 CPU appears. I would like it to detect what it needs somewhere along the install process.

If there is a way in sysprep then it would be on Microsofts site somewhere. They have a whole section devoted to this. XP Pro is supposed to detect a multiprocessor and switch from the Uniprocessor HAL to the Multiprocessor one. I believe this only occurs when the computer is ACPI or one other type that I can't remember off the top of my head. You can also script the changes that you make make XP recognize the second processor and then make that part of your image so it runs at the end of Setup.

I'm not entirely sure about that but I do know that the Home users were normally the ones that didn't get to use both cores automatically. WinXP Pro and Win2003 would install the correct HAL for two cores.

Whatever the correct hal.dll in use BEFORE sysprepping should be added to your model.vbs script. Example:

Case "gx280"
fso.deletefile "C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll", true
sys32.CopyHere("C:\sysprepfiles\Hals\Halaacpi\hal.dll")
WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC\start", 4, "REG_DWORD"
HalChanged = "True"

Try searching for info about UpdateUPHAL and/or ACPIAPIC_UP. I'm not sure what the optimal line is, but our sysprep.inf detects correctly for the majority of our PCs. Latitude C840 and maybe the Optiplex GX200 didn't load right I think, but luckily we're phasing those out.

Back