Synopsys Shows World’s First USB 3.2 Demo with 20Gbps Speeds

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Systems design company Synopsys has provided an early look at the potential performance of USB 3.2, which was announced in July of last year. The latest USB specification is unique in that it supports multi-lane operation (two lanes of 5Gbps or two lanes of 10Gbps).

When these products do emerge, they will utilize commodity Type-C cables. Synopsys was very specific about the cables used in the demo. The company tells us that it used off-the-shelf Belkin USB 3.1 Type-C cables, which are the same as you can purchase at Target or other big box retails stores today.

Anyone know of another computer port that has been around a long time like USB that has actually improved? I remember cursing and beating my face against a keyboard trying to use USB 1.1 on a dell server in the 90's. I have not had a non driver or Karsus caused USB problem in a long time. It really is awesome engineering.

Just to put the speed into perspective, the max transfer rate of a SATA III port is 6Gb/s. So, two lanes at 10Gb/s for a 20Gb/s transfer rate is pretty incredible for a USB cable.

RJ45

Anyone know of another computer port that has been around a long time like USB that has actually improved? I remember cursing and beating my face against a keyboard trying to use USB 1.1 on a dell server in the 90's. I have not had a non driver or Karsus caused USB problem in a long time. It really is awesome engineering.

cant wait to see 100 years of chewy before he meet Hon

Oh hell no. I really do hate those little plastic clip things that are supposed to keep it in the socket. But at least you leave network cables alone once they're set up.

From a physical standpoint, USB is a greater challenge to build a plug specification that can handle daily use and abuse.

thunderbolt will soon be obsolete.

I know I haven't been using my thunderbolt port at all. Useless piece of shit.

I mostly agree but I'm still pretty annoyed with all the various small/mobile sizes that crept up. Micro, mini's, and couple other I don't remember. I've got a drawer full of 'em(at least 3 or 4 kinds) because of all those manufacturers who used some board that felt it was somehow necessary. They really went off the deep end.

I do remember how during 1 and 1.1 things were kind of messy and firewire was really dominating on many fronts. Around 2.0 we began to see some stabilization but then came all those mini type ports. With 3.0 I was really impressed. That combined with PCIe 3.0, prompted me to put together the rigs I'm still using today. I've been kind of on the sidelines watching the evolution of 3.1 and thunderbolt. All of it is pretty cool stuff. We've really come a long way.

I mostly agree but I'm still pretty annoyed with all the various small/mobile sizes that crept up. Micro, mini's, and couple other I don't remember. I've got a drawer full of 'em(at least 3 or 4 kinds) because of all those manufacturers who used some board that felt it was somehow necessary. They really went off the deep end.

I do remember how during 1 and 1.1 things were kind of messy and firewire was really dominating on many fronts. Around 2.0 we began to see some stabilization but then came all those mini type ports. With 3.0 I was really impressed. That combined with PCIe 3.0, prompted me to put together the rigs I'm still using today. I've been kind of on the sidelines watching the evolution of 3.1 and thunderbolt. All of it is pretty cool stuff. We've really come a long way.
Hopefully it will stabilize with c being the standard connection at least for a while.

Hopefully it will stabilize with c being the standard connection at least for a while.

USB-C is pretty amazing, but it's still fragmented as all hell. You can have it with USB 2.0 speeds, different power standards, and it can be Thunderbolt and DisplayPort.

I do certainly love the connector, though. My Pixel has one and my Ultrabook has two, and charges through one.

PCI and ps2

Oh hell no. I really do hate those little plastic clip things that are supposed to keep it in the socket. But at least you leave network cables alone once they're set up.

From a physical standpoint, USB is a greater challenge to build a plug specification that can handle daily use and abuse.

I hate that extra plastic coating that they use to keep the RJ-45 clips from breaking. It's irritating removing a bad cable from a high-density switch. Mice are another issue. Nothing like re-running mouse-chewed cable.

I hate that extra plastic coating that they use to keep the RJ-45 clips from breaking

Totally agree. It's a kind of special hell trying to remove some at times. Darn near need a pair of channel locks on hand for some. Truly ridiculous.

Back