Synology NAS and dual NICs can I get 2 Gbps speed easily over network ?

ng4ever

2[H]4U
Guessing it would require new hub or switch and router :(

Sense if your networking equipment does not support more than 1 Gbps it is pointless.

Could be wrong.

So gigabit is fully duplex so you can get 2Gbps out of a single port if everything is perfect. Your limitation is usually the nas more than anything else.

I have IP addresses assigned to each of my dual ports and I will access a different volume in the nas using a different IP so that each volume has full bandwidth. But this doesn't help if I'm doing it on the same system as the system is limited to a single gigabit port. If I use more than one system, each system can get full bandwidth to a single IP--but this is only if the volume can transfer fast enough.

If you want to do this on a single system, it is possible with dual nics. But then you will need to have a second network for the second port on the nas as well as the computer, so that there are two networks. Now, I believe the newest window 10 SMB3 is smart enough to detect multiple paths and utilize all the bandwidth, but this is the way to do it in other scenarios.

You would need a switch that's supports LACP to really get the benefit plus your nas needs to sustain 250MB/s in read or write and your destination(s) would need to be able to read and write at those speeds. All this means lots of parts need to all work together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

You would need a switch that's supports LACP to really get the benefit plus your nas needs to sustain 250MB/s in read or write and your destination(s) would need to be able to read and write at those speeds. All this means lots of parts need to all work together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation
But even with an LAAG, you still only get the benefit if it is multiple streams, but I think the newest smb3 should be able to do that by default even on a single transfer.

But even with an LAAG, you still only get the benefit if it is multiple streams, but I think the newest smb3 should be able to do that by default even on a single transfer.
Very true plus not sure he is referring to his NAS having dual 1GB nics or endpoints... IDK

Back