Synology NAS: 1tb used but no files?

Slartibartfast

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got my first NAS, a synology DS220j. I have two 4tb drives in there using SHR.

I had set it to backup my desktop computer overnight. When I woke up this morning I checked on it and saw that it was duplicating the backup: that is, putting it into two different folders, thus doubling the size of the backup. I stopped the backup and deleted one of the two folders off the NAS.

Now when I open up DSM, the NAS is reporting 1tb of disk space in use. But all of the folders show as 0 byes.

I tried mapping the folder that should have files in it to Windows. When I access that folder through windows it is also showing as 0 byes.

So I'm trying to understand what is using all that space and how to clear it out. Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

What application are you using to backup your desktop machine to the Synology NAS? If your backup software was making multiple, full copies of your data you may have it set to do daily, FULL backups instead on doing an initial full and then daily incremental/differential backups (depending on what app you are using.) When you deleted the backed-up files from the NAS, they are moved by default into a recycle bin folder. You can clear it by going into DSM to the files tab in the control panel and emptying the recycle bin which will regain the space it is using. You may also set/have defaulted to empty the recycle bin on a schedule, for example every 23 hours.

if your using "Synology Drive" it should be doing incremental backup (norm upto 30 snapshots)

Yeah I was using Synology Drive. The recycle bin is disabled for all of the shared folders, so the "empty recycle bin" button is greyed-out everywhere.

Back