Synology Hyper Backup is killing me, any ideas?

iroc409

[H]ard|Gawd
About a year or so ago I switched from plain FreeBSD to Synology, a 1520+ for a main NAS and a 920+ for a backup NAS. The backup is supposed to go in my garage, which is a separate building, over a wireless link. I haven't put it out there yet because Hyper Backup has been a hand full (and let's be honest, when it's not I'm just being lazy).

I know Hyper Backup is slow. Recently I wiped out my old backup entirely and started a new one due to a couple small issues. The initial seed backup took almost 21 days for 7.2TB of data. I cancelled the first incremental backup (scheduled for twice a week) after it had been running for 7 days without even giving any sort of progress update. Before I wiped it out, incremental backups would probably take a couple of days.

I'm seriously considering dropping Hyper Backup for rsync and maybe even going back to FreeBSD for a primary server. Where should I be looking to see if there is something wrong with the system, or a configuration issue, or something? I've been looking at bit and mostly I see people just complaining about the slow speed. This isn't over wireless yet either, just a standard 1GbE.

The only issue I've had is that the 1520+ is set up for a dynamic LAG. For some reason when I connect the ports for the LAG, the Synology disappears from the network. I can see the LAG become active at that point on my switch, so I don't think it's the switch configuration. When I disconnect the extra ports, the Synology pops right back on the network. I thought maybe this could be something, but I can't find any settings or anything and it otherwise performs fine.

ETA: It's probably compression. I don't think I had that enabled last time, or I'm going to guess that I didn't. It doesn't look like I can turn it off with an existing backup, so I guess I'll wipe the backup out again and start over without compression, and see if that gets me somewhere.

Last edited:
turn off compression (have to start fresh again) the compression limits the speed to about 5MB/s on any nas

dynamic LACP needs enabling on your managed switch on set ports the synology is plugged into or use adaptive load balancing witch works on any switch

Are your clients Windows or SMB3 compliant endpoints? If that is the case I have tried SMB3 Multichannel vs LACP and have generally seen (for single endpoint performance, which a server backup target usually is) that the SMB3 multichannel has been more performant (multiple endpoints to host is a different matter and LACP will generally win there.)

I will start over with the backup without compression and see if that helps. I am currently backup up the whole system in one backup, but I've seen suggestions to split this up. Would that help any, does that change performance at all? I've set up iPerf in a Docker instance and ran some tests to both systems, and tests from my desktop to both machines are running at line speed, with the 920+ just ever so slightly behind the 1520+.

My switch should be set up, it defaults to dynamic LACP. I'm running another LAG to my HP POE switch, where the HP won't do dynamic LAG and that connection works fine (well, the HP will but it requires great physical flexibility, a shaman and a baby tiger). When I plug in the Synology to the LAG, the switch says it comes up on all 4 ports and the connection is active. With a single connection, it just says the port is connected but the LAG is not active. The connection to my HP is a trunk port, I guess I'll check over the specs again. I probably missed something.

The SMB Multichannel, is that where you just connect the ports and let the box sort it out? It says it can do that on a normal switch with no LACP, and since clients are all 1GbE that's probably a reasonable solution. Currently I only have 1 Windows box on the internal network, and it's down for the moment. Everything else is Linux & Mac. They should be SMB3 compliant, I'll have to check.

Back