Synology 5 Bay NAS.

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a Synology 5 bay NAS that's has 3 WD 3Tb drives populated (2 empty bays).

It's getting full and I really haven't looked at drives in a long time. I'd like to stay with WD Red drives but I don't know what size to get. My default would be to get more 3Tb but that seems silly with larger capacity drives.

I don't mind paying for the 6Tb drives, but would they be good for my application? I'm asking because I remember a number of years ago they increased drive capacity without increasing platters and that led to issues. Is there a clear benefit to getting a 4, 5 or 6 Tb drive other than size?

Haven't thought of drives in years. Thanks for the help.

Well, newer drives specially NAS drives are more built for endurance, not so much for performance (not that it would make much difference on a NAS anyway).

I think its still too soon to go with 6TB, they are still expensive compared to 4TB. Its up to you to justify the price.

Well, newer drives specially NAS drives are more built for endurance, not so much for performance (not that it would make much difference on a NAS anyway).

I think its still too soon to go with 6TB, they are still expensive compared to 4TB. Its up to you to justify the price.

Don't mind the price, if it's a decent drive in comparison to the 4 and 5 Tb.

I actually purchased 2 8Tb drives for my synology NAS. A bit more expensive, but the 6Tb drives all had issues according to the reviews at the time while the 8Tb drives had very positive reviews.
No issues for me so far (other than the price at the time.. but worth it)

How old are your 3TBs? If you expand with 2 more 3TBs, when would you expect the array to approach full again?

Toshiba HDDs are a solid choice if you want consumer HDDs, I'd rate these above WD's NAS-series but that's just me.

How old are your 3TBs? If you expand with 2 more 3TBs, when would you expect the array to approach full again?

I would expect it to be about 12 months to fill an additional 3 TB. I see where you are going with it. Get another 3TB drive now and see where prices, quality and my needs are in a year. Not a bad call.

I didn't want this to turn into a Toshiba vs Seagate vs WD thread. I don't have any issues with my 3 TB WD Red drives so I'd like to stay with the brand. Just wondering if the 4, 5, or 6 Tb drives are any better or worse.

I would expect it to be about 12 months to fill an additional 3 TB. I see where you are going with it. Get another 3TB drive now and see where prices, quality and my needs are in a year. Not a bad call.
And you might want to replace your current drives with larger models by then. Depends on their age, SMART status, etc.

I didn't want this to turn into a Toshiba vs Seagate vs WD thread. I don't have any issues with my 3 TB WD Red drives so I'd like to stay with the brand. Just wondering if the 4, 5, or 6 Tb drives are any better or worse.

well the retail toshibas are only 90 bucks for 3 TB and they are decent. If you did fill it up that would last you until 6TB became reasonable in price. 5TBs toshibas are really cheap right now too.

Backblaze just released their latest report as well if you want to look at it.

I agree with this. Alot of these newer large typicality drives I have dealt with are much slower then their smaller counterparts. So depending on what you are doing with this NAS that can have a large impact.

I agree with this. Alot of these newer large typicality drives I have dealt with are much slower then their smaller counterparts. So depending on what you are doing with this NAS that can have a large impact.

what? I find that hard to believe. If anything the bigger the drive the faster it is..... Toshiba 5TB is faster then the 3TB without a doubt and my 3TB is faster then my 500 GB, 1TB, and 2 TB. So not sure what your talking about.

Again 3 TB toshibas cna be had for 90 bucks and 5TB can be had while still in stock for 140. Either max out the 3TB and in a year or 2 swap out for 6 or 8TBs or get 5TBs now and hope that lasts you long enough before some new tech comes out or you got the budget for a larger set up.

I am doing 3TBs because if I went for the 5TBs now I know when I max out my NAS there won't be a bigger HDD worth reinvesting in yet, which would mean I need to expand larger then 24 drives for it to be cost effective. switching from 5TB to 6TB or 7TB or whatever would not be worth the investment compared to going from 3TB to 6TB.

Areal density helps, but a number of NAS drives are lower RPM. And big HDs are more likely to have SMR.

As always, the best choice can't be distilled to a single spec.

oh I assumed we are talking about 7200RPM drives. I refuse to buy anything else.

Back