Symantec Ghost 8.0 Bootable CD/DVD Question

ShogunCS

Limp Gawd
Hey guys! I'm trying to create a bootable Ghost CD/DVD for a Shuttle PC of mine, basically what I'm doing is that I have a set of bootable Ghost floppy disks that get me into the Ghost program. I go about creating an Image to a DVD using high compression and making it bootable by accepting that the floppy disk set gets copied to the DVD as well. Then when the burn is complete, I check inside the disc and everything is there except for the Ghost.exe file! How come this happened as I've always done this (been awhile though) and its worked fine... am I missing a step here or do I have to add the Ghost.exe file manually to get everything on that DVD so I can boot from it and copy the image to the HDD from it. Thanks.

Not sure, but could it be a hidden file? I use ghost but I've never used it like that so I really don't have an answer, sorry!

Kathy

No prob... basically I think it might be the version I'm using.. I'm going to try a different version and see if that helps any...its so strange though cause it copies everything from the floppies onto the DVD and then it shows no ghost.exe file.. ugh...

The only files that you should see in a bootable ghost dvd are boot.bin and bootcat.bin. You won't necessarily see a ghost.exe file. Have you actually tried booting these discs? :p

Yes I've been able to boot from the floppies as well as the DVD I created. Problem is.. the ghost.exe I want to have on the DVD doesn't exist.. yet it exists on the floppies which I used to make that DVD bootable as well as store the image.

Ok I'm confused, perhaps I'm not parsing your first post correctly. If the DVDs boot, then what exactly is the problem? Is it having trouble running Ghost once it boots? Remember it doesn't matter if you don't see ghost.exe on those discs, and it's not like you're going to be ghosting while Windows is running. All that matters is that the DVD boots and ghosts, correct?

Yes. The main problem is that the ghost program will not boot up, athough the DVD is bootable and boots into MSDOS. So i am left confused as to why this would happen. I have tried ghost 7.0 which did make the DVD bootable and also started up ghost, although the image was corrupt. Ghost sucks!

I typically use the standard DOS boot disc, and then put ghost.exe and the .gho file(s) on the disc. Then you boot to a DOS prompt, run the ghost exe, and choose the image.

Yeah thats exactly what I ended up doing. It's just annoying that Ghost wouldn't do all of that in the first place since you have the option to make the CD or DVD bootable when you are creating an image. Very strange but oh well.. I'll just manually make mine from now on :cool:

Back