Symantec Endpoint 11

Nismo

[H]ard|Gawd
When this product came out, it was known for messing up server/client PCs. Also some people said it slowed things down.
Did they ever get the bugs worked out now? It's been out for 7 months or so I think.
I loved Symantec Corporate Edition and have run that for years.

I'm still seeing grumbles about it in other server forums. I mostly stopped reselling Symantec Corp Edition after version 9. I had been a reseller since version 5. Got tired of the slowdown (which got excruciatingly painful with version 10)....the misses malware (it misses ad/spyware simply too much), and the ever increasing corruptions of "push installs" to workstations, and push upgrades. I still have a few clients running it...they're non profits that love the uber low price through techsoup. I'm dying to get them off of it to a better, lighter product. But the low price for non-profits through techsoup keeps them stuck with it.

I've installed the MR2 release on a test server. It seems to be working better than the previous release, but I won't be putting it into production after the last episode anytime soon.

MR2 fixed alot of issues. I believe it is now at MR2 MP1, with MR3 coming up in the next couple months.

We are just finishing up loading this in our datacenter, users are obviously next.

Can this program be run with a single PC, and not in a client/server evironment? Where there still issues with just a single PC install without a management server?

MR3? Wow, wonder whats being addressed in that one?

I have 2 clients running endpoint 11 right now. One of them had to upgrade the memory in a bunch of notebooks to support it as they ran like ass with endpoint and less then a gig of memory. The other client only has it on a few systems where all of the rest are still running 10.1. They will be taken to 11 soon as we just upgraded the memory in all of the machines that had less then a gig.

Personaly I would try some other offerings like kaspersky, eset, etc as they have really gotten good over the years. Their network managed versions are generaly lighter and do a good job.

Yes you can.

Can this program be run with a single PC, and not in a client/server evironment? Where there still issues with just a single PC install without a management server?

MR3? Wow, wonder whats being addressed in that one?

You can adjust the file caching to reduce the memory footprint. Change Settings > Configure Settings > File System Auto-Protect > Advanced > File Cache.

I have 2 clients running endpoint 11 right now. One of them had to upgrade the memory in a bunch of notebooks to support it as they ran like ass with endpoint and less then a gig of memory. The other client only has it on a few systems where all of the rest are still running 10.1. They will be taken to 11 soon as we just upgraded the memory in all of the machines that had less then a gig.

Personaly I would try some other offerings like kaspersky, eset, etc as they have really gotten good over the years. Their network managed versions are generaly lighter and do a good job.

I only have one Endpoint deployment right now on 3 servers and 60 workstations and I havent had any critical problems with MR2 but ive had to reinstall several clients that simply refuse to update their virus definitions. MR2 is a hell of a lot better than the original release was thats for sure.

I still advise my clients to stick with corporate instead of upgrading to Endpoint and now symantec automatically includes the license file for the older versions when renewing your license even though your buying Endpoint so you can continue to run corporate and move to Endpoint once its properly fixed.

I'm still seeing grumbles about it in other server forums. I mostly stopped reselling Symantec Corp Edition after version 9. I had been a reseller since version 5. Got tired of the slowdown (which got excruciatingly painful with version 10)....the misses malware (it misses ad/spyware simply too much), and the ever increasing corruptions of "push installs" to workstations, and push upgrades. I still have a few clients running it...they're non profits that love the uber low price through techsoup. I'm dying to get them off of it to a better, lighter product. But the low price for non-profits through techsoup keeps them stuck with it.

Everything here is spot on to the troubles I had. I was gradually getting more and more frustrated with Symantec 8 - 10, and when Endpoint came out and I had nothing but trouble I ditched them for NOD32.

It is amazing how much faster my laptop (and user's laptops) are now with NOD32 vs SAV.

As having managed SAV from the 7.0 days until today, the memory footprint reputation is justly deserved.

However, SEP 11 is much less memory hungry ( i would say more than half) and the enterprise features are hard to beat.

If you haven't, i'd say give SEP 11 another try..

Back