SX8200 Pro 2TB NVMe M.2 2280 SSD vs SAMSUNG 980 PRO 2TB NVMe Gen4

Feel the difference, probably not unless you do giant transfers on a day in day out basis.

If you absolutely need the advertised speed on those SSDs, I'd stay away from the ADATAs since they've silently substituted the components on that model since the launch with inferior units. Probably not bad enough to be noticeable in unmeasured testing, but it's certainly there.
https://hardforum.com/threads/adata...-pro-ssd-again-affecting-performance.2007801/

Also, consider the WD Blue SN550 2TB at ~200$ too. The WD Black SN750 2TBs went on a discount very recently. Not sure if they are still discounted.

Feel the difference, probably not unless you do giant transfers on a day in day out basis.

If you absolutely need the advertised speed on those SSDs, I'd stay away from the ADATAs since they've silently substituted the components on that model since the launch with inferior units. Probably not bad enough to be noticeable in unmeasured testing, but it's certainly there.
https://hardforum.com/threads/adata...-pro-ssd-again-affecting-performance.2007801/

Also, consider the WD Blue SN550 2TB at ~200$ too. The WD Black SN750 2TBs went on a discount very recently. Not sure if they are still discounted.

What if I can get guaranteed the older controller on a PG SX8200 Pro 2TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 SSD?

Also how would I check to be sure once I get it ? By application once it is in my pc and on box?

What if I can get guaranteed the older controller on a PG SX8200 Pro 2TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 SSD?

Also how would I check to be sure once I get it ? By application once it is in my pc and on box?
Not sure since the SKUs are exactly the same.

Im guessing you can tell by running the same benchmarks as the people on the net and checking to see what you have. Probably you can also tell by looking at what NAND chips the drives are using.

I have a 970 evo, a 960 evo and an SN550... cant feel the difference between those models despite the big increase in theoretical speed.

When copying large files to and from... Id probably be able to tell which one is the sn550 though since Id see the MB per sec readout.

Not sure since the SKUs are exactly the same.

Im guessing you can tell by running the same benchmarks as the people on the net and checking to see what you have. Probably you can also tell by looking at what NAND chips the drives are using.

I have a 970 evo, a 960 evo and an SN550... cant feel the difference between those models despite the big increase in theoretical speed.

When copying large files to and from... Id probably be able to tell which one is the sn550 though since Id see the MB per sec readout.

Ok thank you!

Yeah i would steer clear of Adata. I got it and it sux balls. Runs wayy below it's rated speeds even with a clean os install and latest chipset drivers. I find my Samsung 981 alot faster, but given I needed more storage space, I went for the 480gb Adata SX8200 which I regret.

Yeah i would steer clear of Adata. I got it and it sux balls. Runs wayy below it's rated speeds even with a clean os install and latest chipset drivers. I find my Samsung 981 alot faster, but given I needed more storage space, I went for the 480gb Adata SX8200 which I regret.

Though the question is the 2 TB version immune to these problems or not really ?

All capacities of the sx8200 pro drives have been changed. 256/512/1tb and 2tb have all had the controller and nand changed several times. Theres a thread at toms that breaks it down as to which controllers and nand they have found.

I think I have the older version. Thank god!

I bought it in 2019 or very early 2020. Can't remember.

Sorry I found it a while ago.

Last edited:
Just to be sure can anyone confirm what version I have please?

adata ssd.jpg

I would check the other side but it has the heatsink on it. So yeah. Can't really. Thought maybe these numbers would help.

If it is the older better controller on my SSD what should my benchmark scores be around? Thanks.

The Samsung for sure is faster by numbers. But day to day, at the desktop, in games. You'll never tell the difference. Hence why I went with a really good PCI-E 3.0 NVME versus shelling out the cash for the PCI-E 4 version right away. Didn't feel like spending an extra $100. And I came from SATA. Anything was faster.

Back