Swype+Dragon Keyboard Discontinued

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
XDA Developers is reporting that the Swype Keyboard with Dragon Dictation has been discontinued. The developer Nuance made a post on reddit announcing that they will no longer be updating Swype+Dragon keyboard for Android or iOS. Swype was founded in 2002, and the public beta started on Android in 2010, being the first to introduce sliding between letters to type.

I must say I'm a little bummed, but not surprised by this. Swype was the first paid app I ever got after moving to Android, and I used it for years before switching to SwiftKey after several Swype updates had very undesirable results.

Nuance will no longer be updating the Swype+Dragon keyboard for Android. We’re sorry to leave the direct-to-consumer keyboard business, but this change is necessary to allow us to concentrate on developing our AI solutions for sale directly to businesses.

I use the default Android swype-type all the time. Are these two things the same?

I use the default Android swype-type all the time. Are these two things the same?

Depends on your phone, Swype actually came pre-installed on quite a few. More than likely you're using gBoard tho from Google

Because google took the idea and integrated it directly in Android and improved it since they have a LOT more people using it to scrape use data from.

I have the paid version as well from my droid 1 days, but never bother installing it after using the google version on pixel 2.

Still using my copy, I tried swiftkey years ago but didn't like it. Bet my 'ancient' 5.1 version of android doesn't get a good version of the google keyboard, so I'll just keep using swype.

Been using the paid version of swype for nearly 8 years. Going to stll use it until I can't or I find something better.

I used to use this, had no idea it was owned by Nuance (they own A LOT of software) who we use for a pdf editor. Among the best pdf editor I've ever seen, it will export excel docs like no other.

Just switched to Gboard after seeing this news... Gboard is way more responsive and has more features and customization than Swype ever did.

The king is dead. Long live the king!

I've been using Swiftkey for years. I did try Swype back in the day on my Droid 1. I think I used the physical keyboard more than either of them at that time.

I stopped liking it once they shoved that dragon dictation in there, the +Dragon part killed it for me

Reactions: che
like this
I like the gboard swype feature a lot. The downside is it does not support Japanese input with swype. I read about Swype supporting multiple languages, including Japanese so I bought a license. It turns out Swype's Japanese predictive text just sucks so I stopped using it.

I like the gboard swype feature a lot. The downside is it does not support Japanese input with swype. I read about Swype supporting multiple languages, including Japanese so I bought a license. It turns out Swype's Japanese predictive text just sucks so I stopped using it.

My wife has the same problem with Tagalog, it so painful to watch her pick and peck everything.

Just switched to Gboard after seeing this news... Gboard is way more responsive and has more features and customization than Swype ever did.

The king is dead. Long live the king!
I put it on my Amazon Fire. If i'm gonna be datamined for every word i write it might as well be on a keyboard that just works.
Oh god, what have i become.

I put it on my Amazon Fire. If i'm gonna be datamined for every word i write it might as well be on a keyboard that just works.
Oh god, what have i become.

There are a couple of telemetry options you can switch off in the settings. No doubt they'll still be collecting some form of data though :rolleyes:

Back