SWTOR = another Hero On A Rail game?

$60 just to get in the door before we talk about the rest of the fees. It's insane.

This point can't be overstated for this reason if nothing else:

A year or so from now this same game will be the beneficiary of a bunch of patches thanks to the slew of people paying premium dollars to be glorified beta testers now.

That's where people like me, if I even give a damn, can swoop in and get this game for $30 or less and more than likely see a free to play model, which is the way it should be anyways and the only way I'd ever even remotely consider any kind of MMO at all if the gameplay appealed to me.

What a racket. No wonder all the big publishers are taking a shot at it. I would, too.

I would rather pay $15 a month for wow with its massive servers and shit tons of content and patches than the yearly $60 for BF3 or COD and the extra $15 bi monthly map packs that still need to be played on servers provided by the community. Now that is a fucking racket especially once you consider the 3 hour campaign.

BioWare said from the beginning that the game was going to strongly emphasize the Narrative, and that is a single-player experience. It is what they said it would be.

There is a lot of other content, but not nearly as much as other MMOs. When I was playing LOTRO, it was common for my quest log to have 15 or 20 quests in it. In SWTOR, I have maybe 5 going on at a time.

BioWare said from the beginning that the game was going to strongly emphasize the Narrative, and that is a single-player experience. It is what they said it would be.

There is a lot of other content, but not nearly as much as other MMOs. When I was playing LOTRO, it was common for my quest log to have 15 or 20 quests in it. In SWTOR, I have maybe 5 going on at a time.

Which is amazing, because I hate having to track that many at once.

I would rather pay $15 a month for wow with its massive servers and shit tons of content and patches than the yearly $60 for BF3 or COD and the extra $15 bi monthly map packs that still need to be played on servers provided by the community. Now that is a fucking racket especially once you consider the 3 hour campaign.

I agree with you however IMHO we're talking about two very different and distinct rackets. ;)

If the gameplay is solid and not like typical MMOs (I just don't care for a lot of how that's handled), this is pretty much the only reason that I'm even giving this a casual consideration although there's no way I'd pony up the big cash right now to be a glorified beta tester. Free to play model? Maybe.

If the gameplay is solid and not like typical MMOs (I just don't care for a lot of how that's handled), this is pretty much the only reason that I'm even giving this a casual consideration although there's no way I'd pony up the big cash right now to be a glorified beta tester. Free to play model? Maybe.

If it goes F2P, I'll jump ship. It may make the studio more money, but I've never played a game that was improved by going free to play.

If it goes F2P, I'll jump ship. It may make the studio more money, but I've never played a game that was improved by going free to play.

AO was, but they didn't neuter the game, just prevented you from playing the latest content. Everything else was equal.

Just my musings. Nothing real weighty or scientific behind them. :)

I'll be keeping tabs on this game.

No, I meant that I have no idea what you were trying to say there. Maybe a word or two is missing?

No, I meant that I have no idea what you were trying to say there. Maybe a word or two is missing?

I wrote that poorly.

Let me try it like this:

To my observation, and maybe it's just me, but I feel like I'm either seeing a trend or the beginning of a trend where an MMO comes out with the pay model and setup like what SWTOR is using right now and then at some point down the road in that game's life (a year or so) it gets transitioned to F2P.

I wrote that poorly.

Let me try it like this:

To my observation, and maybe it's just me, but I feel like I'm either seeing a trend or the beginning of a trend where an MMO comes out with the pay model and setup like what SWTOR is using right now and then at some point down the road in that game's life (a year or so) it gets transitioned to F2P.

I wouldn't consider WOW a free to play game even though Activision claims it to be. So much of the content is cut that there's hardly any point to it.

MMOs in general have been stale for a long, long time. I don't know how you guys put up with it. WoW was fun for a little while, but even that got old fast. Every year a handful of new "WoW killers" come out and then 3 months later they're already in the sale bin. Oh sure, little things change here and there, but overall they're still all the same regurgitated crap (even WoW). The names and faces have changed, but the story remains the same.

I like it but then again I can't play mmo's like a used to. I play after work usually (1230am -5am) so there's not a ton of people on. So I'm glad I can solo most of the stuff.

I like the game because I feel like I am a hero. I don't feel like an insignificant fly on the mmo wall. I feel lke an elite, powerful being. Everyone assumes "HAOR" games as the op calls them are instantly bad. They aren't this one does it right. Makes you actually feel useful. This game has a bright future ahead of it.

I'd just love to see an MMO with new mechanics. They've just got to get rid of the target bullshit already.

If you want to see real innovation in MMO games look at what the Koreans are doing. They're light-years ahead of the US developers in terms of art and world design, and they're using all kinds of interesting combat mechanics that make WoW/ToR look as dated as they are. TERA has been out for years now and it completely got rid of auto-targeting and plays like an action game. From what I hear Blade and Soul will have mechanics similar to 3d fighting games like Tekken. They made an NBA-jam style basketball MMO that was a ton of fun and a Mario Kart MMO.

The genre over here is completely stale. In 2 months nobody will be playing ToR anymore because it's core gameplay brings nothing new.

fwiw one of the most interesting MMO games I've seen recently is Realm of the Mad God (http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/). It's simple, fun and it really nails that addictive quality that make MMOs so great. It's free, and it plays in a web-browser.

Back