switching WHS from IDE to ACHI?

moose517

Gawd
Hi guys, got a question for you. When i built my WHS i just set the sata drives to IDE mode in the BIOS. SInce then my server has grown in capacity and i added a hot swap bay. I know for that i need to switch to ACHI then for that to work. Is there anything special that needs to be done that is different from how it would be done on XP? I know with xp you need to have the drivers ready and a registry hack, is that how its done with WHS as well or can i use the vista method? Thanks for you time.

WHS is based on Server 2003, not on Vista/2008. So I'm guessing you have to use the XP method.

OK, so on my server i have a hard drive set to do a file backup of the rest of shared folders, if i take this drive and remove it from the WHS then reformat can i get all the data back then? This is kinda urgent need to know really quickly. Like in this picture is the hard drive labeled File backup

Capture-11.jpg

Will just removing this from the console then removing the hard drive altogether do it?

I know for that i need to switch to ACHI then for that to work.

I hafta ask...you don't need to be in ACHI mode if you're not going to hotswap.

Just because your hot swap bay can do it, doesn't mean you have to hotswap.

To swap a HD in WHS you need to remove the data anyway. You can just shut the server down and do the swap unpowered.

Or, am I missing something here?

i would like to just have it set as hot swap. But its to late, i already reformatted in IDE mode still because i dont have drivers needed for it to work anyway. It was a bit of a waste of time but whatever LOL.

hmmm, well after the reformat i had to reformat again due to some bizarre freezing issues. But both times that i did a reinstall during the install it did a disk check on the sy drive, is that normal?

I didn't think WHS supported ACHI at all

Its just Server2003, it supports AHCI

hmmm, well after the reformat i had to reformat again due to some bizarre freezing issues. But both times that i did a reinstall during the install it did a disk check on the sy drive, is that normal?

Ive seen it do that before, not normal, but I didnt worry about it and its been fine for me.
Did you get the AHCI drivers installed properly?

I had a lot of issues getting AHCI recognized when I installed WHS. WHS setup on modern builds is a pain, even if the PE based install succeeds, the W2k3 setup can bluescreen unless you load F6 drivers, for which you need a floppy.

I don't know of any supported way to switch to AHCI from IDE.

why to hot swap disks in whs anyway? at least in my situation where i have all drives pooled i dont see the need of messing with AHCI at all

nope, i didn't even get the ACHI drivers installed. But i'm having a serious freezing issue. I can't seem to get it to run for more than 10 minutes now, before it never shut down or froze at all. I can't seem to figure out what my issue is now. My desktop computer is doing the same thing. I ran check disk on the system drive of my server to see if maybe the drive wasnt messes up but that turned up no errors, although i did discover that 3 of my drives in it might have the bad firmware so i'm gonna have to check that out. I thought since both my Server and desktop are doing it that it might be a power issue, that doesn't seem to be it either.

Back