Switching to Android

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
I have been using my Nexus 7 for a while now and I really like it...so I am dumping my iPhone 5.

I still have 8 months left until I can get an upgrade on Verizon. But I would like to see what I could get used from the FS/FT or ebay for around $250.

Recommendations?

Just glancing at Swappa (which I would recommend buying from as well); If you could stretch out a bit more than $250, the Moto X would be the best phone for close to that price point. There was one sold recently for $275, so I'd keep an eye out for one around that price. But there's also the Droid Ultra, which is literally identical hardware and software to the Moto X except for the physical dimensions (it's a bit larger at 5" display vs 4.7' on the Moto X) and is going for right around $250 consistently on Swappa.

You also might find a Note 2, Droid DNA, Razr HD Maxx and possibly an HTC One for around or not much more than $250. I have the Note 2 and have been pretty happy with it since I got it about 15 months ago.

Moto X and the HTC One are possibly the two best Android phones ever. Moto X would be much closer to the Nexus 7 experience though. So I would suggest a Moto X. Like T4rd (politically incorrect name) said, an used Moto X would definitely be around your price range.

Depends on what's important to you. Personally, this would be my order of preference.

Note II - 5.5" AMOLED, precision pen and Smart Dock that transform it into PC like
Moto X - hands-free voice and minimal skinning
HTC One - stereo speakers and metal body

Moto G? And loose the contract? :p

edit: Or keep iphone and contract going, get Moto G and get straight talk and see how the signal is for you.....maybe drop VZ and save moneys?

Moto G? And loose the contract? :p

edit: Or keep iphone and contract going, get Moto G and get straight talk and see how the signal is for you.....maybe drop VZ and save moneys?

My company pays for the service, they only reimburse for ATT or VZW.

surprised no one has mentioned a Nexus 5 considering that would give him a nearly identical experience to his Nexus 7.

I got a Note2 on Swappa, but seems that since its on 4.3 I cannot flash a custom recovery cause it has a locked bootloader.

if you could get a LG G2 for 250-300, that would be a good deal, i love this phone, had it since launch

I got a Note2 on Swappa, but seems that since its on 4.3 I cannot flash a custom recovery cause it has a locked bootloader.

Stock is better IMHO. Plus, you can still root even with a locked bootloader which will give you things like free hotspot which is pretty much all I care about.

Stock is better IMHO. Plus, you can still root even with a locked bootloader which will give you things like free hotspot which is pretty much all I care about.

Also, there's Wanam Xposed. Pretty much gives you everything you want in a custom ROM on the stock ROM.

I've had my bootloader unlocked since I got my Note 2 (at launch), but I'd be fine without it. I've never wanted to use a custom kernel and I prefer stockish ROMs. Been using Sophisticated ROM for the past several months and been really pleased with it.

Back