Switching to AMD from 260 SLI

zero2dash

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm happy with my card performance for the most part, just wanting to drop to a single card with equal (or better if not too costing much more) performance, hopefully cooler temps, less power draw.

Right now I have 2 GTX 260 c216's in SLI. 1920x1080 (HP 2710m)
Have plenty of PSU power (HX850).
Downgrading from SR-2 to a P67/2600K system.

I've been looking primarily at 6950 2GB cards thinking that might be an equal swap. Looking to go AMD this time around since they seem to be better on the bang for buck department.

Basically I don't know if I should do it now or wait....I'm out of the loop, I don't know when the next batch of cards is coming. Obviously the longer I wait, the lower the resale value drops on what I have - so I'm trying to find a decent balance on when to jump and what to jump to.

Any thoughts are appreciated. TIA

There's no point waiting for new cards, they are still a long ways off. Are you going for one or two 6950s? Note that if you want to unlock you'd have to find a reference card, and that means buying a used card.

Basically I don't know if I should do it now or wait....I'm out of the loop, I don't know when the next batch of cards is coming. Obviously the longer I wait, the lower the resale value drops on what I have - so I'm trying to find a decent balance on when to jump and what to jump to.

Any thoughts are appreciated. TIA

The new super high end AMD videocards is rumored to be out in the Q4 of this year. I am in a similar situation. Early this year I saved over $1000 for 6990 + 6970 combo that I was thinking. But now with Battlefield 3 coming out this year. I don't want to be in the siutaiton I was when Battlefield 2 came out. I thought I was prepared but I wasn't. I WAS NOT PREPARED!

This is how I view it. If the games you are frequently playing is acceptable to you wait it out. Most of the recent games I've played are all console ports. They run stupid fast on my system. The ONLY game that made my videocard scream in pain is the Witcher 2. Setting it to uber made the game stutter like crazy. But I think that setting is there just for future hardware. From what the rumor mill is posting of the new cards. It will be a nice upgrade from the 69xx, GTX58X. So either you spend the same amount of money now or wait four to five months for something that will be worth it. I dare not say "future proof" because that is just asking for trouble :)

Do you play any games that need more than what you have? (Do any such games exist?) If you went to a bigger res or multi-monitor I could see more need. I could see the need for simplification.

I bought a GTX580SC, then returned it and went back to my single 260 after I beat the witcher 2, because I just couldn't see any point.

For what its worth, as far as I can tell from my own research you are correct and a single 6950 should be about equal to what you have.

stick with what you have or buy 1 6950

then set money aside for when BF3 comes out.

I got the 6950 because I was on 250 GTS. Had I had your SLI 260, I would not have. Everything is playable at either maxed or at least high w/1080p monitor.

Back