Switching Motherboards

RP_JAKE454

Limp Gawd
i am waiting on my new mobo from newegg which will probly be in later today, its an abit nf7-s and im replacing my asus a7v333. what i am wondering is if there are any things that i will need to save to a disc before i switch over such as internet settings like my ip and all that. i am going to borrow my friends xp cd so i figured i should be all set after i install it. i dont want to back anything up unless its absoultely necessary because i want a nice fresh copy of xp to start from so im not worried about any unnecessary files and such. If you recommend me saving anything please let me know!

You don't have to back anything up. The only things that I would back up is your internet favorites, and maybe like game saves or other files you don't want to lose.

It sounds like you're going from a VIA chipset to an NVidia. If you just move your hard drive from one to the other, you'll get a BSoD.

Are you running Win2k or XP? If so, go to the device manager, and switch the IDE controller from a VIA specific driver to the generic PC driver. This *should* let you boot the machine with a new board.

Back