Switching motherboards

I've been having problems with my BIOSTAR TA790GXB3 motherboard. I have RMA'ed it 3 times now and they wont send me a new board. It will work fine for 3-6 months then fail and not post. I have also RMA'ed my memory G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) and replaced the hard drive. The processor that I am using is the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition. I am looking for a motherboard that will support these components. I was thinking an Asus but I'm looking for some advice. Thanks

-Pat

Depends onbwhat you're wanting to spend. The Asus Sabertooth is my favorite and I think its the best AMD motherboard on the market right now.

Not to be a dick though but are you sure its a motherboard issue? 3 boards in a row exhibit the same problem sounds like another component is the culprit.

I have to agree with the 2nd poster...3 bad RMA'ed boards means either Biostar has absolute crap service or something else is the matter (power supply perhaps). I've fully trouble shoot before bitting the bullet on a new motherboard.

Really just trying to get it up and running again. Trying to spend around $100. I've checked my power supply and it works fine unless its some transient problem that I cant find. I have not rma'ed my power supply but it might be out of warranty now. Biostar calms they "fix" it then mail it back to me. I know its the same board because the serial number is the same. I dont know the policy on motherboards but I figure if you send it back more than once they will send you a new one. Each time they have said there was a problem and "fixed" it. I'm going to swap out my power supply with a friend's and try that.

...are you overclocking the processor? My point being..... In my experiences, Biostar has not had the most success with putting out better quality products. And it could very well be that your processor is burning up the vrms. The board is only a 4+1 phase, and I really doubt its a 4+1 of any quality. Running that 955 stock is torturous for that board, and if you have any type of OC. I'd say forget about it.

But we need more info on your system and the way it is set up. How about a complete list of hardware and settings.

Back