Switching Keyboard Input?

dextr3k

Gawd
Hi Guys,

I'm an iphone user so this is a little out of my understanding, but I thought someone would know how to do this.

My friend has a MyTouch from T-mobile with swype installed. She is chinese and so would like to have the Chinese input like my iphone does. I went into settings, keyboard language, touch input, and added the Chinese input methods. All the signs point to it worked, it even adds an option for Chinese Input options. But for the life of my I cannot get the keyboard to switch to these inputs. I click SYM and the key marked "EN", but the only options come up are english and spanish. I turned off swype and I cant even find anything resembling a language switcher.

It is so simple on the iphone, so I am so stumped....anyone have any inputs? I am unable to word this problem into a sentence to search google, so I cant get anywhere from there. haha....

So there is no native capability for international keyboards like in IOS? hmmm, thanks for the reply.

So there is no native capability for international keyboards like in IOS? hmmm, thanks for the reply.

Oh yes, the capability is certainly there. Buy a phone in asia and it will have several languages. It's pretty much only the US phones that have next to nothing (while having an absurd amount more of bloatware).

BUT, after you install any of the free keyboards on the market, the easiest way to switch to it is to simply long press on any text box and click on input method.

Thanks for that input, I will give it a try next time i get my hands on it.

What completely threw me off my hunt was that i was getting options for Chinese Input, as in, how do you want to input, traditional or simplified chinese, and how you want your dictionary to fix fuzzy words. Having all these options gave me the illusion that I would be able to input in these languages....

Hmm strange. Tried it on HTC EVO 2.2, same steps as u did, language & keyboard settings, input settings, international keyboard, scroll down, choose Chinese.

I was able to get Chinese character keyboard, though having no knowledge on simplified or traditional Chinese other than knowing the differences of the two, I don't know what I'm looking at.

Maybe you forgot to disable swype?

Long press in empty text box, INPUT METHOD, choose Touch Input.

Swype as far as I know doesn't support all the languages the stock Android keyboard does.

Maybe you forgot to disable swype?
Swype as far as I know doesn't support all the languages the stock Android keyboard does.

Didn't think about that, but re-reading the OP it looks like that.

Go back to the stock Android keyboard and you should be able to choose it.

Thats exactly it. I disabled Swype, but didn't know you had to change the input method to touch.

Thanks guys, worked exactly like that. We got the Chinese up and running. yay.

Back