switching from Nvidia to AMD, need to do anything special?

needmorecarnitine

Supreme [H]ardness
I assume these days are past but is there a need to use driver cleaners or anything similar?

Win 10 and also running MSI Afterburner

going from a GTX 760 to a RX 470

Nothing.. unistall current drivers, turn off the machine, unistall current GPU, install new GPU, turn on the machine, install new drivers.. go to play some games..

Get ready for shit performance....just kidding :).

DDU is all you really need.

Nothing.. unistall current drivers, turn off the machine, unistall current GPU, install new GPU, turn on the machine, install new drivers.. go to play some games..
I did this when I went from AMD 290x/290 to a Nvidia GTX 1070. Had crashes, screen corruption, some games would not work.

Used DDU and it worked, stable as can be.

As said, DDU to uninstall drivers and then install AMD drivers; enjoy.

You know, if you are going to say "DDU", you might as well say "Display Driver Uninstaller" and then provide a link to it. Of course, if the site is throwing a "There is a server resource overage report open for this account in the User area." message, you can always get it from MajorGeeks.

Of course, if you are going to switch from Team Green to Team Red, you might as well save up the money for a FreeSync monitor. That's one advantage that Team Red has.... the adaptive sync technology is open and is cheaper than Team Green's G-Sync. :(

I did this when I went from AMD 290x/290 to a Nvidia GTX 1070. Had crashes, screen corruption, some games would not work.

Used DDU and it worked, stable as can be.

I'm normally switching between Nvidia and AMD cards and since Crimson Drivers I never had a single issue with switching cards, but yes, issues happens and when those happens DDU it's the choice, even when sometimes DDU also present their own issues.

Most issues with Switching from AMD to Nvidia are related to UEFI management as even up to the launch of Fury X cards, AMD cards were Legacy so non-UEFI by default when Nvidia cards since Kepler are UEFI by default which are what can cause issues, some AMD manufacturers provide their cards as UEFI/Legacy so no issues there.

Just did this in my dads PC , went from HD 6870 to a GTX 1060. Uninstalled AMD Drivers, Restarted. Deleted AMD folders in program files / Program Files X86. Emptied Recycle bin. Downloaded newest drivers from Nvidia, installed, Restarted. Played.

I have gone back and fourth a few times between red and green. Driver cleaners are no longer necessary. Driver Cleaner even once bricked my Windows install several years ago so I don't use it or anything like it. Just uninstall current drivers, remove card, install new card, install new drivers. It is that simple. Completely painless on Windows 7 or 10 (never used 8).

AMD Crimson Drivers are Miles ahead of Nvidia Drivers. I'm almost in love with AMD all over again.... *rolls Dice* Come on Ryzen!

AMD Crimson Drivers are Miles ahead of Nvidia Drivers. I'm almost in love with AMD all over again.... *rolls Dice* Come on Ryzen!

still not Contrast, Gamma Color and Saturation override per game/application via control panel. that's the only thing I want on my AMD drivers to consider better than Nvidia.

I bought my wife an RX 470, it's a great card for the money. She's very happy with the performance in just about everything she plays. ARK gives her some fits, but I think that is ARK just being a hog.

Doing the same. Divorced last year and sold my 1440p GSYNC Acer and 980ti. Now have a couple 1080p displays and an RX 470 out for delivery this morning. The last time I owned a non-Nvidia card they were still ATi and I had my first Athlon64 CPU. Was that like early Pentium 3 days?

OP, please share you experience with the new card.

Thanks!

Be prepared for possible frustrations with drivers after DDU but if you end up not having any then just sit back and enjoy!

Back