Switching from AHCI to RAID causes BSOD

FireBean

Gawd
I have the latest BIOS and Drivers loaded
I installed window 7 in AHCI mode
Boot drive is in Sata port 0

After changing from AHCI to RAID, Windows 7 will BSOD on start up.

I'm trying to use the SSD Caching feature of my Z68 board. I'm doing this because I have lost 3 SSDs to controller issues already, I'm not taking any more chances.

You have to install the OS under the setting that you will be using. You cannot change from AHCI to RAID after install, only before.

*Unless there is a special program or utility that will allow you to that I don't know of.

Last edited:
You have to install the OS under the setting that you will be using. You cannot change from AHCI to RAID after install, only before.

*Unless there is a special program or utility that will allow you to that I don't know of.

This is only if you are changing from IDE to AHCI/RAID mode. Even then, all you have to do is make sure the AHCI drivers are installed and change a registry entry.

To boot in a reasonable amount of time Windows is making some assumptions about your computers hardware instead of running a long scan in compatibility mode every single time. If those assumptions are wrong it will BSOD because the hardware isn't behaving how Windows thinks it will. Windows can switch which drivers are being used for the boot disk controller after install, it just needs to be told to by a registry tweak.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-change-...o-ahci-raid-in-bios-after-installing-windows/

So you basically reset the driver setup in the registry, shut down, change the controller setup in the BIOS, then reboot and let Windows detect the change and reconfigure the registry and drivers as needed.

Just wanted to mention this was the first hit on google for me when I encountered this issue. David's link worked like a charm. Thanks.

Back