Switching 2 Roku XDS & Apple TV... WDYGT?

9guns

Limp Gawd
so after my wife and i have battled through our HTPC experience, we've decided to go the way of a Roku XDS (Hulu Plus) and an Apple TV (iTunes, Netflix, Pandora). what do you guys think?

I LOVE my Roku for Netflix and Revision 3. I don't find myself watching any of the other channels. I would rather watch Tekzilla on the Roku than my PC or HTPC... it just works.

Why not just build an HTPC? If you've tried the HTPC route before, what happened that gave you the negative experience?

Other then that, these streaming media players don't do as much as what an HTPC does. I'd probably suggest an older Apple TV with XBMC (well, the new one can be jail broken and run XBMC too).

Why not just build an HTPC? If you've tried the HTPC route before, what happened that gave you the negative experience?

Other then that, these streaming media players don't do as much as what an HTPC does. I'd probably suggest an older Apple TV with XBMC (well, the new one can be jail broken and run XBMC too).

I originally wanted it for my wife but after a few months, I found out she only uses netflix, hulu plus, pandora, and itunes. we don't use it for anything else at all so I think it's really under utilized and those two media streamers are what we would actually need. so I'm selling "the scout"...

so after selling off my HTPC to a guy on [H], buying an iPad 2, buying apple TV and a roku XD (returned)...

i'm happy as hell with my iPad 2 / apple TV w/ airplay combo. yes, yes those two cost me about $150 more than my prior HTPC but they work so well w/ just netflix / iTunes. help!!!:eek::eek::eek: i'm being pulled farther into the reality distortion field!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Get an apple TV 2, you can put XBMC on there, and Netflix works as well.

An HTPC can do far more... but if that's all you need to do, then I say you are doing just fine. Less possibilities of future hassle and more wife-friendly. Especially if you have already gone the full-fledged HTPC route and don't find yourself missing anything. AppleTV+ipad/iphone/itunes is certainly "limited" but more than enough for the average person's needs.

Yeah, and I don't feel guilty about leaving a 6W device on all the time. It'd be a bit higher with a *true* HTPC. It has a high WAF as well. ;)

Back