Switched to HDMI, now less clear?

Lt.Col.Dehler

Limp Gawd
Ok so my hdmi cable finally arrived today and i put her on and the quality of the image seems far less then the standard DVI. It seems like the colors are all weird also, it just doesnt seem right. Also when i put it into full 1080p the computer screen doesnt even take up the whole screen.
If it helps i have a HD3870. Im sure there are some settings i should change somehwere. Also how do i get audio for my hdmi input through my computer? i got this male to male headphone jack thing that i used because my tv has an input for it next to the DVI input. The HDMI inputs dont have any sound channels near them as i beleive hdmi cables carry sound from lets say a dish box or xbox 360.

I just bought one of those. (47LG50) It arrived yesterday. At least from what I've read about it, apparently it has some sort of image processing meant for TV/Movies that screws with PC inputs over HDMI. Just looking at my TV's menus, perhaps setting noise reduction to off in the advanced picture menu would help. Noise reduction generally used to mean something more like "fine detail removal," and really only helped on dirty sources. I don't know what it would do on an HD signal. At least as far as my experience with a number of video in and TV tuner cards goes, noise reduction can be really nice on a dodgy analog TV signal, but is completely useless on a computer display.

I haven't had a chance to really screw around with my 47LG50 yet. I played with the TV settings a bit & hooked it up to my laptop once over VGA, but haven't gotten around to dragging the docking station over to the TV so I could try it with a digital connection (only have VGA built-in). My first priority is fixing the brain-damaged Toshiba video driver. It doesn't offer any HDTV modes. No 1080 or 720, just computer monitor modes. I'll just install a standard NVidia driver if I have to, I've tried it before and it worked fine, though it said I had a GeForce 7300 (same chip). Last time it didn't help (Quadro NVS 110M just won't do 1920x1200 over DVI).

Also when i put it into full 1080p the computer screen doesnt even take up the whole screen.
This might be the reason for the lack of clarity, it seems you have overscan on.
Overscan makes the picture about 5% larger so the edges are off the screen.
This also prevents pixel for pixel mapping so you end up with the same effect as not running an LCD at its native res.

Overscan is for TV broadcasts where the edges of the picture often have data or a wobble on them, making the picture bigger shifts them off the display area.

If it still looks washed out, try turning the brightness down.

there's options in your control panel to manage size of hd display. However, you might actually be using a stretched setting or a custom setting for video viewing that needs to set to default again.

I just bought one of those. (47LG50) It arrived yesterday. At least from what I've read about it, apparently it has some sort of image processing meant for TV/Movies that screws with PC inputs over HDMI. Just looking at my TV's menus, perhaps setting noise reduction to off in the advanced picture menu would help. Noise reduction generally used to mean something more like "fine detail removal," and really only helped on dirty sources. I don't know what it would do on an HD signal. At least as far as my experience with a number of video in and TV tuner cards goes, noise reduction can be really nice on a dodgy analog TV signal, but is completely useless on a computer display.

I haven't had a chance to really screw around with my 47LG50 yet. I played with the TV settings a bit & hooked it up to my laptop once over VGA, but haven't gotten around to dragging the docking station over to the TV so I could try it with a digital connection (only have VGA built-in). My first priority is fixing the brain-damaged Toshiba video driver. It doesn't offer any HDTV modes. No 1080 or 720, just computer monitor modes. I'll just install a standard NVidia driver if I have to, I've tried it before and it worked fine, though it said I had a GeForce 7300 (same chip). Last time it didn't help (Quadro NVS 110M just won't do 1920x1200 over DVI).

Im going to try and switch to HDPC cables now and see what that does. if nothing ill just go back to normal vga so i can have sound.

Back