switch or router?

basic scenario is that my house runs SBC DSL through the 2wire configuration. the main hub only has one port for an ethernet cable, which runs to my dads computer. 2wire provides hardware that should connect my comptuer through a splitter via a phonejack, then usb into my computer. that is no longer working so...

would i be better off getting a switch or a router to bring the connection to my computer upstairs?

well...

first of all

when your 2wire device is "dishing dhcp" what address' are you recieving... are they local NAT addresses... or WAN addresses....

if its a NAT address your answer is a switch... if it is a WAN address your answer is a router.

ask more questions... maybe I can explain better.

bored-sarcasm said:
basic scenario is that my house runs SBC DSL through the 2wire configuration. the main hub only has one port for an ethernet cable, which runs to my dads computer. 2wire provides hardware that should connect my comptuer through a splitter via a phonejack, then usb into my computer. that is no longer working so...

would i be better off getting a switch or a router to bring the connection to my computer upstairs?
My grandma has a 2wire setup and it is just a cable modem, nothing more.

Sounds way to complicated. Just get a router (if your device is not one) and be done with it. Unless SBC is giving you 2 IP's you will need a router OR have to purchase additional IP's from SBC. In the long run the router will be the cheaper route, by a lot.

I have one FS btw for 20 bucks shipped (Dlink DI-604). PM Me if you are interested.

In my experience, every 2wire system from SBC i've setup/troubleshot is a router doing NAT. They commonly assign IPs in the 172.16.1.X range.

At my parent's house I have a switch behind the 2wire sharing the connection with all the computers in the house, so for your setup, a switch should also work fine. Another router isn't necessary.

Back